Thread: Regarding Translation

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Icon4 Regarding Translation

It is of utter importance that anyone who wants to help out with translation for the project reads the information below.

First off, go to this page, and read it.

Second - we need to know for as certain as possible, what langauges were spoken by who, for each faction. Did the Priests speak Latin, or some other language? Did the nobles speak another language than the commoners? What language did they use when speaking to foreigners?

Do not begin translation of anything until you've got this sorted out for the language you're translating, or you might end up having your hard word ignored because of historical inaccuracy. Which would suck.

Thanks.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Orfeo's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Regarding Translation

Greetings form a brand-new member of the forum; I actually joined due to my interest in historical accuracy in general and this project in particular (and my crush on MTW these days and in general ).

If you are really looking to making this accurate, you (anyone wishing to record or judge anything) should really have a look and listen at the CD-accompanied "Singing Early Music", which is actually a guide to the pronounciation of the native languages, as well as Latin, in European countries throughout the middle ages and renaissance. And, believe me, it is really incredible (it is of course just 'scientific speculation', but it is considered quite accurate, I think, and well, the flavour of it is just striking).

You will hear English completely irrecognisible, French Latin of the most arcane and strange weirdness, and, generally, a whole new universe of sounds (languages, even).

I think that if anything would be immersive to the game in terms of audio/speech, this would be.

Edit: If this post sould not be here, please excuse me and either move it or send me word to move it manually.
    Last edited by Orfeo; March 21, 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Possible wrong place for the post?

We probably won't be able to use cd samples directly, but I'm sure it will be very helpful. If I can find it
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Orfeo's Avatar Laetus

This book is aimed at letting singers of early music know how to sing their music, so I think it shouldn't be a problem to use the samples for reference, especially as it's for a non-commercial production.

B.t.w. I think I'd like to try and get some of the people here to work on this (esp. some spanish RPG people here in school who I think would be very interested). It's fun being in an international school.

I think we already have all the Spanish help we need - a guy who calls himself Norbak apparently has an uncle who knows medieval Spanish and who is an actor. The problem is, I haven't been able to get in touch with Norbak in a while.

I'm interested it. I think that I can read it.spanish translator

Interested in the book?

I wish this mod wasn't dead , its pretty cool.
    Last edited by CenturyGamer; September 06, 2009 at 05:47 AM.
    Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh

Vítor Gaspar's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I studied Archaic Gallaico-Portuguese, and I can speak it with the correct accent. It was the "ancient" Portuguese and Galician. "Modern" Portuguese only appeared in the beginning of the 16th century.