Thread: Possible fix to win10 issues with secdrv.sys

Gigantus's Avatar Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Possible fix to win10 issues with secdrv.sys

I found the underneath method in this thread which needs some follow up as I do not have win10 (yet):

Quote Originally Posted by EricSoandSo
    A workaround is to copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 / 8.1 machine, self sign the driver, and enter into testsigning boot mode.

You can do this manually or use 3rd party programs to do it.

First copy secdrv.sys from a windows 8 machine to c:\windows\system32\drivers. You can also download it here. Same file as the one I got from a vanilla windows 8.1 install v 4.3.86.0 md5 3ea8a16169c26afbeb544e0e48421186

Then self sign the driver. You can use a program Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider to do this: http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Or read about doing it yourself here. You will also need to make the certificate.

Then enable TESTSIGNING boot mode by opening an admin command prompt and typing: bcdedit -set testsigning on

Now safedisc games should work.

You will get an annoying watermark in testsigning mode. You can remove it using this program. Or read about removing it manually here.

I tested secdrv.sys and the above programs in Windows 10 Pro x64 and confirms that it does work.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricSoandSo
    Let me just add a little bit of warning for anyone doing this, just make sure to sign the driver with a certificate that only you have (you generated for yourself). To prevent any other drivers besides the SECDRV.sys version you signed from installing on your system. This might be harder than downloading a tool and running it (unless the tool clearly states it is generating new certificates just for you and gives you the option to keep them for yourself after installing them on the computer so noone else can sign anything with them).

For those interested, the full scoop (background info and how to do it manually) is under the topic Driver Signing on the Windows Hardware Dev Center website, with the process mentioned by Adam under the topic Signing Drivers during Development and Test.

I read here that this might require BitLocker and Secure Boot to be disabled or suspended on the computer. That may be fine for some people and not for others - I wouldn't mind doing that on my desktop, but I don't like that on my tablet at all. Can anyone confirm this is actually necessary or not?

Here is the link to an article why it won't work otherwise, unless you get a fix from the game developer.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 22, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea

Blog Entries

Default Re: Possible fix to win10 issues with secdrv.sys

Note:

Apparently kingdoms based mods have no problem to run. If that is so and you still would like to play the grand campaign then install my Bare Geomod - it's a port of of the campaign to kingdoms.

Frunk's Avatar The Duke Will Return...
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Apparently kingdoms based mods have no problem to run.
    I can confirm this.

Personally, using Bare Geomod to play the Grand Campaign (not that I ever really do) is preferable to attempting that method.

Knowing that SafeDisc support was removed for a genuine reason (security vulnerabilities), I personally see no reason to fiddle around with things like this driver, which I don't fully understand. The onus is on CA/Sega to release a patch for their games, rather that Microsoft to provide a fix for their driver.

If someone with a bit more confidence would like to attempt this, I'd be keen to see the results. The bottom line for me, though, is that Kingdoms works, so I'm not complaining!

Rome I, Medieval I and Shogun I users are not so lucky, though.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I'm proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Yea i have the same problem. I have kingdoms and third age, they work fine. i have windows 10 and my launcher isnt working for the grand campaign. says i need a proxy server to play.

Blog Entries

If your mods work then simply install this - it's the vanilla grand campaign ported to kingdoms.

The other easier way is buying the Amazon download versions. I have those and they seem to work. Also the complete Rome Total War collection (the one with one disc and all 3 games) seems to work on my computer. Running Windows 10 Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Note:

Apparently kingdoms based mods have no problem to run. If that is so and you still would like to play the grand campaign then install my Bare Geomod - it's a port of of the campaign to kingdoms.
    Yes my MTW2 Kingdoms Gold based CD runs perfectly with this new windows security update from my CD.
    Ordoprinceps
    Semper Ferox