Thread: [BI] How to fix Roxolani campaign map ship model/texture mismatch

Libertus

Default [BI] How to fix Roxolani campaign map ship model/texture mismatch

The solution to this glitch left by the CA is explained in Post #2!

Since Roxolani can get ships in the original BI, I can only assume this is an error CA never addressed, probably because the Roxolani were never originally playable.

I'm using BI version 1.6. When you get any ship for the Roxolani, the "model_strat" for the ship on the campaign map is red, just like the Julii faction from RTW:

This is the only campaign map ship that seems to have any unexpected errors. I even gave the Huns boats and a basic port (which they cannot get in the vanilla game), and the model for the Hun ship on the Campaign map comes out correctly:

So, I'm not sure what is causing this mismatch between the model and the texture to cause it to revert back to the default "Julii" model and texture.

The entry for the Roxolani campaign map ship in the descr_model_strat.txt is the following in the vanilla campaign:

Code:
    type     roxolani_admiral
    skeleton    strat_navy
    indiv_range    40
    texture  sarmatians,  bi/data/models_strat/textures/navy_roxolani.tga
    model_flexi    data/models_strat/navy_roman.cas, max
    shadow_model_flexi   data/models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.cas, max
    I've changed "sarmatians" to "roxolani" in front of "texture", I've changed the "model_flexi" from "navy_roman.cas" to "navy_barb.cas", and I've double-checked the spelling of the texture "navy_roxolani.tga" entry... nothing I did changed the red ship for the Roxolani, and, unless I'm really blind, the texture entry is spelt correctly for the "navy_roxolani.tga.dds" file inside the model_strat\texture folder.

And this is the "navy_roxolani.tga.dds" file inside that folder as seen from GIMP:

This looks correct to me.

I have no idea what to do to fix this. This is a problem from the vanilla BI as far as I can tell. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or does anyone have a link to someone who explains how to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Crusader Vanguard; October 02, 2015 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Inform everyone there is a fix!

Libertus

Default Re: [BI] How to fix Roxolani campaign map ship model/texture mismatch [SOLVED!]

I figured out how to fix this glitch the CA left for us inside Barbarian Invasion:

Step 1: Open up your BI's "descr_character.txt" file inside the BI/data folder. Scroll down to the bottom of the file and you will find "navy" entries. You are looking for this one:

Code:
    faction   roxolani
    dictionary  2
    strat_card  data/ui/egyptian/agents/temp_admiral.tga
    strat_model  sarmatians_admiral
    You notice that the "strat_model", which tells the game what to display on the campaign map, says "sarmatians" instead of "roxolani". This is why the game doesn't display the Roxolani ship correctly on the campaign map. You need to change it to this:

Code:
    faction   roxolani
    dictionary  2
    strat_card  data/ui/egyptian/agents/temp_admiral.tga
    strat_model  roxolani_admiral
    Step 2: Now, that final code line leads into the "descr_model_strat.txt" file (also located in the data folder of BI), where at the bottom of the file you will find this entry:

Code:
    skeleton    strat_navy
    indiv_range    40
    texture  sarmatians,  bi/data/models_strat/textures/navy_roxolani.tga
    model_flexi    data/models_strat/navy_roman.cas, max
    This will correctly tell the game to load the "Roxolani" textures and models rather than try to load the Sarmatians ones. Although, notice in red above that "sarmatians" is listed instead of Roxolani, and the roman "strat_model" ship is used instead of a barbarian one like the other Nomadic factions. I don't know how "necessary" it is to change those two things, but I did.

I would recommend changing the entry to this, with the changes from the previous code in red:

Code:
    skeleton    strat_navy
    indiv_range    40
    texture  roxolani,  bi/data/models_strat/textures/navy_roxolani.tga
    model_flexi    data/models_strat/navy_barb.cas, max

And this changes the Roxolani campaign map ship from the "Julii red" ship you see in the first post to this:

And now you have the correct Roxolani campaign map ship for BI or your BI mod!
    Last edited by Crusader Vanguard; October 02, 2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Updated/Corrected steps for solution

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: [BI] How to fix Roxolani campaign map ship model/texture mismatch

Nice work my friend.Can you tell me what mod you use for BI ?

Libertus

Thank you. I hope this helps you fix this glitch.

Everything you see is my own personal mod. The map you see my own personally modified version of the Magnus Mundus BI map, with around... 15 regions added myself. I also rewrote the descr_strat.txt from scratch to include the 5 emergent factions from the start. So I'm afraid you won't find the mod anywhere. I'm still working on it anyway.
    Last edited by Crusader Vanguard; October 02, 2015 at 03:25 PM.

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Ah ok i hope you will release it someday because it looks cool.

Libertus

Thanks. Glad to know someone likes my work!

I'm not sure if I will be "allowed" because my final version will include Amazon factions from Amazon Total War 3.0C. Perhaps with credit I could? I do have a backup though of before the "amazon" addon, so maybe when I finally get the mod the way I like it (minus Amazons), I can release it that way.
    Last edited by Crusader Vanguard; October 03, 2015 at 10:51 AM.