Page 147 of 151 FirstFirst ... 47 97 122 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3010

Thread: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Vanoi's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Discussion and Debate Community Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Why are migrants the priority here? Europe is not a blank slate. Why must we abandon our identities for the sake of diversity? If they choose not to integrate then that’s their problem. Do you think a caucasian could use that exuse to create a white enclave in say, Japan or Korea? I don’t think so.
    No one said migrants were a priority or that you gave to abandon your identity. You complain about immigrants and migrants especially those who don't share a similar culture to you and yet you advocate for a society and environment in which they could never fully integrate creating the very problems you complain about.

When you create an ethnic requirement it's not their fault for not integrating. You created the problem.

Japan and South Korea are great examples. And now they have aging populations and the lowest birth rates in the world and no one to solve it besides simply asking people to have children.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Those who protect the right of terrorists to have Free Speech enable the bombings of innocents.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion

yet you advocate for a society and environment in which they could never fully integrate creating the very problems you complain about.

When you create an ethnic requirement it's not their fault for not integrating. You created the problem.
    I didn’t advocate for any such thing, and I never said it should be a requirement.
    Under the patronage of Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Platonic Freedom:
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Why can't I mock a bald man? There is no law against it whatsoever.

You have advocated for a national identity partly based off ethnicity. You said it yourself not a page or two ago. Tying in national identity and ethnicity creates problems when it comes to any immigrant or migrant who wouldn't part of that ethnic group that's championed as being part the national identity.
    Those who protect the right of terrorists to have Free Speech enable the bombings of innocents.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...arture-1096102

The White House is reaching out to political allies and conservative activist groups to prepare for an ailing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s possible death or departure from the Supreme Court — an event that would trigger the second bitter confirmation battle of President Donald Trump’s tenure.

The outreach began after Ginsburg, 85, on Monday missed oral arguments at the court for the first time in her 25 years on the bench. The justice, who was nominated to the court by President Bill Clinton in 1993, announced in late December that she underwent a surgical procedure to remove two cancerous growths from her lungs.

The White House "is taking the temperature on possible short-list candidates, reaching out to key stakeholders, and just making sure that people are informed on the process," said a source familiar with those conversations, who spoke on background given the delicate nature of the subject. "They're doing it very quietly, of course, because the idea is not to be opportunistic, but just to be prepared so we aren't caught flat-footed."

Ginsburg had a pulmonary lobectomy, the Supreme Court said in a statement, and her doctors said that post-surgery there was “no evidence of any remaining disease.” She has also recovered from several past health scares. But her departure from the Court would allow Trump to nominate a third Supreme Court justice — the most in one presidential term since President Ronald Reagan placed three judges on the highest court during his second term.
    The nine-member court is currently divided 5-4 between its conservative and liberal wings. Ginsburg’s departure would allow Trump to create the Court’s strongest conservative majority in decades, a scenario sure to bring intense opposition from Democrats and liberal activists still furious over the October confirmation of Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

"It would be a brutal confirmation,” said John Malcolm, director of the Heritage Foundation's Meese Center for Legal and Judicial Studies. “The first two were not easy at all, but this would be much harder in this respect: When Neil Gorsuch was the nominee, you were replacing a conservative with a conservative. With Kavanaugh, you were replacing the perennial swing voter, who more times than not sided with the so-called conservative wing, so that slightly solidified the conservative wing.”

“But if you are replacing Justice Ginsburg with a Trump appointee, that would be akin to replacing Thurgood Marshall with Clarence Thomas,” Malcolm added. “It would mark a large shift in the direction of the court."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    You have advocated for a national identity partly based off ethnicity. You said it yourself not a page or two ago. Tying in national identity and ethnicity creates problems when it comes to any immigrant or migrant who wouldn't part of that ethnic group that's championed as being part the national identity.
    You seem to think i’m advocating for an ethnostate. Do you even know what that is?

It’s not about me trying to tie anything into anything - it’s already and always has been there. The question is - should we completely divorce the two.

Northern Ireland, nor the Republic of Ireland simply wouldn’t exist without some degree of ethnic identity. That is a fact.

Immigrants can integrate ofc, but why is it a problem to recognise foreigners as foreign? I don’t understand. No-one is being ‘championed’ here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24302914
    Platonic Freedom:

You seem to think i’m advocating for an ethnostate. Do you even know what that is?
    Your advocating for ethnicity to be part of national identity correct?

It’s not about me trying to tie anything into anything - it’s already and always has been there. The question is - should we completely divorce the two.
    I disagree. It has not always been there nor is it that way now. Not even for your country.

Northern Ireland, nor the Republic of Ireland simply wouldn’t exist without some degree of ethnic identity. That is a fact.
    That's an opinion. They always had a separate culture than England without even mentioning the fact they are of a different ethnic group. Self-determination exists without an ethnic identity and the Irish most definitely regardless of ethnic identity or not would gotten their own country.

Immigrants can integrate ofc, but why is it a problem to recognise foreigners as foreign? I don’t understand. No-one is being ‘championed’ here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24302914
    Of course no one is being championed in the UK. Being British is way way more ethnic identity. You can be completely foreign in terms of ethnicity and still be British as someone born in England. The British Empire stretched all over the world. They could never just based their national identity off ethnicity.

How can immigrants integrate into your vision of society where national identity is partly based off ethnicity? You are creating the conditions for things you disagree with like multiculturalism.

Immigrants may be foreigners but they are people trying to now integrate into your country. Stop recognizing them as just foreigners and recognize them as immigrants who are trying part of your culture and society. It's no wonder with that attitude why Europe does such a piss poor job with immigrants in the first place.

I think you're taking this way out of proportion.
    Platonic Freedom:

I think you just refuse to address anything I have to say like you have this entire argument.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    There are lots of good solutions to the migrant crisis but the easiest one, not letting them in, nah we shouldn't try that.
    I guess if you think it is in fact esay, it would make sense to draw the conclusion that to fail to do so amounts to an almost deliberate importing of migrants, as the alt-right tends to portray the EU's response to the migrant crisis.

Of course, if it is actually hard, then that whole idea is just nonsense.

I think it's pretty much nonsense.

If people are willing to risk their lives crossing the mediterranean in over-loaded rubber dinghies it is difficult to imagine what would convince them to stop trying even if they were deported/turned back.

I very much doubt the 'ease' of building and maintaining physical barriers to close off land borders, let alone sea borders.

Thingis, iMHO a 500 million population should be able to absorb the current 150k migrants a year without blinking. The fact that we're not "schaffing es" is due to quite a few countries in the EU's refusal to share the burden.
    Last edited by Muizer; January 10, 2019 at 07:49 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Mithradates's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    If people are willing to risk their lives crossing the mediterranean in over-loaded rubber dinghies it is difficult to imagine what would convince them to stop trying even if they were deported/turned back.
    Its not difficult to imagine it, its just hard to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    Thingis, iMHO a 500 million population should be able to absorb the current 150k migrants a year without blinking. The fact that we're not "schaffing es" is due to quite a few countries in the EU's refusal to share the burden.
    I bet even without those countries the remaining 400 million could still absorb that "burden".
    ...if they still would want to do that of course.

By 2050 Nigeria will have more people than all the EU countries combined, and thats just one country in Africa. By than that would mean way more than just 150k per year.

Africa will account for more than half the world’s population growth by 2050. Current population is 1.3 billion.

Africa’s population expected to double by 2050

A quarter of the world will be African by 2050 with a population of 2.5 billion, and a third by 2100 with a population of 4 billion. Pretty sure Europe doesn’t want that kind of immigration.

https://www.businessinsider.com/afri...true&r=US&IR=T
    https://mg.co.za/article/2017-10-26-...frican-by-2050
    https://theconversation.com/amp/ther...-by-2100-84576
    Platonic Freedom:

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    I think you just refuse to address anything I have to say like you have this entire argument.
    Of course people can still integrate with what I say remaining true. The biggest problem we have is self-segregation.
    Platonic Freedom:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...G9X_W-rEEq1XSk

As an advocate of secular equality of all under the law, I can only support this. Well done Belgium, you still have balls after all it seems.
    Platonic Freedom:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...G9X_W-rEEq1XSk

As an advocate of secular equality of all under the law, I can only support this. Well done Belgium, you still have balls after all it seems.
    Explain why this support secular equality under law.

EU law states that all slaughtered animals must be stunned, some member states exempt certain religious groups from that law, I think everyone should play by the same rules.
    Platonic Freedom:

EU law states that all slaughtered animals must be stunned, some member states exempt certain religious groups from that law, I think everyone should play by the same rules.
    Aah I see thank you.

I'd think that religious freedom is, in order of importance, higher than whatever incoherent, misguided understanding of animal rights they have there. The idea that it's perfectly moral to enslave, farm, kill and eat animals, but only if you stun them right before death, is patently absurd. Imagine if that reasoning was applied to human beings. This seems to have little to do with animal welfare. It's quite possibly simply a message that Jews are incompatible, unwanted and generally foreign to Belgium.

Decanus

And there is the German agrarlobby, that insists that little pigs get castrated at full consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    the German agrarlobby
    another organization of Muslim barbarians, no doubt.

in Spain it is still done (maybe it is forbidden, but it's one of our traditions, so). The bellows are heard kilometers away.
    Last edited by mishkin; January 12, 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    And there is the German agrarlobby, that insists that little pigs get castrated at full consciousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    another organization of Muslim barbarians, no doubt.

in Spain it is still done (maybe it is forbidden, but it's one of our traditions, so). The bellows are heard kilometers away.
    That’s insane, I’m glad it’s banned in the UK. Along with Ireland Norway and Switzerland.
    Platonic Freedom: