Thread: 17th century BC Mycenaean palace discovered just outside Sparta

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default 17th century BC Mycenaean palace discovered just outside Sparta

This is a good find! The inscriptions are in Linear B and the items at the site have been dated by archaeologists to the 17th century BC. This was a somewhat small palace, perhaps, compared to the later, more grandiose Mycenaean sites, like the namesake site Mycenae. This is very encouraging news and I hope more Mycenaean sites are unearthed so we can fully gauge the spread and level of development from the earliest phase of their civilization onward. The 17th century BC is basically when one could say the civilization truly began, correct?

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: 17th century BC Mycenaean palace discovered just outside Sparta

There is already a thread on the same subject. This one has been merged into it. Locked.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.