Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBII in linux!

Default EBII in linux!

Hello EB2 community! It has been a while since I've helped out here, mostly because I migrated to linux, and Medieval Total war 2 is not supposed to run well on the newest WINE (1.7.50 right now) - only with the stable 1.6.2, which is rather dated frankly

Before installing EB2 I went into the main game, and it opened, BUT anywhere where there was video, there was immense lag - im talking 1 frame per 20 seconds.
    I installed EB2 with not much hopes, made a little script to execute the game

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

cd .wine/drive_c/Games/SEGA/Medieval\ II\ Total\ War/
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine
    wine-development kingdoms.exe \@mods/EBII/EBII.cfg
    I am running debian, that is why it is wine-development, not just wine.

.... but the intro movie ran smoothly! Navigating menus is smooth (maybe because no background movies); but it froze after clicking Quick battle (or i ran out of patience?).

So I thought I would have a go at seeing how the game plays, and post feedback.

Please note I did not max out the settings, this was just a test so I ran it in wine's emulated desktop so its in a nice little window- saw some old game-play bugs I know and love as well (AI skirmishers endlessly running forward and back from my spearmen because their skirmishing aggro range is too big)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-09-03 15-34-13.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	329299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-09-03 15-45-40.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	329301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-09-03 16-00-28.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	329302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-09-03 16-05-58.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	329303
    I'm glad to report that, gameplay wise, its exactly the same as in windows, so congrats EB2 team for building a mod that runs better than the vanilla game on a linux system!

Also I'm super happy that progress is being made in the game's scripting, as promised I said I'd contribute more after my thesis, so that will be happening soon.

Cheers,

TwigV
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot from 2015-09-03 15-32-03.jpg  

Default Re: EBII in linux!

Nice, I got it running but couldn't figure out why the campaign was crashing. Turns out I'd forgotten to include the '\@mods/EBII/EBII.cfg' bit.

Hi, sorry for my english.

I have Kingdoms gold edition.

The mod is installed but when I want to start a campaign, the mod freeze.

Please help me.

Thanks for reading my english.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicollo da Conti View Post
    Nice, I got it running but couldn't figure out why the campaign was crashing. Turns out I'd forgotten to include the '\@mods/EBII/EBII.cfg' bit.
    Ideally you would want to make the first line"cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Games/SEGA/Medieval\ II\ Total\ War/" to make the script work from any directory rather than only from home.
    Yea I shamelessly stole that script from the WineHQ page on https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=18591

DiodonFR, I can hazard a guess you hae the same issue as Nicollo (you are using linux right?). Just make the script, and change the path to the game so its right, change wine-development to wine (probably) and enjoy.

I have the Steam version, so IIRC the '@mods/EBII/EBII.cfg' goes in Steam's launch options?

Also, just posted this - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-to-Linux-Mac

I have the Steam version, so IIRC the '@mods/EBII/EBII.cfg' goes in Steam's launch options?

Also, just posted this - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-to-Linux-Mac
    Oh wow, nice a linux port. Don't get your hopes up too high about the linux port when it comes to EB2, my experience with similarly ported games is that existing mods don't reliably work. But at least EB2 doesn't have any dll files or whetever, so it might work.

I don't use the steam version unfortunatly. I was under the impression that in the steam version you have to select the mod from the launcher. Launching the launcher in linux doesn't work (maybe it needs some .net stuff installed?), so if you have the steam version running under wine you will have a problem. Unless you install a crack for the steam version(which exists but I can't tell you where to look), and then run the game as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TwigV View Post
    Don't get your hopes up too high about the linux port when it comes to EB2, my experience with similarly ported games is that existing mods don't reliably work. But at least EB2 doesn't have any dll files or whetever, so it might work.
    Yeah, getting DarthMod to run with Empire/Linux was nasty. Had to borrow 'new game' save files from a Windows install to get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by TwigV View Post
    I don't use the steam version unfortunatly. I was under the impression that in the steam version you have to select the mod from the launcher. Launching the launcher in linux doesn't work (maybe it needs some .net stuff installed?), so if you have the steam version running under wine you will have a problem. Unless you install a crack for the steam version(which exists but I can't tell you where to look), and then run the game as I do.
    There's no M2TW launcher anymore (thank $deity), just a typical Steam dialog box to select, so if I had to guess... rename the EBII folder to one of the existing Kingdoms campaigns, include the .cfg reference in the launch options, and select the 'fake' Kingdoms campaign to launch EBII.

At least, that's the early hope.

There's no M2TW launcher anymore (thank $deity), just a typical Steam dialog box to select, so if I had to guess... rename the EBII folder to one of the existing Kingdoms campaigns, include the .cfg reference in the launch options, and select the 'fake' Kingdoms campaign to launch EBII. At least, that's the early hope.
    Yea so I don't own it on steam - but if I did here is what I would try: 1st) Try to run eb2 through a script like mine, because just maybe kingdoms.exe doesn't need to be opened through steam directly 2nd) I would do what you said: backup one of the Kingdoms campaigns; and replace that one with eb2. Then hope that launcher settings get applied correctly. But if launching the game happens like I am imagining (a little dialogue box with bullet points where you pick what you launch), then setting launcher options for the game might not be affecting that? maybe? Dunno. 1st idea should be the most reliable to test.

I am using Elementary OS system. My linux knowledge does not go beyond simple terminal commands like terminating processes or following internet help when I have issues with something etc.. I have never used nor configured wine.. I use intel integrated graphics card on this system but I could launch EBII with it on windows before.

I own a retail Gold Edition M2TW which has a serial key digit missing inside it resulting in me having to use no cd patch before.
    I also own M2TW on steam.

Considering everything I have written above, is it possible for me to play EBII? Is it possible for me to play the current version and then update it to the Autumn Release?

If I provide you every answer you need about my current hardware and software, can you guys post links for me to follow and install and configure EBII? (I'm not considering the possibility of you writing a stepbystep guide for me because most probably that'd be extremely time consuming and boring for you)

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Considering everything I have written above, is it possible for me to play EBII? Is it possible for me to play the current version and then update it to the Autumn Release?
    Only one way of knowing - try it out!

Follow this guide http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?149350-M2TWG-EB2-03-under-linux-with-wine-1-7-xx-guide

Basically start from point 5, and use winetricks to configure the wine. I recommend doing what I did, which is use 'winecfg' (this can be run through winetricks too) - and go to graphics, and tick emulate virtual desktop, and then set a resolution you'd like. The reason for this is that you don't lose access to your system in case of lockup, and you can still kill the game with 'kill -9 [game.exe]' if it locks up occasionally (which it will).

I run a lot of other things in my wine so sometimes its hard to say what specific part of my config is useful - but the guide written will take you far enough that if you still have some issues, they can be tackled easily.

Feedback would be of great use for the team, especially pertaining to your graphic card. I run a ATI 6870, with mesa drivers, for reference.

Great! Thanks my friend! I will start ASAP after I come back from work.

Here's a question though, do you recommend me tackling the steam version or the retail version?

And about my retail version.. It is missing a cd key digit which I have confirmed from some other Turkish Gold Retail users, will I be able to use a pirate patch to make it work on linux? (As for official people reading this thread, I see it as my right to play the game I purchased in an official box which inherently doesn't work, can post here the pic of the cd's, box, missing number serial place and everything related to my product so please don't erase this post)

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Great! Thanks my friend! I will start ASAP after I come back from work.

Here's a question though, do you recommend me tackling the steam version or the retail version?

And about my retail version.. It is missing a cd key digit which I have confirmed from some other Turkish Gold Retail users, will I be able to use a pirate patch to make it work on linux? (As for official people reading this thread, I see it as my right to play the game I purchased in an official box which inherently doesn't work, can post here the pic of the cd's, box, missing number serial place and everything related to my product so please don't erase this post)
    I use a cracked copy for the simple purpose that I do not wish to fumble about with CDs. As for the key, look around you will find some, but I think commenting on where to find it is not appropriate in this forum.

Oh and as a side note, apparently make sure you run medieval.exe (vanilla game), before running EB2, apparently that is a requirement. If you read my OP, I state that the vanilla game doesn't work in wine, but EB2 does, so be patient with it.

I decided to run back to windows for the sake of EBII especially for the upcoming Autumn Release
    The link you provided is probably very useful but I couldn't even adjust the virtual machine to 32bit without struggling big time with an error I got.. All of the guides which I checked online prerequire I know some basic stuff about configuring or installing wine which I lack. Linux gaming is still beyond me I guess

Can OP or someone else please make a step by step guide of how to do this in Linux? What exactly needs to be changed?

I've been trying to install EB2 for the Linux version of M2TW, which I have in Steam. I use Wine to run the executable and I point it at /home/me/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Medieval 2 Total War. But how then do I launch it?

I've tried replacing one of the kingdoms campaigns too. I replaced the contents of .../Medieval 2 Total War/share/data/mods/crusades with the contents from the EBII folder, but then when I try to run "crusades" I get an error and it can't launch.

I don't know anything about scripting so I haven't tried launching it with a script but I'd be willing to try that if someone tells me how. I don't know anything about Steam launch options either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've just tested Medieval II installed via Steam on my linux (xubuntu 14.04) and it runs just fine!

Now I would try Europa Barbarorum II but I don't wanna mess too much with my installation...
    Should I follow the instruction given for Mac?

someone could point me in the right direction (i.e. link to a topic/post with guidelines), or give me some kind of "instructions"?

Thank you!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

What version of M2TW are you using? Feral Interactives?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    What version of M2TW are you using? Feral Interactives?
    Yes, from Steam.

Moderator Emeritus

1) Copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder).

2) Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data

3) Play
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    1) Copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder).

2) Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data

3) Play
    I use a PC with dual boot Win7/Xubuntu thus I have a "shared" steamapps folder I use both with Windows and linux.
    By making your suggested modifications I could disrupt the Windows EBII installation?

Moderator Emeritus

Yes but then you could just play on Windows normally? Linux needs those workarounds as their pathing for settlements and banners is broken, Feral Interactive said they are looking into it but I am not sure how long it will take them to fix it.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast