Thread: Pikemen

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Default Pikemen

I was a phalanx maniac in RTW thats why I chosed the Spanish for my first game because they have Tercio Pikemen, they were well known and feared in Europe so I expected something uber.

My problem that I dont know how to use them effectively, the RTW method doesnt works, when they engage they loose their formation and change their weapon from pike to sword almost instantly so they cant hold the enemy

What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Pikemen

Do you have them in Spearwall formation (special ability, if they have it. I've never seen them, so I'm clueless), and/or in defensive stance?

Pike troops form up holding their polearms in a nice wall normally, but what shows they are in spearwall is that the first row sits down with the butt of their polearm in the ground to brace themselves.

I use pikemen to screen my heavy infantry.

For HRE my typical army is 4 units militia pikemen then behind them I get 4 units of militia halberders and then at the back I have 4 units of zwei handers and 1 unit of forlon hope at each flank with 1 unit of dismounted gothic knights at the rear in reserve and for cav, 2 units of reiters. For missile, either 2 archer militia or xbow militia.

Try turning off guard mode for them. I tried it out on a suggestion from someone here and I think it worked better, but not amazingly. Still. At least they use their spears for at least, say, 5-10 seconds instead of 2.

I thought that pikemen were only ment defensively??:hmmm:

A very bad speller...but have german pride