Thread: End turn times between 4-5 minutes.

Locko's Avatar Laetus

Default End turn times between 4-5 minutes.

So I just reinstalled M2TW with the sole purpose of playing this mod but every time I click on 'end turn' I'm met with at least a 4-5 minute wait for the next turn to begin. I remember having this problem a few years ago but managed to find a solution through Google that reduced my waiting time to under a minute. However, I've been unable to find any such solution this time around and waiting this long every turn is an immense buzz kill.

I have a clean install of M2TW & Kingdoms, and a clean install of TATW 3.2.
    I don't have any submods installed and I've moved my SEGA folder outside Program Files (x86), read somewhere that that'd be a considerable help... It wasn't.

I'm certain something can be done as, like I said, I've done it before.

Before anyone asks about my system specs- My pc isn't great at all, but I can run M2TW on max settings + large unit size with no lag and have tried running TATW on minimum settings but there's no noticeable difference.

tldr; Time between turns is too long, any way to shorten the wait?

Cheers,
    Steve.

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section, please move if necessary)

Default Re: End turn times between 4-5 minutes.

1) Take Ownership of your main M2TW folder ( use this method explained here in first post: Edit Security, unhide hidden folders, search the VirtualStore for Program Files(x86)/Medieval 2TW folder, and delete M2TW folder if you find it there)

2) Defragment your HDD ( if you have an SSD, do not defragment your SSD. If you have an SSD+HDD, and your M2TW is installed on your HDD, then defragment your HDD only).

3) In your TATW Video settings, turn off ALL Shadows, turn off Anti-Aliasing, set Shaders to 2, turn off Bloom and reflections etc..

4) Check out this guide here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Guide-for-TATW

I would advise: System Restore first, then:

Services and MSCONFIG section, Disabling unnecessary windows features section, Large Address Aware or Kingdoms More than 2GB Usage Patch section, Tweaking Windows Update section, Disabling Context Indexing section.

5) When you start TATW, hit ALT + TAB on your Keyboard, and start Task Manager, and give Kingdoms.exe Higher Priority ( in Processes). Then return back to your TATW. More info here on giving priority to a program : http://superuser.com/questions/44003...rocessor-speed
    Last edited by ElvenKind; September 01, 2015 at 02:43 PM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Locko's Avatar Laetus

Thanks for the reply Elven.

1) I already had ownership of the folder, found the Medieval 2 folder in VirtualStore and deleted it... No difference.

2) De-fragmented my HDD... No difference.

3) Had already tried running with bare minimum settings and made no difference whatsoever.

5) Setting the max priority to Kingdoms.exe in Task Manager made a slight difference, but still could not get under the 4 minute mark.

4)None of the suggestions in that guide helped... apart from the Large Address Aware patch which has reduced my waiting to under 45 seconds each turn!

Hard to believe after all of this stress that the solution was an itty-bitty 40kb application.
    I appreciate you taking the time to offer some advise Elven, I was starting to lose hope.

Finally time to conquer Middle Earth!

Make sure your drivers are updated.

Turn times depend on your processor, there are free programs to help manage this while playing games.

Also make sure you have at least a few GB's of free space on the hard drive that your OS is installed on and keep that drive fairly defragmented, this can affect many things.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    (...)
    Also make sure you have at least a few GB's of free space on the hard drive that your OS is installed on and keep that drive fairly defragmented, this can affect many things.
    Good advice, but only if your OS really is installed on a disk.

Never defrag a SSD as it will not bring any benefits. In fact doing so will reduce the lifespan of your SSD.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze