Thread: How to open the .anim extension?

Default How to open the .anim extension?

I want edit some animation (dueling, waliking etc.) but anim files can't see in unity, maya and 3dmax. So how can open and edit this .anim extension? please tell me.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Re: How to open the .anim extension?

maybe you can open them in Ultimate Unwrap 3D with the empire plugin. For testing porpoise you can download the beta version

Many thanks Primergy. I tried it uu3d with etw plugin but it could not read anim extention in my case. (but it could read rigid_model_v2) Thank you for your answer. despite poor english sentence.

ah well, it was worth a try

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

UU3D cannot directly open .anim file.

The process is to import animation (.anim) in a .variant_part_mesh model.
    To do so you can read the tuto from [Tutorial] Modeling & DB. Milkshape & UU3D. 3DS MAX workflow. How wangrin and I use them - post #20

IMPORTING / EXPORTING ANIMATIONS
    Exporting animations using UU3D need three main steps :

1. Opening model and animation
      To be able to export an animation, you must open a model and an animation
      • step 1 : open a model
        example : opening african_tribal_lod1.variant_weighted_mesh
      • step 2 : in the Import Empire: Total War windows, select an animation to import
      • step 3 : you can look at the animation

2. Modifying animation through MilkShape
    3. Exporting animations
      • Step 1 : save you model as a .variant_weighted_mesh
      • Step 2 : select the "Export Animations" option
      • Step 3 : the exporter create two files, a .variant_weighted_mesh and a .anim ones.

NOTES :

1. Process to modify animation is :
    2. ETW plugin has been updated to allow to "force" the T-pose.
      Just check the export option called "Transform vertices to rest pose".
      Use this option if your model has been transformed to a different rest pose (from FBX or elsewhere).
    3. Process should work differently for TW:R2 as ETW plugin dosn"t allow to save .rigid_model_v2.
      TW:R2 process should be :

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Ok, I tried it myself and after installing the most recent plugins for uu3d (etw) and autodesk (fbx) I can import the anims and export to 3ds max.

But I think this workflow suffers from the old error that the bone order gets destroyed by the fbx export. Brad fixed this for ETW I think, but for shogun the skeleton gets destroyed as it seems:

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/Pri...zxdmm.jpg.html

Patrician Artifex

I did some tests with ETW models and still get the same error.
    I suppose I don't know how and when using the "Transform vertices to rest pose"...

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

I assume when you import the fbx file from 3ds max, you also have those new bones inside uu3d?

Patrician Artifex

I don't remember.
    I cannot make a test right know, I'm still reinstalling software, thanks to windows 10 update crash...

If you know where I can find 3ds max 2010... I only have access to 3ds max 2013/2014/2015/2016 on Autodesk, it is not possible to download earlier version, despite the licence key.

probably they have stopped the distribution? I can only download download versions from 2014-2016

Patrician Artifex

Maybe.
    But this is a serious problem because Assembly Kit converters for Shogun 2 need 3ds max 2010...

I'm using the Rome exporter which also works for 3ds Max 2012. Till now I had no problems!

I still have 2010 on my desktop PC, no install link though or any idea how i got it, would share it w u if there was a way.
    with a quick check on piratebay, it still has a 2010 version up there. I would DL that.

I want to get into these animation files and might have to sometime soon , but if you two cant figure it out, I think I'd have a pretty hard time.. lol

Better would be 2012 version since 2010 can not open all example models.

I remember my work flow for adding new models to the game was rigging in 2014, saving as a 2013 file, opening in 2013, saving a a 2010 file, then opening in 2010 and exporting through 2010. I never touched 2012, what exactly do you mean can not open all example models, wouldn't my above method cover the ground here?

Also here's m big quesion as far as animations go, you have the anim file which is essentially the "attacker" where are the animations for the "defender" the person that is hit and killed. As you know I wish to add splash damage so as im sitting here brainstorming im confused on how the "death" animations are stored as I do not have Ultimate unwrap, I can not explore this myself right now.

update:
    Looking at the files Im guessing the "death by XXX" would be the animation on the defending end
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

// MATCHED COMBAT - VS NODACHI -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// kill nodachi
    COMBAT_104 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/KILL/KAT_KILL_12.anim", blend_in_time = 0.25

// death by nodachi
    COMBAT_105 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/CHARGE/NOD_KILL_01_KAT_CH_01.anim" blend_in_time = 0.25
    COMBAT_106 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/CHARGE/NOD_CH_O1_KILL_KAT_01.anim" blend_in_time = 0.25

COMBAT_107 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/KILL/NOD_KILL_01_KAT_01.anim" blend_in_time = 0.25
    COMBAT_108 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/KILL/NOD_KILL_03_KAT_01.anim" blend_in_time = 0.25

// draw with nodachi
    COMBAT_109 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/DRAW/KAT_15_NOD_01_A.anim", blend_in_time = 0.25
    COMBAT_110 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/DRAW/KAT_16_NOD_01_A.anim", blend_in_time = 0.25
    COMBAT_111 filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/MATCHED_COMBAT/DRAW/KAT_17_NOD_01_A.anim", blend_in_time = 0.25

update2 :

Think i found a good lead for a starting point for adding splash damage , after looking around in the sling units ( that kill mutiple enemies w bombs) nothing popped up but i found sync'd yari animations that have both attacking and more importantly defending animations, this means 1 skeleton interacts with 2 others (hopefully)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    yar_sync_attack_01.anim
    yar_sync_defend_01.anim

I could really use someone with UU3d license to export some of these animations for me to play around w. (priv messaged primergy but his license doesnt work anymore)

Also what Bones error are you talking about?
    I have successfully rigged models to the shogun2 skeleton in 2014 Max, saved to 2013, then saved to 2010 and imported thru bob that way. If ive done this, does it mean ive successfully bypassed this bone issue you two are describing? or is this an issue unique to animation files?
    Last edited by Havie; July 10, 2017 at 07:17 PM.

Solution to this can be found here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...9#post15367139