Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of England

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of England

If I'm not mistaken, all of these units are of an "early era". I don't think they've completed the later units for England yet, as they have done for Burgundy, or Hungary for example.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

This is going to be a great mod!!!

In the most constructive way possible and I know it's not finished but... The guy on the Selection Screen looks terrible

Can you look into maybe touching him up a bit? Looks a bit like he's come in fancy dress. Does he have to have a bucket on his head? He isn't in battle on that screen so it would be cool to drop that and just show him off as a king in just armour. Also the sword looks a little too fake?
    Remember on the selection screen you aren't limited to early/late period, you can go for whatever is the classical image of that faction.

Really looking forward to this mod!
    Last edited by Mavrik347; April 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

15th century English style armour
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here are both the funerary effigies and a beautiful recreation of John Harington's armour from the mid-15th century. It was an armour designed for the knight on foot. According to Capwell, some of the Italian armourers remarked on just how extensive the English were to cover up their men in plate. Fully enclosed upper and lower leg, fully enclosed upper and lower arm, armoured shoes (sabatons) universally, long metal skirts (fauld), extensive neck and face protection, etc. The closest equivalent would perhaps be 16th century tournament armour. It looks very good in my opinion.

Two effigy images

Harrington himself died a few yeas after Agincourt, in 1418, but the origin of the effigy is in 1440 (ergo, the year of the armour). Additional belts, straps, crest and a fine longsword can be observed on his side.

Source

Recreation of his armour

English Marines (High-Late period)

I looked into the use of shields, and I found that a great number of Pavises in the English armouries. Here is a distribution of those left in the Tower. It turns out a great number of these shields were issued to ships but also to sieges. The interesting part is a peculiar shield design, so I thought, an English Marine unit. In the muster rolls, the nature of activity are often referred to as Exped Navel or Keeping of the Sea. The Pavises were also intended for siege use, so it can also be a land unit.

Pavises with the following display: ‘1,358 pavises of board, covered in bronze, painted blue with an escutcheon of the arms of St George in the centre of each pavise,’ issued to William Clewer, clerk of the king’s ships.

‘et in ml ccclviij pavisis de tabulis enniatis depictis colore ynde cum uno scuto de armis sancti Georgii in medio cuiuslibet paviso, liberatis Willelmo Clevare, clerico navium regis;’
    The arms and armour of the ships were.

Each ship had about 40 archers and 50 men-at-arms.

• bows, jacks and habergeons for 40 archers.
    • 24 spears, 24 pollaxes, coat-of-plates for the men-at-arms.
    • 60 pavises decorated as mentioned above
    • A number of bacinets. I don't know the use of visors or not.
    • One cannon (19 bullets).

Additional quotes from the Tower armouries from Richardson's thesis.

The provision of pavises in very large numbers during this early period is new
    and also unexpected, as pavises have traditionally been associated with
    continental warfare rather than the English system. The details in the accounts show
    that the pavises were all issued to ships, and that they were decorated with the royal
    arms, arms of St George, and with the garters of the Order of the Garter, which is
    first recorded on pavises in 1351, showing how prominently the symbolism of the
    order was used by Edward III in the early years of the war

[...]

The presence of the symbol of the Order of the Garter on this group of
    pavises adds to our understanding of the role of the order in its earliest days. Juliet
    Vale has suggested that the garter could have been adopted as a symbol by Edward
    III as early as 1346, prior to the actual foundation of the order in 1348.

The pavises in the privy wardrobe accounts show that the presence of garters on a ship’s
    streamer (minor flags), made by John of Cologne, was not a lone use of the order’s symbol in that
    context, but that by the mid-1350s the king’s ships were intended to be covered in
    the symbols of Edward III’s new order of chivalry, as was the army, if the pavises
    were also intended for siege use.
    Issues of arms to ships are numerous throughout the period also, and again
    correspond very accurately to the known sizes of the crews. From this late period a
    good example in John Norbury’s account is the issue of bows, jacks and habergeons
    for forty archers, together with 144 bowstrings and 100 sheaves of arrows, twenty-
    four lances and twenty-four pollaxes, sixty pavises and one cannon, the latter with
    nineteen bullets and 40 lb of gunpowder, to the Trinity in 1404. The ship had a crew
    of ninety.

Issues of armour to ships comprised 120 pairs of plates and bacinets to the cog John
    (along with mail pisanes, mentioned above, basically main skirts), seventy
    pairs of plates and bacinets to the cog Ward, thirty pairs of plates and twelve bacinets
    to the Marie de la Toure, and twelve pairs of plates and bacinets to the Isabel and
    Welifare.

On the topic of Pavises, I'll just briefly mention another shield design
    The Tower received in 1351–3 from John of Cologne, the king’s armourer:

• 1,040 pavises painted white with an inescutcheon of the king’s arms surrounded by a garter in blue
    • 100 large pavises of burnished silver gilt, with the king’s arms in the centre of each under a garter
    • one pavise with the king’s arms

quarterly from Sir Thomas Rokeby.
    Another description of the same 100 pavises
    ‘large, with leaves of silver gilt and with an escutcheon with the arms of the king within a garter’
    Here it seems we have 1000 standard pavises, 100 shields designed for a retinue of higher caliber as well as one special pavise for a captain. What exactly this means, I don't know, but at least it's food for thought. How big exactly all these pavises were, I don't know.

EDIT: Collection of 15th century English Knightly armour blueprints

1400-1450

1400-1425

1410-1430

1430-1445

1440-1445

1450-1500

Summary of the evolution of English 15th century knightly armour in 6 minutes.
    Start 38:00

Here is speculation of what Richard the III would've looked like in 1485. Start 22:30

He mentions that Milanese was the industrial mass production center of armour at the time, providing most of the armour for the English men-at-arms at the latter half of the 15th century, at the time of Richard the III.

​~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Interesting finds. If I get around to make English full plate armour, I will take a look at this reference again. Somebody wanted me to also recreate Tobias Matthews version of english armour.

Is it possible to change the reload rate of the English longbow men as on heavy shot it took them nearly a full minute to fire one shot.otherwise loving the mod and can't wait for campaign.

Sorry just notice that the issue i-of time is being debated already in another thread.

In my opinion the reload rate makes sense now, but as I played with the English longbow men they hardly killed anyone. Are they too weak or am I doing something wrong? I'm always using heavy shots as normal shots don't seem to damage anything.

Icon3 Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of England

Slytacular, re your PM request for images - here are some for 13th century England:

An Effigy of a Knight with pick/hammer and round shield, Malvern Abbey, England, 1225
    . Man-At-Arms c. 1250 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on the Malvern Abbey effigy
    Effigies of Temple Church, London, England, 13th century
    English soldiers & hunters in the Rochester Bestiary c.1230

Statues of knights on Wells Cathedral, England, c.1230-40
    A knight c.1250 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath a statue at Wells Cathedral
    Effigy of William Longespée, Earl of Salisbury (d.1226), in Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire, England, c.1230-40
    A knight in Summa de vitiis et virtutibus by Willelmus Peraldus, British Library Harley MS 3244, England, c. 1236
    Soldiers on a War Elephant in a Bestiary, British Library Harley MS 4751, England, 2nd quarter of the 13th century
    Soldiers in Chronica Majora by Matthew Paris, England, 1240-53

Richard and Saladin; Combat Series; Chertsey tiles, England, 1250s, British Museum number: 1885,1113.9051-9060
    Simon de Montfort in a mid-13th century window at Chartres Cathedral
    . A knight c.1175 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on Simon de Montfort in a window at Chartres Cathedral
    Martyrdom of St. Thomas Becket of Canterbury in the Carrow Psalter, England, c.1250
    Mural with a scene of the Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket, St Peter's Church, Preston Village, Brighton, England, mid 13th century
    'King Offa Setting Out on His Expedition' from the Life of Saint Alban by Matthew Paris, England, after 1250AD, Dublin, Trinity College Library, MS 177
    . Trumpeter in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath based on the Life of Saint Alban by Matthew Paris
    Detail of a soldier in scale armour, Scenes from the life of St. John in an Apocalypse, England, c. 1250-1260

. 13th century western european infantryman in scale armour in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on the life of St. John in an Apocalypse
    Effigy of c.1260 of Robert de Vere, Earl of Oxford, (with poleyns attached to quilted cuisses), d. 1221. Hatfield Broad Oak Church, England
    . English Knight c.1260 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on the effigy of of Robert de Vere, Hatfield Broad Oak Church
    English Knights in St John's College Psalter K.26, c.1270-80
    Tomb of a knight wearing plastron de fer, in Pershore Abbey, c.1280
    . A knight of c.1270 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on the tomb in Pershore Abbey
    Effigy of Robert de Roos (d.1227), in Temple Church, London, England, late 13th/early 14th centuries

Druzhina345
    13th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Icon3 Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: Kingdom of England

14th and 15th Centuries:
    Jonathan killing Philistines and eating honey, Queen Mary Psalter, England, 1310-12
    Scots & English soldiers on the Charter from Edward II to the city of Carlisle, 1316AD
    A Brass in Trumpington Church of Sir Roger de Trumpington II (d. 1326)
    . A knight of 1289 in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 by Ian Heath, based on a brass in Trumpington church
    English Knights and Infantry in Battle, Holkham Picture Bible, 1326-27AD, British Library MS Add. 47682, folio 40r

. English Infantryman c.1320 in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 1 by Ian Heath, based on the Holkham Picture Bible Book
    Mural with a scene of the Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket, St Peter ad Vincula Church, South Newington, England, c.1330AD

Illustrations of English in French Manuscripts:
    Chroniques de France ou de St Denis, BL Royal 16 G VI, France, 1332-1350
    Grandes Chroniques de France de Charles V BnF MS Français 2813, France, c.1375-1380
    Chroniques de France ou de St Denis, British Library Royal 20 C VII, c.1398

A probable Bidower with javelins in 'Julius Caesar and Attendants' from the 'Nine Heroes Tapestries', Flanders, c. 1385 or 1400–1410

. 14th century Bidower in Armies of the Middle Ages, Volume 1 by Ian Heath, based on the 'Nine Heroes Tapestry'

The illustration of the Knight in the Ellesmere Manuscript of Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, England
    Knights bound in the great river Euphrates, in a York Minster stained glass window, England, 1405-1408
    'Chronicles' by Jean Froissart, Paris, France, 1st Quarter of the 15th Century. Bibliothèque nationale de France, MS Français 2642
    'Chronicles' by Jean Froissart, c.1420AD. Bibliothèque nationale de France, MS Français 2649
    'Chronicles' by Jean Froissart, Bruges, Belgium, c.1470-1475AD. Artist: Loyset Liédet et al. Bibliothèque nationale de France, MS Français 2643
    Alabaster panel with a scene of the Martyrdom of St Thomas Becket, England, 1450-1500

Druzhina345
    14th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Awesome! Thanks! I sent you a private message on Taleworlds of the York Minster a long time ago of a 13th century stained glass depicting a horseman wearing a chevalier and carrying a lance. I wasn't sure if you forgot about it?
    Last edited by Slytacular; May 26, 2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    Awesome! Thanks! I sent you a private message on Taleworlds of the York Minster a long time ago of a 13th century stained glass depicting a horseman wearing a chevalier and carrying a lance. I wasn't sure if you forgot about it?
    Yes, I have had them on my 15th century list since then. The one above also links to Knights on Lion-Headed Horses in a York Minster stained glass window

Druzhina345
    15th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

York Minster Medieval stained glass 1310

I don't know why I couldn't find another picture on the internet depicting the same glass window. The only thing people cared to take pictures of were the monkeys on that same window.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    York Minster Medieval stained glass 1310

I don't know why I couldn't find another picture on the internet depicting the same glass window. The only thing people cared to take pictures of were the monkeys on that same window.
    Which item is the "chevalier"?

Druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Sorry, I think it might be cervelliere or skull cap is what I was trying to say. Found a picture finally.

Dude with a green tunic, skull cap, carries a lance, holding the reins of his horse, has a white banner sticking out. Can't miss him!

Awesome work guys! Keep it up!

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

After seen some negative comments beneath MKTW youtube videos of the English using their (long)bowmen as early as the mods startdate, I decided to post this description of king Richards amphibious assault on Cyprus in 1191, it is also very important to note that the man writing it died in 1194, meaning it is not a later date re-imagination;

"The king, accompanied by his bowmen, was first to land, the rest followed, and as soon as they reached the shore one and all flung themselves upon the Emperor and his Griffons(Greeks). The arrows fell like rain upon the grass. After a prolonged conflict the Emperor, having lost a multitude of his men, fled, and his entire host with him. The king of England, exulting in his great victory, pursued, and made a very great slaughter of all who resisted, and, had not night fallen soon, he would have taken the Emperor himself that day, either alive or dead." - Benedict of Peterborough

Longbows are an ancient weapon. Some countries would call it "primitive."

Although let's try not to get into the discussion of longbows again. That's been an over discussed issue since the 20th century.
    Last edited by Slytacular; June 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

It is not a question of longbows themselves, but the English deploying large numbers of archers in the early 13th century, which some doubted, and I refuted their doubts with this late 12th century source.

The source is also important in the sense that the archers are described as going along with the king himself as the "storming troops" while the rest of the army is described as following them.

Meaning they were top tier soldiers even at that time.

Hello guys, these English units are awesome, all of them are!
    I just want to know if there will be more late era units?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast