Thread: Vanishing roads

Foederatus

Default Vanishing roads

Hi,

In my mod, roads sometimes disappear. It seems to be a graphics glitch.

In this first image, you can see all roads work perfectly well.

Now I moved the camera a little. In this second image, look at Cannae's surroundings. All the roads are gone while the oxen carts indicating trade remain.

A similar glitch is known to occur to rivers, resulting in empty riverbeds. This is caused by mountains that are too tall, i. e., "too white" values in map_heights.tga. I thought that this might also cause this roads glitch but it still occurs after I coloured anything but sea in RGB (1 1 1).

Does anyone know the reason for this glitch?

Foederatus

Default Re: Vanishing roads

Turned out that not ticking 'Widescreen' removed all graphics errors. So I guess I have to choose between 4:3 on a widescreen and these vanishing roads and rivers.

Libertus

Hi! Did you ever find a solution to this problem, other than reverting to 4:3 resolution? I just started having the same problem. I am using Mundus Magnus 1.2 map as basis for my mod. Vanishing started when i put roads in every province in descr_strat to check for eventual problems. Now here's a few observations:

- roads do not vanish in all provinces.
    - some provinces that already had roads in descr_strat before i put roads in all other provinces, and were ok before, now started having vanishing roads.
    - in some provinces roads vanish partially (for example if three roads lead out of settlement, two of them are ok and visible, and one vanishes depending on camera zoom and position).
    - in some provinces roads even vanish halfway to the borderline. Weird.

These all problems go away when you change camera position and zoom. Perhaps it's not merely a graphic glitch after all, but it has something to do with mapping? Or the game engine glitches when it has to deal with large amount of roads?

In vanilla and in almost all mods I've tried there's also an issue with coastlines of some islands disappearing as you change camera position, and i remember reading awhile ago that some people had issues with dissapearing lakes and rivers. Simply reverting to 4:3 is really not the best solution, i kinda got used to a larger widescreen map anyway... I'll do more extensive search to find out if these vanishing issues can be resolved. Just wanted to know if you made any breakthrough regarding roads, because IF i do eventually dig up some solution for vanishing rivers it still may not apply to vanishing roads...
    Last edited by tamabald; January 22, 2017 at 09:10 PM.

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

Is that Roma Surrectum 2's map?