Thread: Elders and Greatbeards

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Default Elders and Greatbeards

As an avid dwarf fan I'm wondering, are Elders and Greatbeards units canon or are they just their to make the dwarves even more badass?

Default Re: Elders and Greatbeards

In tabletop (at least from my experience of using the 6th and 8th edition books), there is such a unit as Longbeards, who are essentially the clan elders. In the 6th/7th ed book, they were considered an upgrade (+1 WS, S, and a few extra special rules to make the line that bit harder to break) to a unit of normal Dwarf Warriors, with the caveat that there could never be more Longbeard units on the table than normal clansdwarves. The Dwarf Lord's "Royal Blood" special rule allowed 1 more unit of Longbeards than Warriors to represent the Dwarf Lord's own Clan. In the 8th ed book, they retain the profile and rules differences to Warriors, but are considered a separate unit rather than an upgrade, and can be fielded in as many units as the player wishes.

Make sense?

Default Re: Elders and Greatbeards

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrazor View Post
    In tabletop (at least from my experience of using the 6th and 8th edition books), there is such a unit as Longbeards, who are essentially the clan elders. In the 6th/7th ed book, they were considered an upgrade (+1 WS, S, and a few extra special rules to make the line that bit harder to break) to a unit of normal Dwarf Warriors, with the caveat that there could never be more Longbeard units on the table than normal clansdwarves. The Dwarf Lord's "Royal Blood" special rule allowed 1 more unit of Longbeards than Warriors to represent the Dwarf Lord's own Clan. In the 8th ed book, they retain the profile and rules differences to Warriors, but are considered a separate unit rather than an upgrade, and can be fielded in as many units as the player wishes.

Make sense?
    The mod has Longbeard warriors, Longbeards with axes, Greatbeards, and Elders. As far as I know, on the tabletop "greatbeard" is just a slang term for longbeards with great axes, but those are present in the mod separately. It looks like the mod devs made up newer, more elite versions, probably to fill in the Dwarf roster better.