Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: France train shooting: Three hurt and Moroccan man arrested

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Default France train shooting: Three hurt and Moroccan man arrested

Source: BBC

An armed man has injured three people on a train between Amsterdam and Paris before being overpowered by two American passengers, officials say.

The incident happened on the high-speed Thalys service near Arras, and the attacker was arrested at Arras station.

Two of the victims, said to be an American and a Briton, were seriously injured - one had a gunshot wound, the other a knife wound, reports said.

Initial reports said the man arrested was a 26-year-old Moroccan.

One of his weapons was said to be a Kalashnikov.

Le Monde said the man also had an automatic pistol and cartridges and had so far refused to talk to police in Arras.

The Agence France-Presse news agency said the arrested man was known to French intelligence services.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve is heading to Arras in the wake of the attack.

Interior ministry spokesman Pierre Henry Brandet added: "Talking about a terrorist motive would be premature at the moment."

However, anti-terrorist officers have now taken over the investigation, the Paris prosecutor's office said.

The attack took place at about 18:00 local time (16:00 GMT).

French actor Jean-Hugues Anglade was also lightly wounded when breaking glass to sound the alarm.

Local official Fabienne Buccio praised the passengers for showing "great composure".

French media said the men who overpowered the suspect were US Marines.
    It's a short article, but there's a bit more you can read on the website. So then, it appears that this Moroccan guy wielding an AK-47 tried putting bullet holes in a cabin car full of innocent civilian passengers who were complete strangers to him. Lucky for them there were some US marines on standby. Semper fi!

Seriously, though, this is rather scary, because I'm visiting France at the end of the month and my friends will be taking the same route to Brussels and then to Amsterdam. Yeah, we might have to rethink the whole train thing. Perhaps renting a car is a better option, albeit more expensive. There aren't any details about the motives of this individual yet, so I'll refrain from speaking on that just yet. However, it is telling that anti-terrorism task forces have taken over the investigation. I will say, however, that such transit services should really rethink security after this. This could have ended much, much worse than it did.

So, the US Dept. of Justice rattled FIFA earlier this year with its investigations and arrests and now this. Can you forgive us now, Europe?

UPDATE!

Pictures of the terrorist have been released! His name is Ayoub El Khazzani.

Default Re: France train shooting: Three hurt and man arrested

In a confined space, especially where there is no immediate avenue for escape, it seems better to jump would be terrorists, since the chances are they aren't there for conversation.

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Moroccan?You shouldn't say that,people may think that he is a muslim immigrant,one of the thousands who still coming.

Primicerius

Thank God those marines were near enough to stop him.

An armed man has injured three people on a train between Amsterdam and Paris before being overpowered by two American passengers, officials say.
    Presumably this was necessary because the Dutch passengers on board wrongly assumed their proclaimed neutrality would protect them while the French passengers simply surrendered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Davius's Avatar Senator

Again, nothing to do with.....

How's that go again?

Also, how did this happen with all those gun laws in place?

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Presumably this was necessary because the Dutch passengers on board wrongly assumed their proclaimed neutrality would protect them while the French passengers simply surrendered.
    And again, the USA Marines had to clear the coast? heh.

Yes, it was a good thing trained soldiers were in the train and USA marines are among the best I think. Cuddos to them for saving so many people and for having the balls to act.

US Military: fighting France's battles for them since 1917

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Wait, so it's a bad idea to let untrained hordes of 3rd world people into your country?

It's almost as if Conservatives have been saying this for decades! But we can ignore them, because they're clearly racists right? /s

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

The Carpathian Forests (formerly Scotlland)

So apparently they 'heard the sound of the man loading an AK-47 in the bathroom and immediately tackled him as he came out'. In fairness he was carrying a large case with several guns in it, but still, thank goodness for American paranoia and weirdly specific knowledge of guns.

A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    So apparently they 'heard the sound of the man loading an AK-47 in the bathroom and immediately tackled him as he came out'. In fairness he was carrying a large case with several guns in it, but still, thank goodness for American paranoia and weirdly specific knowledge of guns.

I know you are trying to make a joke (But I will bite it), but they were marines, one of best fighting forces in the US. So it makes sense, that they would know what types of gun sounds like and it hardly paranoia, let alone "America paranoia" in that situation

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

one of them is air force and the other is national guard

Roseburg man helped stop gunman on train trip to France

Alek Skarlatos: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

^ there's a video in the second link that could be from moments after the attack.
    Last edited by snuggans; August 21, 2015 at 10:35 PM.

What sort of American keeps French people from being shot?

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    What sort of American keeps French people from being shot?
    Marines. It's practically their job description.

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

It really seems that some guys coming to Europe would like Europe to take a way thougher stance on illegal immigrants.

Anyways good thing the Americans managed to stop the guy.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

I just saw this story. Crazy stuff.

They hogtied his ass :

“We heard a gunshot, and we heard glass breaking behind us, and saw a train employee sprint past us down the aisle,” Sadler said from France. They saw a gunman entering the train car with an automatic rifle, he said.

“As he was cocking it to shoot it, Alek just yells, `Spencer, go!’ And Spencer runs down the aisle,” Sadler said. “Spencer makes first contact, he tackles the guy, Alek wrestles gun away from him, and the gunman pulls out a box cutter and slices Spencer a few times. And the three of us beat him until he was unconscious.”

“The gunman never said a word,” he added.

Sadler said Stone helped another passenger who had been wounded in the throat and losing blood.
    Last edited by mrmouth; August 22, 2015 at 01:57 AM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Seriously, though, this is rather scary, because I'm visiting France at the end of the month and my friends will be taking the same route to Brussels and then to Amsterdam. Yeah, we might have to rethink the whole train thing.
    Nah you are an American, its perfectly safe to travel with you.

Anyway yeah France is becoming even more scary then it used to be, by the day.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

So the national guardsman, airman, and a British civilian all got awarded medals for this. Good on them. I also wouldn't have minded if they'd stomped the Third World miscreant's guts out.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Nah you are an American, its perfectly safe to travel with you.

Anyway yeah France is becoming even more scary then it used to be, by the day.
    Yeah, but I served in the US Peace Corps, not the US Marine Corps. Big difference there.

-People making remarks about French fighting power in WW1&2 makes me sick. I advise you to visit some small French villages and go to the church to take a look at the monuments with all the names of the fallen inhabitants. Then you understand that whole villages its youth were wiped out.

-It is wonderfull that two soldiers were just there.
    So apparently they 'heard the sound of the man loading an AK-47 in the bathroom and immediately tackled him as he came out'
    That is quite amazing. Right place right time. How many people could have died..

-The attacker battled in Syria.. a shame he wasn't killed over there.

-More US Peace Corps less bombing of neutral countries

-France is the future of Europe

-Victrix is safe in Europe and if that is not the case you get your money back
    PS you can also go to Lebanon
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; August 22, 2015 at 04:34 AM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast