Thread: How to create a faction, a community driven project to make a complete guide.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Icon3 How to create a faction, a community driven project to make a complete guide.

Hey this is a attempt to create a complete "how to create a faction" guide, as a community driven project, which means input is important or else this will properly remain incomplete.
    I will try my best to update it, but I am not always online, so I hope the moderators will feel free to update it when other users got input, updates, corrections and further tutorials to make it complete.

I will explain most of it, with Assembly kit as it is easier to edit and export to pfm for further edits. (as in removing things which is already there, so no duplets)

I will recommend to make a extra infix so it is easier to see what things you have added yourself, and keep it in the same style as the normal db writing, as in att_fact_*infix*_*name of faction* and att_fact_*infix*_separatist_*name of faction* as I did att_fact_bac_royal.
    It will all be group nice together in the db, and will be easier to find.

I want to start out with faction grouping.
    when you select a faction to play you might notice each is put under a group, which adds some kind of bonus to it.

Faction Group.
    We open faction_groups to add our own group, we use add Record to make a new row, to write our new group.
    The first column is named "key" which in most cases means it is the primary key for that table, which needs special rules 1: it has to have a unique name within the table, but try still to familiar with the rest of the DB, as in (att_fact_group_bac_bactria).
    some times it is a unique number, but assembly will auto generated it for you.
    Next column is called name_localised, which just is flat out the name of the group, then it is is exported it will properly be in a loc file, so remember to include it.
    Next column is called ui_icon which is the icon for the group, write the name of your groups icon it needs to be a png, the folder path is Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Attila\data\UI\skins\default
    Next column is called effect_bundle which is the bonus a faction under the group gets, I will go in depth with how to create a effect bundle next, but for now write a name for it, again I would recommend to call it something like (att_faction_trait_bac_bactria)
    the last column is called description_localised, which is just flat out the description of the group and same thing again with name_localised it will be saved in a loc file properly the same file.

Effect bundles and effects in general.
    First thing to make clear, you will notice a lot of different tables uses this table and these steps can be used to create other bundles for other tables rather then just faction_group.
    Open up effect_bundles table and (again use add record to make a effect_bundle)the first column is again called key, which as said before the primary key for the table so use the same name as you did in the column called effect_bundle from the other table, as the former we did (att_faction_trait_bac_bactria).
    The next column is called localised_title which is the name of the bundle, and will be saved in a loc file, same goes for localised_description.
    Next column is called ui_icon which is the icon for the effect_bundle, write the name of your effect_bundle icon it needs to be a png, the folder path is Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Attila\data\UI\skins\default
    The last column is called bundle_target, and it is there to tell the game what it effects, there are about 4 types to choose from (character; it will only effect characters, faction; will only effect factions, force; will only effect forces, province; which will effect all 3 cities in the provinces, region; which is only one city)
    now we open effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions table to give our effect_bundle some effects!!!
    Here we will have to add multiple rows to give our effect_bundle multiple effects, and here is a good hint, always see how CA wrote their things and always try to copy it off.
    The first column is called effect_bundle_key and refer to the effect_bundle from before, here it will know to assign each effect to each bundle.
    The next column is called effect_key which contains what kind of effect there is in use, I will recommend to start out small an copy existing elements in that column form other effect_bundles.
    The next column is called value, and it just contains a number value, there are different rules for each effects, some are just a few numbers others are in procents.
    The next column is effect_scope and it is abit like bundle_target so I will not list them all.
    the Last column is called advancment_stage, there are just two start_turn_completed and end_turn_completed.
    So Now you have created a effect_bundle.

Faction table.
    here I would add two rows per faction for a normal playable facction and the separatist faction, and you will see that it generate a new index number per row which has to be unique, which is why it is a good reason why to do it with Assembly kit.
    The first column is key again and it is here you put in the name of your faction, as in att_fact_bac_royal.
    next column is the index, and as said before no need to edit it, unless you are compling other peoples faction mod into a whole.
    next column is subculture, and it is part of a bigger system of culture db, which makes the rules for how faction is treating one and another, or which buildings they can have and so on.
    But for now select the subculture which is closes to what you are trying to create.
    next column is catagory, just select playable.
    next column is called screen_name, is is again a loc file, and serves as what the factions name is.
    next column is screen_name_when_rebels, same as before but is for when it rebels.
    the next column is called screen_adjective and is again a loc file, and is just the adjective of the faction.
    The next column is called name_group, and is a poll of names a faction can get from, again it is a matter choice of how much depths you want to add, but can select any existing name_group or make you own.
    The next column is skin, Not 100% sure what this column does, so for now use what ever is closest to your creating from existing factions.
    Next column is called icons_path_units, just keep it data\ui\
    The Next column is flags_path, and it is here it is told were the faction icons is, the icons needs to be called mon_*size*, and needs the following mon_24.dds, mon_24.png (they are 24x24),mon_64.dds, mon_64.png(they are 64x64) and mon_256.dds, mon_256.png(they are 256x256). and remember to make the correct folder name of your choicing, as data\ui\flags\royal.
    I will recommend the following programs to make those:
    -Inkscape, as it allows you to make different sizes of the icon.
    https://inkscape.org/en/
    -Gimp, to save the files from inkscape into its correct format.
    http://www.gimp.org/
    -Gimp dds plugin, it is a must or else you can't make it work with gimp.
    https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/d...in64-2.2.1.zip
    the next column is called republican_flag_path and same_gov_type_evolution_flag_path, and is a old legacy file from nap and empire, so for now don't waste to much time just write data\ui\flags\.
    the next few columns are RGB codes and it is really just the first 3 which is important, so I will focus on the Primary_color columns, it is here which color your faction have, use this webside to proper see your RGB color code:
    http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm
    now skip all along till a column called military_group, this column determines which unit your faction can use, you can write your own or use a existing military_group.
    You can add your own military_group in the groupings_military table, remember to add units to it ofcouse.
    The next column is settler_rebellion_faction, Not 100% sure what this column does, so for now use what ever is closest to your creating from existing factions.
    next column is mp_available and mp_available_naval, is is just there so you can play with it in custom battle, so turn it true for those who need it.
    the next column movie_death_event is properly legacy code from shogun 2, so let it remain blank.
    the next 2 columns called mp_use_republic_early and mp_use_republic_late, is again properly legacy code from nap and empire, so left them both be false.
    Next two columns is unit_regiment_name_group and ship_name_group, and I am not 100% sure about these two, as legion names are in military_force_legacy_names, and is connected to which subculture a faction is in.
    But i think it is tied into then there is no general leading the legion, and generates a name to the captain, so keep it the same as you did to the name_group.
    The next column is ui_skin and I am not 100% sure about this one, but out from the name it is properly tied into so each faction can get a different ui.
    The next two is attack_desc and defend_desc, and is saved into a loc file, here you just write a description for what is happing then the player attacks or defends against said faction, as in You are attacking the Bactrian Empire! and You are defending against the Bactrian Empire!
    the next column is called mp_stats_name, I am not 100% sure this one, but keep it blank like all the rest are doing.
    The next column is pre_battle_speech_parameter, just keep it PBS_PARAMETER_UNUSED, like the rest.
    The next 3 columns are legacy files from shogun 2, so for both keep it placeholder.
    The next column is can_be_regionless, is the column which determines if the faction can survive with out regions, so keep it true if they can, false if not.
    the next 3 is called card_colour, and is again the RGB code and determines what color is used on the unit cards.
    The next column is senator_total, is there to tell how many nobles or senators there are.
    the next 5 columns are loc files again, so the player can see how much support in the senate they have, I would recommend just to copy from a existing faction.
    The next column is can_be_horde, here it is the same as can_be_regionless, but with horde in mind, so true if they can and false if not.
    The next column is use_military_force_morale, not 100% sure but keep it true for both separatists and normal.
    the next column is uses_legion_names same as before not 100% sure so keep it false.
    The next column is mp_force_gen_template, this is a weird one, so I am not 100% sure of it, but either keep it default or go with one which similar with the faction you are creating.
    The next column is called win_movie, it is here the db knows which movie to show then you win the campaign, I don't know how to add or edit new movies into the db, so I will recommend to select one which is similar to the faction you are creating (it is not so important), and keep it blank for separatists.
    the last column is voiceover_subculture, and it is just what voices the faction is using, so again use one from another faction which feels similar to your creation.

Faction_banners and faction_uniform_colours

these two are much a like with only one difference, is in faction_banners there is a column called symbol, but I believe its a legacy file from shogun 2, were faction icons belong there, so keep it blank, as the system properly don't know what to do with it.
    but any ways it again with the RGB code, so the key is the faction name, as in att_fact_bac_royal from the faction table.
    the next 9 columns are for each color the faction can use.

political_parties.
    Foreach faction needs to be a ruler and a council, and that is for both separatists and normal factions, so if you made just one faction, you needs to add 4 new rows.
    The first column is called key, and here we give the name foreach party in the factions, as in att_politics_royal_council for the non player, att_politics_royal_ruler for the player, and separatists att_politics_royal_separatist_council att_politics_royal_separatist_ruler, and so on.
    The next column is name_localised and is a loc file again, and here you name each party, as in for the ruler party The Bactria Royalists and the council Other Nobles
    Next column is called playable, this one determines which party is playable, back in my old guide for rome 2:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ion-or-Familys
    You could make multiple parties to play from, but I am 50% sure you can't make it in Attila.
    So false for the council and true for the ruler, for both normal and separatists factions
    next is associated_surname, not sure keep it blank.
    next is ui_icon, not sure so keep it x in all of them.
    Next is effect_bundle, same as before mentioned, but give council att_bundle_dummy, they can't use the bonus any ways, but for the normal and separatists give the wanted effect_bundle.
    next column is description_locaised, and is again a loc file, so here you can give a fitting description of each party.
    The last one is initial_poweer, and is the procent of how much control each party has to begin with, I prefer to give 60% to ruler and 40% to council.

political_paties_power_effect_bundles.
    Here you give political power to the ruler party, so the more power they have the better or worse it gets.
    there is 9 powers to give, so add 9 rows for each normal faction you made, Important NOT for the separatist, only for playable factions(normal factions)
    first column is here you write the party, as in att_politics_royal_ruler in each row.
    Next column is the effect_bundle, you can make your own, but in this case to keep it fair and balanced I would recommend to use the normals as in att_bundle_political_power_*number*.
    the last column is power_level, and it is here each are activated per how much control the player has in the council.
    the normal is 0,11,22,33,44,55,66,77,88.

faction_political_parties_junctions.

Here we assign each party to each faction,
    the first column is faction_key here you add the faction.
    the last you add each party in the faction.
    remember this to has to be done with the normal and separatists.

I hope I will have time to add more and/or people have some input, as it is currently incomplete.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; August 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

Default Re: How to create a faction, a community driven project to make a complete guide.

Awesome, thank you!
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Gyan-Avspar's Avatar Foederatus
    Islamic Republic of Iran,Mazandaran,Chalus

Default Re: How to create a faction, a community driven project to make a complete guide.

By the way can you tell me how to remove a faction