Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia

The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia

After the devastating raids of Seljuks, thousands of Armenians moved toward Cilicia - region of Armenia Minor situated between the Taurus and Amanus mountains close to Mediterranean coast. The Armenian population in Cilicia gradually became predominant.
    The first Armenian rulers of Cilicia, such as Constantine I and Thoros I led successful warfare against both Saracens and Greeks.

During the ruling of Leon II, when Cilicia enjoyed the period of a prosperous development, the Third Crusade was proclaimed in Europe. The Roman Emperor Frederic I Barbarossa, the French King Philip II Augustus and the English King Richard the Lion-Hearted assembled their forces to recapture Jerusalem from Saladin. Arriving in Asia Minor, Frederic Barbarossa proposed an alliance to Leon II. The Armenian King promised to supply the Europeans with food and horses.
    Leo established useful alliances with many of the contemporary rulers; he also gained the friendship and support of the Hospitallers and the Teutonic Knights by granting considerable territories to them and as such he has got support from the Hospitaller Knights.
    The Cilician Armenian Kingdom then was reinforced after Leon II gained the upper hand in the long-term conflict over the Latin princes of the neighboring Principality of Antioch . The Armenian King captured Antioch in 1216.
    While the inhabitants of Greater Armenia eye-witnessed the loss of their national statehood and numerous foreign invasions, the Cilician Armenians lived in wealth and prosperity. Good geographic location involved the country into an intensive international trade. Science and culture flourished. This period of Armenian history is regarded as the brilliant Age of Ecclesiastical manuscript painting.

Now, as ruler of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, you have to take measures to keep the borders safe from turkish raids and keep the trade, being so vital for your kingdom, active in your ports.
    Be aware though, that danger is very close... The Mongols, a threat that is not to be taken lightly, will no doubt cause havoc in the neighboring kingdoms. Will you seek out alliance with them or be stubborn and have it your way? Do know however, that even if you give in to the might of the mongol hordes, the egyptian mamelukes, enemies of all mongols, may take this as an insult and direct their attention to you... Be wise in your choices whom you wish to be allied with !

Units
    Levy Archers:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Armenian Azat Archers

Armenian / Latinized Serjeant Crossbowmen

Levy Spearmen

Armenian Mountaineers

Armenian Spearmen

Armenian / Latinized Serjeant Spearmen

Armenian Heavy Infantry

Armenian Horse Archers

Armenian Mounted Serjeants

Armenian Knights

Armenian Nakharar Bodyguard

Note, that names of the units may change and some units will be added later to the roster.

Default Re: The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia

Nice work dude! You really outdone yourself with this one!

great work as always!

MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro

Sick stuff, cant rep because i did it too recently xD
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

A big like from me too!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice job! Are the resources mostly from Crusaders way of Expiation OSP?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Nice job! Are the resources mostly from Crusaders way of Expiation OSP?
    The shields of the armenian bodyguard and the armenian knights are from there, as well as most of the helmets for the serjeant spearmen and serjeant crossbowmen, and some helmets for the bodyguard unit.

So many previews constantly coming out. Looking forward to playing the mod.

Are the latinised versions of the soldiers higher tiers for later on?

nnnm's Avatar Senator

So incredibly excited for this mod All of your units are incredibly beautiful, if you're ever looking to get involved in the game industry you've definitely got the skills.
    If yer going to leave some rep be sure to leave your name so I can return the favor
    "I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question; Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? No! Says the man in Washington, it belongs to the poor. No! Says the man in the Vatican, It belongs to God. No! Says the Man in Moscow, It belongs to everyone. I rejected those answers, instead I choose something different... I chose the impossible... I choose.... Rapture. A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty moralities, where the great would not be constrained by the small. And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well..."
    "A MAN CHOOSES! A SLAVE OBEYS!"
    -Andrew Ryan

beautiful!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Very well chosen timeframe! Love the knights!

Hi, is it still possible to add some units and/or to change some inaccuracies?

triple wow

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

Great job !

Here are some things I was talking about...

1.) The Levy units, Mountaineer unit and Armenian Spearmen are not wearing proper clothing.

They are wearing ancient clothing...
    (Ancient Armenian Clothing)

Instead they should be wearing something medieval like this...
    (Medieval Armenian Clothing)
    (The Mithraic hats weren't worn during the Medieval period)

You could use the Georgian ''Shuboshani Molashqre'' clothing for these units.

2.) The Azat and Horse Archers could have some neck protection I think, like the Armenian Heavy Infantry, shields on the back would be nice.

3.) The Armenian Heavy Infantry unit could be a full sword unit, no axes since armenians always used swords. Or a complete other unit with swords is a possibility. Could you give these unit(s) boots?
    Here are some pictures that you could use for new units.

4.) Oh and one last thing, could you please, please make the Armenians look like actual Caucasians? that would make much more sense.

(Armenians LEFT, Muslim soldiers RIGHT)
    (Ignore the Stars of David, they are Armenian Hexagrams)

I'm not asking to make them look like blonde Nordic Europeans, just don't make them look like they do now, please.

Thanks.

Why do levy archers have two types of bows and not just one? I mean don't you want as archers all want to shoot the same distance. If they where peasants i can understand but a trained group of archers will shoot with the same bows no?
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

I agree, Armenians should be whiter

Quote Originally Posted by Sweik View Post
    4.) Oh and one last thing, could you please, please make the Armenians look like actual Caucasians? that would make much more sense.

(Armenians LEFT, Muslim soldiers RIGHT)
    (Ignore the Stars of David, they are Armenian Hexagrams)

I'm not asking to make them look like blonde Nordic Europeans, just don't make them look like they do now, please.

Thanks.
    That illustration depicts the battle between the Mongols and the Mamluks (second battle of Homs), the guys on the left represent Mongols.

Here is another one. The battle of Wadi al-Khazandar, 1299. depicting Mamluk cavalry and Mongol archers (14th-century illustration from a manuscript of the History of the Tatars)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast