Thread: Controlling Archers/Units

Default Controlling Archers/Units

Just got back into Third Age and these questions might relate to unit control in general in Kingdoms not just the mod..

1. When I move my archers they sometimes line up in a long vertical line or at a stupid angle. Is there a way to get them to line up at the enemy in a proper parallel line? This also happens with other units as well.

2. When I switch off the fire at will command for the archers they still seem to fire arrows. Do they fire off a few volleys then stop?

Default Re: Controlling Archers/Units

1 It happens to me too. I prefer to form groups and the mark the position and direction of the group, not just click where I want it to be.

2 This I know. When you switch to flame arrows or from flame arrows, they still keep shooting the previous ones 1 or 2 volleys. Then switch as ordered.

BTW "Fire at will" does not have anything to do with flame arrows, it means that they shoot the enemy when they see fit.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

1. use the click and drag technique to deploy units, always; do not just click on a place to move them (unless you are simply running to surround the enemy or away from melee). All the units do better when properly deployed (archers send better volleys, spearmen can resist better to charges, cavalry will do maximum charge damage and so on).

2. Jose, I guess he is not speaking at all about fire arrows, but "to fire" arrows @ Simon: ranged units automatically shot or don't if they have the option enabled or not, BUT, if you order them yourself to attack an enemy unit, they will keep firing even if you deselect the "fire at will" button. In order to solve this, after you have deselected the "fire at will" button always click on the "stop" button too (possibly more than once, as sometimes they seem to ignore a single click).

Last edited by Flinn; August 26, 2015 at 04:00 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    1. use the click and drag technique to deploy units, always; do not just click on a place to move them (unless you are simply running to surround the enemy or away from melee). All the units do better when properly deployed (archers send better volleys, spearmen can resist better to charges, cavalry will do maximum charge damage and so on).
    This ^

2. Additionally to what Flinn said, if you turn off Fire at will and the unit(s) were already in the process of fire next volley, they will proceed with that volley and quit completly first after that. To stop them directly, turn off Fire at will and then either move them or push the Halt-button.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks for the tips.. Yes, I usually move the archers back but I was wondering if there was a better way to manage their shooting.

I will have a go with the "click and drag" technique!

Manually controlling archers is the best way as, fire at will mode will just target the first unit that gets within range, it will only stop targeting the unit when either it is destroyed or out of range.
    I always turn FaW off when deploying, using ctrl+m.
    If you want to march in formation(no grouping needed) use alt+right mouse, all selected units will stay in formation
    for quick changing facing while holding formation use alt+ hold right mouse+ move mouse, this lets you change facing with selected units
    Guard mode and manual targetting allows you to keep formation, guard mode is a hold position command so they won't break formation to follow target.

Matamelcan's Avatar Foederatus

If you want to position to correlate with the rest of the army correctly, press space! It shows where all other units are being ordered to! Praise to yellow (and purple) dots!

When you do the shift/drag to deploy units can they go fast (double speed)?

Matamelcan's Avatar Foederatus

Just press R, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Matamelcan View Post
    If you want to position to correlate with the rest of the army correctly, press space! It shows where all other units are being ordered to! Praise to yellow (and purple) dots!
    Wow, didn't know that one. Thanks!