Thread: Crash after battles

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default Crash after battles

Just like to say i'm having a blast with this mod, did not know really what to expect when downloading but hell I didn't think a RTW mod could look so polished and complete.

I know the mod is presently a beta but I'm wondering is anybody else getting crashes after every say 3 or 4 battles? I seem to get crashes after fighting 3 battles in quick succession and most of those crashes are after winning heroic victories which is hella annoying.

Playing the RK, huge settings, m/m

Default Re: Crash after battles

Thanks for the kind words!

What are the circumstances leading up to the crashes? Is it during your turn (i.e., when you have initiated the battle), or on the AI's turn (when you are being attacked)? Are the battles sieges or open field battles? Would any battles have resulted in the taking of a settlement? Does it crash on the battlefield or after you have returned to the campaign map?

There are some CTDs associated with vanilla RTW that can't be fixed, unfortunately. One of them is the rather infamous case of when you are besieging a settlement and the enemy attacks you with another army. You fight the battle, defeat both armies (the attacking one and the besieged one that shows up as reinforcements), and you *should* get the city, but instead are treated to a CTD.

If it's that, I don't think there's anything that can be done. I find that when you re-fight the battle, it often works the second time (though that is of course frustrating). Other CTDs may be caused by memory issues, but it depends on the cause of the crash.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for the response,

Well the most notable ctd was when defending dol amroth, the harad land countless stacks in that location so there are many battles there for me. Had beaten maybe 3 stacks in about 10 turns, and the population growth limitation meant I couldn't retrain my army so I had only about 1000 men left when the harad landed 2 stacks=5000 men and besieged. Only one army was besieging while the other was close enough to be involved in the battle, I sallied and killed them all and got a ctd!

There doesn't seem to be any format to the CTD's, they're very random, which is why I'm enquiring as to is there any stand out bug involved with the battles. My laptop may just be getting old

I find the only way is to fight no more than 3 battles in a session which means that I definately can't play for longer than an hour at any time. I'm going to restart the RK and go hammer the Adunabar straight from the go this time round as I disbanded most of my army in my first attempt to buiild up the economy. That allowed the adunabar to amass a huge amount of men and take minas tirith meaning I'm sending stack after stack trying to take it back. Maybe if I hit them while they're weak I'll have less big battles to fight and that might decrease the amount of pressure on the system
    Last edited by Agrippa19; August 19, 2015 at 06:27 PM.

Sounds like it could be a memory issue. Apart from some very odd apparently troll-related CTDs on the battlemap and the known siege reinforcement bug, I don't think there are any consistent, repeatable CTDs associated with the mod. But someone else might have other ideas.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...