Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Patch 17] New resource buildings are overpowered (and how)

Default [Patch 17] New resource buildings are overpowered (and how)

TL;DR: Your 185 food are not a glitch, it's your cereal colonies. You may also notice all of your provinces got a much higher bonus from Buildings public order than expected; this effect is caused by dye/wine/marble and can reach +20 or more in the late game. This will also appear in new patch 17 games, global bonuses just grow that large.

Long version:
    It may not be fashionable to say it in this forum, but I like Rome II. Not because of a feature in particular, it is the sum of a simple but surprisingly delicate management system with a heavy focus on combat. Maybe some other games do it better, but I like this one. Sue me. The beta would have been a better time for this analysis, but I was on holiday with no Internet until a few days ago. I am by no means a game designer, though I do have some experience in balancing on a mod for an other game.

Patch 17 brought interesting changes to the faction traits. I feel some traits may be unbalanced in that they remove an entire aspect of the game (Baktria's Multiculturalism), or too powerful (+2 recruitement slots for Rome) - but I only play single player, where balance is less of a concern. Whatever the case, this certainly makes factions more unique, which I like. Difference between factions is more replayability.

On the other hand, the "every region" bonuses brought by the new resources buildings are so powerful in their current form that most of the "management" disappear entirely. I will take a guess and say these bonuses were added to make resources more strategic locations. Until patch 16, resources were helpful by providing income through Trade, and they gave noticeable bonuses in the province, but you wouldn't go out of your way to grab one unless an economic victory is at hand. With a buff, "rich" regions become prizes instead of just an other area of the map. So far, so good.

Things go pear-shaped once we get to the numbers. Cereal colonies are the worst offenders; I will use them as an example. If a level 4 cereal colony gave +1 food per region (as the Egypt trait), or even per province, it would be worth the effort to get one in the late game. Food gets scarce when you reach tier IV, and a few dozen food means more upgraded buildings. This scales very quickly: Marc Antony gets +2 food per region from Cleopatra in the Emperor Augustus campaign, and basically, his faction doesn't have to worry about getting hungry. Now, in patch 17, cereal colonies give +1 food per region for every level of every cereal colony you have. With all due respect, this should never have gone past beta testing. A single colony feeds half your empire; some factions can easily get three. The campaign map was obviously not designed for a game where every resource building turns into a wonder at tier I, and then gets better. Nor were the faction traits: with not just one, but two cereal colonies in its home province, Egypt is the last faction that needs a +food trait.

On closer look, it seems that one bonus per resource (usually the most iconic one) was simply extended to the entire world, full stop. Apart from Marble thankfully giving happiness instead of cheaper construction, I didn't find any other change or tweak. All bonuses stack, meaning you won't have to care about food or public order by turn 100. Is the player supposed to get rid of these management aspects? It was one of the core mechanics of the game. That's what province management was all about!

I've played "only" a few hundred hours on the TW series, so I don't feel qualified to advocate for a specific fix. Possiblities include giving a (smaller) bonus at higher tiers only; preventing bonuses of the same type from stacking; making the bonuses affect adjacent provinces instead of the whole empire... As currently implemented, these new bonuses make entire building chains obsolete - and this is not hyperbole. If it is intended, I would very much like to hear the reasonning behind such a dramatic change.

Regards,

Telenil
    Last edited by Telenil; August 24, 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Default Re: [Patch 17] New resource buildings are overpowered (and how)

You are quite correct. I noticed this immediately since I was about 160 turns into a Roman campaign on normal difficulty when the patch was implemented. My food surplus jumped from around a + 50 or 60 to well over 800. Now at turn 200 plus, it's over +1100. In addition, all of my provinces seem to have no issues with unhappiness/squalor---regardless of what I build because of the change to happiness factors being compounded faction wide for many of the buildings. Generally one goes into the plus factor per turn within one turn of conquest. I've can even jack up my tax rate past normal with no ill effects on happiness.

At first I thought it was just an abnormality caused by the patch applying to a campaign that was in late game, but now I realize it's not.

I never found to pre-patch building system that hard to deal with, and usually by mid game I always had it well under control, but as you said, I still had to manage my provinces and be careful to not over-build.

To me this change has tried to fix something that wasn't really broken and they went just a bit to far in the opposite direction.

it's my perception that regardless of complaints about it most players thought it OK and some quite liked it. I guess I need to start a new campaign to get a better idea how this plays out.

Cheers
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

160 turns into a Roman campaign on normal difficulty
    Really? My campaigns always last about 110-120 turns max.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Really? My campaigns always last about 110-120 turns max.
    Really! The length of my personal campaign is the only thing that you took away from this conversation?

I hate to contribute to a derailment of the topic, and my apologies to the OP for this, but to answer---for my current play through, I am attempting to conquer the entire map prior to completing any of the victory conditions. I could have met the military victory at least 75 turns back by conquering Britannia, but chose to leave it for last when I have explored the rest of the map.

Cheers

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Original system was quite easy to understand. Now it is a joke. :-) I just hope i will once finish my building overhaul which will piss all casual players...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Only happens when you play an older save before patch. Everything is fine when you start a new game with the patch.

Too much food totally changes campaign economic choices by removing the need for higher tier agricultural buildings & fisheries which all have negative public order penalties. Without those, the need for public order buildings goes down & you have additional space for more money making buildings....therefore, you have plenty of food, plenty of money & no real public order problem. Then there is the questionable benefits of a vast food surplus, limited to only affecting replenishment & growth & not at all a dominant factor in either. In Rome 1 & Medieval 2, food was one of the most important drivers of 'technology'. You needed to reach a population point to enable each higher tier level of buildings & the only growth drivers were agriculture, temples, sanitation & lowering taxes. There was no overall national food supply carryover, it only applied to each local town-province. This wasn't entirely sensible & was corrected in Shogun 2, where the overall food surplus became the only limiting factor in allowing higher tier buildings. In Rome 2, It would be have been nice to realize some additional value in a huge food surplus, even if at pennies on the dollar or a slight reduction in build completion time. Anyway, the votes have been cast & the decision's been made. I will say that i started a post patch 17 Pontus campaign recently, & that in the natural course of expansion, have 24 regions & not a single grain resource.....so it's not an issue in this campaign so far & i would think this would apply to starting campaings for all the Black Sea factions, the Nomadic factions & Armenia as well

Quote Originally Posted by argonaught View Post
    Only happens when you play an older save before patch. Everything is fine when you start a new game with the patch.
    Nope, new games seem normal because the problem is caused by Cereal colonies, and few factions have one at the beginning. But if you start with Egypt, you will notice that you start with 19 food and gain more every time you conquer a province.

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Have two grain settlement upgraded, and you'll easily pass 100 food. Got to 1000 in my last Carthage campaign....

I wonder if they intended it to be this way. Does the AI preform differently?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Probably nobody tested it in 100turn campaign at least.... yeah fisrt turn is okay for all faction.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Probably nobody tested it in 100turn campaign at least.... yeah fisrt turn is okay for all faction.
    They probably got bored after turn 30.

On the subject of the changes to resources in Patch 17, according to the patch notes:
    • Iron: shield/armour/weapons upgrades (all provinces)
    the benefits of an iron settlement are now meant to be applied to your faction globally. I started a new campaign last night, and it seems as though I can still only upgrade my units in the iron-producing province. Anyone else notice this, or is it just my game that's borked?

Nevermind all that. Here's me complaining without actually checking the version number to ensure I was running the correct patch. What a dunce.
    Last edited by Ulfgard the Unmaker; September 03, 2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Failure to fact-check

Before the patch Public order was a joke to maintain, with so many negative factors. Now Public order is a joke towards the other end of the spectrum, but not all are treated equal. The food resources are all located down south, and most of the happiness generating resources are in the south/east as well.

I'm generally in favour of what CA went for here but the numbers need to get tinkered with. Change the public order bonuses to a maximum of 2+ on tier 3-4 and 1+ food at all levels for grain pits, also give olive oil 1+ food at all levels to equalize. I also suggest increasing the food production of normal food production structures dramatically. Wheat farms level 2 should give 12 food instead of 7-8 and Fisheries should be worth investing in too, and not just a barbarian necessity. I love the modifier system, but feel free to add some worthwhile for industry up north, like Timber,pelts etc.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

The food thing is nuts but the patch notes are clear, CA really did intend this. At this point simply reverting to the old system would constitute a major improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I remember some of the complaints about Rome II's building system was that you were forced into a balancing act where upgrading buildings to high tiers was too much trouble in regards to food or public order for its worth. I wonder how someone who has never played this game before will find the current resource effects.

Libertus

Guys, there are good mods out there (Divide et Impera). Just play modded and it will be better balanced.

I just started a new campaign as Rome to see how this plays out rather than seeing the effects of it being added mid game.

The reason is that I read a similar thread over at the official forums, and several there claimed that the net effect of this is to help various A.I. factions survive longer and that the more successful of these will be able to expand and present the player with a better military challenge in mid to late game--meaning one won't see a map full of starving settlements with red skull icons at some point. It might not be as easy to steamroll if this is true. Of course sometimes steamrolling is fun, but other times the victories are a bit void of excitement--kind of like kissing your sister.

However, I am also deep in to a ERE campaign in Attila at the moment, so it may be a few days.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Of course sometimes steamrolling is fun, but other times the victories are a bit void of excitement--kind of like kissing your sister.
    What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by D@gget View Post
    What the hell?
    I'm sorry, the proper word was supposed to be "devoid" and not "void"!

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast