Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: 2D Art Preview Thread

Default Re: 2D Art Preview Thread

Dude that's so awesome and very helpful! That's exactly the kind of insight I need right now! Incidentally, France is on the campaign map right now so this timing is perfect!

Impressive work! I surely do hope we get to play this before CA makes the "Medieval III" XP Europe Barbarorum 2 for Medieval 2 suffered a crude fate in my opinion, finished as Rome II was published.

Beautifully done. Maybe link them in the first post of this thread? Also it would be a damn good preview for the General Overview thread in this forum.
    EN TIBI UT SENTIAS QUAM VILE CORPUS SIT IIS QUI MAGNAM GLORIAM VIDENT
    C. MUCIUS SCAEVOLA

[IMG]normal_IMG_0532-saunje-0[/IMG]

This is the fresco of Shalva of Akhaltsikhe, great Georgian general. The fresco is from early 13th century monastery called ''Timotes ubani''.

http://amigo.ge/saunjegallery/albums...2-saunje~0.jpg

finix's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by GGGeorgia View Post
    This is the fresco of Shalva of Akhaltsikhe, great Georgian general. The fresco is from early 13th century monastery called ''Timotes ubani''.

http://amigo.ge/saunjegallery/albums...2-saunje~0.jpg
    The problem with orthodox images of kings and important people is that they are made in iconographic canon. Which makes all faces the same, and will not work here
    [IMG][/IMG]

Very beautiful artwork! Would it be possible to build wonders like how you could build the Colosseum in Rome 2? The 13th century was the period of Gothic architecture. Salisbury Cathedral, the Palazzo Pubblico, the Florence Cathedral, and Amiens Cathedral were all built in the mods time frame

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hey finix, if you're ever doing faction leader in Scandinavia then these are all the ones I could find. It contains modern artistic representations and other pictures as well for context.

Eric X of Sweden.

The first image is artistic representation, the second is for context in case that helps and the third is his seal.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Inge II of Norway

Two first images are artistic representations, third one is from a church monument and the last is his seal.

Valdemar II of Denmark

The two first are artistic representations, the third is from a wall and the last is his seal.

(the attire is not representative of early 13th century, but the face can be used I guess)

​~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Mate exellent work with building icons. Can I make a small suggestion? Instead of using the same icons for church schools and churches, you can use main town buildings line from Charlemagne including Church, minster etc. I think that would make it easier to distinguish.

^ good observation!

For all who wants Georgia

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by finix; February 03, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

you have a cool style of art, I really like the picture

Finix, maybe instead of cathedral school, it could be university, and instead of master cloth maker, it would be paper mill. I'm also thinking that maybe common bath houses should replace canals.

Definitely +1 on universities being top tier education building.

Ok, I'll change the Cathedral School to University. For paper mill I'm a little skeptical is not as widespread in Europe at this time, except if I give it as a 5 option in mill's building chain and only in some cities
    in Aragon Kingdom and Germany
    "The earliest certain evidence to a water-powered paper mill dates to 1282 in the Spanish Kingdom of Aragon.[16] A decree by the Christian king Peter III addresses the establishment of a royal "molendinum", a proper hydraulic mill, in the paper manufacturing centre of Xŕtiva.[16] The crown innovation appears to be resented by the local Muslim papermakering community; the document guarantees the Muslim subjects the right to continue their way of traditional papermaking by beating the pulp manually and grants them the right to be exempted from work in the new mill.[16]

The first permanent paper mill north of the Alpes was established in Nuremberg by Ulman Stromer in 1390; it is later depicted in the lavishly illustrated Nuremberg Chronicle.[17] From the mid-14th century onwards, European paper milling underwent a rapid improvement of many work processes."

I don't want to give Bath houses to catholic kingdoms, I prefer to be in the chain of Orthodox kingdoms and something similar for Muslim kingdoms. The reason is that at that time in Europe hygiene is very low, but not for those who live in the remains of the last Roman Empire - the eastern Roman Empire. So the Orthodox kingdoms will have access to Bath Houses.

My idea for the The Canals to be able to appear as an option only in some cities - Venice, Antwerp, London..
    Last edited by finix; February 04, 2016 at 04:47 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Untrue about poor hygiene in northern Europe and lack of bath houses. I recall reading (or hearing) some stuff on the matter, with quotations of civic rules about public baths from Krakow from ca. 14th/15th century - things like punishments for walking naked from your house to the bath (only with a towel), or monthly actions to round up the poor and the homeless and bathe them all to prevent disease outbreaks. Funnily enough, there was an opposition to public baths, mostly in the Church, because a large grouping of undressed people meant they could engage in immoral acts more easily.

But from the gameplay standpoint I like the division between culture groups. The catholic sanitation line seems to be more about sewage control rather than personal hygiene, other groups don't hint at that.

I love it it's cool )

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

Icon7 Re: 2D Art Preview Thread

Next go! :sparta:
    Grand Prince Ruryk Rostyslavych (reigned of Chernigov 1210-1214, and died there)!
    Try to stick to your style, you can do something to fix if it's necessary.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Good one, Inyk !

Inyk's Avatar Foederatus

Family tree Ruryk Rostyslavych (Chernigov)

Last edited by Inyk; March 03, 2016 at 07:56 PM.