Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Myths in History - what do you know?

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Default Myths in History - what do you know?

So I've given this alot of thought lately, and have come to realize that alot of what I've been taught in history is false, or at least highly debatable.
    I think this seems to be the right place to collect and discuss popular myths of history.

Please give your example and where it is told, tell us why said story is false, and please give sources and information about said claim and why it is false.

Here is an example.

"People used to think the world was flat in the middle ages before Columbus proved them wrong"

Background: It was considered a real danger to go too far across the ocean because one would fall over the edge of the world.
    It's retold in movies, games and other popular culture, Columbus set up to prove that the earth was round, and to earn money doing it (from trade).

Info: People did not believe the Earth was flat, at least the scholars didn't. They based their knowledge on that of classic Greek and Roman scholars, such as Aristoteles, who proved the Earth was spherical.

Dr. James Hannam writes in an article about the origins of the myth:

The myth that people in the Middle Ages thought the earth is flat appears to date from the 17th century as part of the campaign by Protestants against Catholic teaching. But it gained currency in the 19th century, thanks to inaccurate histories such as John William Draper's History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science (1874) and Andrew Dickson White's History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom (1896). Atheists and agnostics championed the conflict thesis for their own purposes, but historical research gradually demonstrated that Draper and White had propagated more fantasy than fact in their efforts to prove that science and religion are locked in eternal conflict.

Something like that

Let me hear what popular myths you have guys.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Add...istianity.html

http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/...histmyths7.htm

http://www.livescience.com/16468-chr...-americas.html
    Last edited by Spajjder; August 12, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Default Re: Myths in History - what do you know?

The Khazars probably never converted to Judaism:

Abstract: The view that some or all of the Khazars, a central Asian people, converted to Judaism at some point during the ninth or tenth century is widely accepted. A careful examination of the sources, however, shows that some of them are pseudepigraphic, and the rest are of questionable reliability. Many of the most reliable contemporary texts that mention Khazars say nothing about their conversion, nor is there any archaeological evidence for it. This leads to the conclusion that such a conversion never took place.
    Did the Khazars Convert to Judaism?

Abstract: The origin and history of the Ashkenazi Jewish population have long been of great interest, and advances in high-throughput genetic analysis have recently provided a new approach for investigating these topics. We and others have argued on the basis of genome-wide data that the Ashkenazi Jewish population derives its ancestry from a combination of sources tracing to both Europe and the Middle East. It has been claimed, however, through a reanalysis of some of our data, that a large part of the ancestry of the Ashkenazi population originates with the Khazars, a Turkic-speaking group that lived to the north of the Caucasus region ~1,000 years ago. Because the Khazar population has left no obvious modern descendants that could enable a clear test for a contribution to Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry, the Khazar hypothesis has been difficult to examine using genetics. Furthermore, because only limited genetic data have been available from the Caucasus region, and because these data have been concentrated in populations that are genetically close to populations from the Middle East, the attribution of any signal of Ashkenazi-Caucasus genetic similarity to Khazar ancestry rather than shared ancestral Middle Eastern ancestry has been problematic. Here, through integration of genotypes on newly collected samples with data from several of our past studies, we have assembled the largest data set available to date for assessment of Ashkenazi Jewish genetic origins. This data set contains genome-wide single-nucleotide polymorphisms in 1,774 samples from 106 Jewish and non-Jewish populations that span the possible regions of potential Ashkenazi ancestry: Europe, the Middle East, and the region historically associated with the Khazar Khaganate. The data set includes 261 samples from 15 populations from the Caucasus region and the region directly to its north, samples that have not previously been included alongside Ashkenazi Jewish samples in genomic studies. Employing a variety of standard techniques for the analysis of population genetic structure, we find that Ashkenazi Jews share the greatest genetic ancestry with other Jewish populations, and among non-Jewish populations, with groups from Europe and the Middle East. No particular similarity of Ashkenazi Jews with populations from the Caucasus is evident, particularly with the populations that most closely represent the Khazar region. Thus, analysis of Ashkenazi Jews together with a large sample from the region of the Khazar Khaganate corroborates the earlier results that Ashkenazi Jews derive their ancestry primarily from populations of the Middle East and Europe, that they possess considerable shared ancestry with other Jewish populations, and that there is no indication of a significant genetic contribution either from within or from north of the Caucasus region.
    No Evidence from Genome-Wide Data of a Khazar Origin for the Ashkenazi Jews
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Here's another one, of similar origin (intra-Christian anti-Catholic sentiment), that I used to subscribe to long ago:

"Muslim Spain was this paradise of tolerance and cultural co-existence"

True... if you're setting the bar very low. That is, 16th century Europe/21st century Middle East low. The relatively "tolerant" atmosphere was more due to the lack of central religious authorities like the Catholic Church (and possibly lack of centralization in general?), as well as the whims of the local rulers, than to any religious properties of Islam or ethno-cultural properties of the colonial ruling class. Oh and of course that doesn't include the later periods of the Almoravids and Almohads. Not saying things got any better in the post-Reconquista era, what with expelling anyone who wasn't Catholic, just trying to put things into perspective.
    All in all, I think it's a little bit like saying that the CSA were very tolerant of black freedmen.

There's also a lot of horrific condescending new-agey myths around about Native (North) Americans - the whole stuff about being magically connected to nature and so on - mostly perpetuated by con men, some of whom aren't even ethnically Native Ameican. If you've watched Star Trek Voyager, you'll see what I mean. Apparently (according to the reviewer from SF Debris), the production team fell victim to one such con artist.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    That's amazing, I didn't know about that.

People have this idea that early adopters of iron weapons were able to defeat their bronze wielding equivalents on simple virtue of being able to cut their weapons in half. This is usually result of people hearing iron and thinking of modern steel alloys, which are an entirely different creature from an engineering standpoint.
    (note: this is a copy paste of something I already wrote in another thread a few weeks back; skip it if you start getting a feeling of deja vu):

There's this misconception people have that iron is just all around better then bronze as a structural material, and makes for an unquestionable "upgrade".
    In truth, iron has a lot of limitations when you don't have modern metallurgy to apply to it. While modern steel can be made both hard and somewhat flexible, early iron was very high in carbon, which meant it was both very hard, and very brittle, which really isn't much of an improvement over softer bronze (I'd prefer having my sword bend then shatter). Bronze could also be cast into shape at a fairly low temperature, and without compromising it too much, unlike iron which for a long time had to be worked into shape (which takes skilled labor), and even when they did figure out how to get it hot enough to melt and cast, would take a couple of more centuries to get a casting process that didn't leave it hard and brittle.
    There's also the matter of corrosion resistance, which bronze is reasonably good at right out of the box, but iron requires modern alloys (usually some mix of chrome and nickle) to pull off.

My understanding is that the switch from bronze to iron only really started taking off during the bronze age collapse, when the trade routes started pushing up daisies and people could no longer get tin to mix with their (much more abundant) copper, so they turned to another common mineral that didn't rely on trade routes, iron.
    They eventually decided to keep the iron once the trade routes were restored, but not before bronze made a comeback and coexisted with iron for centuries. Getting rid of bronze entirely was a long, slow process, driven by both improved iron working techniques, and bronze's higher cost, and it took a while. Weapons usually traded metals before armor though, because being lighter (as an iron construct would be) is crucial for a better weapon, while armor was sometimes actually more effective due to the added weight (a greater mass of material to push aside before getting at the person wearing it).
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

That Rome salted Carthage after the 3rd punic war - not.

The Destruction of Carthage: A Retractatio
    B. H. Warmington
    Classical Philology
    Vol. 83, No. 4 (Oct., 1988), pp. 308-310

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Myth of silent reading being rare in the classical world. I really don't have time to go into detail besides scavenging old posts (which themselves are scavenged from old posts ironically):

from me here 2008

This topic has come up twice recently.

It remains a zombie of century old scholarship that simply will not die. No matter if you stake it through the heart, cut of its head and bury it in a bog and jump on top of the grave three times while making pithy statements in a bad Austrian accent.

I just can across a review for

Reinventing Knowledge: From Alexandria to the Internet‘ by Ian F. McNeely, Lisa Wolverton

It seems clear both from the review, and from the limited search Amazon allows that the authors are still citing and accepting the canard that silent reading was invented in the medieval era – at least in the geographic space = Classical World/Roman Empire/Hellenist East/Northern European/etc. (I honestly have never seen a comparison to China on this point – I suppose one could find something in Needham)

The only citation on the topic is Paul Saenger and his work “Silent Reading” (in the book that is)

Given that the book discusses knowledge and it transmission to the internet is seems odd the authors could not avail themselves of a simple ‘goggle scholar’ search on this ideal (no silent reading in the classical world or even it being marginal unusual or hard).

Of course it requires one click over to page two and avoid the obvious first hit of Paul Saenger's book in order to actually get to a discussion of the fallacy of the concept in the professional literature.
    ------------------------------

[Bold below are questions from another place - Italics are a collection of my old posts]

Meanwhile I'm interested if you could point out some of the most important works which dispute this theory.

Sure - I hope you don't mind if I just cut and past a series of posts I made about 2 years ago.

This series of posts started out in reply to someone bringing up the noted examples of Augustine's mention of his mentors silent reading...

First Part:

Slow day at work with lost of access to Online Journals so about reading silently…

That silent reading was unknown is likely very very likely yoverstated – or in the words M. F. Burnyeat (1) about the story in question a myth; “… the widespread myth that Augustine in the forth century A.D. was amazed by Ambrose’s silent reading;”.

The idea that reading silently was rare and exceptional was established as conventional wisdom by Josef Balogh in an article he publish back in 1927(2,3,4)(Edit: looks like he was actually following a brief mention of the Ambose story by Eduard Norden in 1898 in Die antike Kunstprosa). Balogh’s conclusion was pretty much in line with the typical understanding of the Ambrose story; that all classical reading was aloud and that silent readers was rare and viewed as surprising or amazing. It has remained a very resilient conclusion even though Bernard Knox offered a very complete and harsh rebuttal of the Balogh’s conclusions in the 60’s (5).

Knox argues that Balogh was pretty much flat wrong and that he was more or less looking to find evidence to support the Ambrose story no matter how much he had to twist facts. This is mostly aimed the later Roman evidence where he shows Balogh passed over or just misinterpreted evidence from Rome of silent reading. He also takes Balogh to task for missing large amounts evidence from 5th and 4th century Athens that implies private letters, short notes, and similar non literature was typically read silently. Finally Knox also notes that Augustine mentions elsewhere in his writing that he (Augustine) could read silently in a mater of fact way.

Overall Knox concludes: that literary works (novels etc) were often read aloud but convention or tradition dictated this, not need (thus Cicero might read aloud but could read silently and did); while private correspondence, business and legal documents, notes, etc were generally read silently.

That fact that literary works were still commonly read aloud is often chalked up to a cultural of ‘orality’ with respect to how literary works were composed expected to enjoyed ;and also the assumed difficulty of reading long texts in roll form with modern punctuation. The view of any particular historian about silent reading tends to influence with just how much emphasis they place of these ideals - for example Knox less so, GL Hendrickson more so.

Balogh’s work seems to keep getting cited, however and so recently the conclusions of Knox and Clark have been restated and reinforced by F Gillirad, M. F. Burnyeat, and Garilov (6,7,8). Gillirad essentially restates Knox’s case and added a few more example of silent reading. He also revisits the Ambrose story and concluded it is misinterpreted. Gillirad's take is like Clark’s that the surprise is that Ambose is always reading silently; even when with friends. Garilov adds a whole appendix of examples of silent reading and feels that Augustine was amazed because he viewed the silent reading as downright rude and reclusive. Finally Burnyeat adds some polemic and a reference to Ptolemy suggesting that there is a time and place for reading aloud, and for silent reading. In particular Ptolemy states that one should learn hard texts reading silently.

Edit: hmm I could have saved time and just posted the abstract of William Johnson's even more recent look at the whole debate (Am Jornal of Philology 121 2000)...

" TOWARD A SOCIOLOGY OF READING IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY WILLIAM A. JOHNSON IN THE LAST CENTURY, scholarly debate on ancient reading has largely revolved around the question “Did the ancient Greeks and Romans read aloud or silently?” Given the recent work of Gavrilov and Burnyeat, which has set the debate on new, seemingly firmer, footing, the question is at first glance easily answered.1 Without hesitation we can now assert that there was no cognitive difficulty when fully literate ancient readers wished to read silently to themselves, and that the cognitive act of silent reading was neither extraordinary nor noticeably unusual in antiquity. This conclusion has been known to careful readers since at least 1968, when Bernard Knox demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that the silent reading of ancient documentary texts, including letters, is accepted by ancient witnesses as an ordinary event.2 Gavrilov and Burnyeat have improved the evidential base, by refining interpretation (especially Gavrilov on Augustine), by focusing on neglected but important evidence (Burnyeat on Ptolemy), and by adding observations from cognitive psychology.3 The resulting clarity is salutary. Yet I suspect many will be dissatisfied with the terms in which the debate has been couched. I know that I am. Can we be content with a discussion framed in such a narrow—if not blinkered—fashion? In the fury of battle, the terms of the dispute have crystallized in an unfortunate way. That is, the..."

----

1. Postscript on Silent Reading by M. F. Burnyeat (The Classical Quarterly, 1997).

2. Voces Paginarum by Josef Balogh (Philogus 82, 1927).

3. In the article Ancient Reading, GL Hendrickson took a similar position to Balogh in 1929 (The Classical Journal), He was however more cautious concluding that reading aloud was the norm, but silent reading was not unknown, and probably not uncommon. In addition he also leans toward the ideal the reading aloud would be more common for literary works, and is also cautious about generalizing from the predominantly late Roman evidence to the Greeks.

4. WP Clark in a short note (Ancient Reading Classical Journal 26, 1931) questioned the common take on the Ambrose story – not the fact of silent reading, but always silent reading. Clark also pointed out some evidence from Cicero for silent reading. But as Knox notes the article was largely ignored.

5. Silent Reading in Antiquity Greek Roman and Byzantine Studies 9:4 1968.

6. More Silent Reading in Antiquity: Non Omne Verbum Sonabat, F Gillirad Journal of Biblical Literature 112 1993).

7. Burnyeat above.

8. Techniques of Reading in Classical Antiquity A K Garilov, Classical Quarterly 47 (1997)

Part 2:

A response to this reply:

So reading a literary work silently would be like reading sheet music silently and for pleasure?

Yes

Johnson's addresses that point at length, since he doesn’t buy at face value the culture or ‘orality’ or the ideal that literature was too hard to read quietly*.

His take leans toward the ideal that literature was commonly read aloud because intended for social consumption with friends, family students, etc. So his answer is yes if the family gathered around the piano after dinner they really would not expect the player to just sit and read the music to themselves…

*edit:

Johnson makes a telling argument against reading aloud dictated by lack of punctuation etc. in book rolls, by noting that the classical world was well acquainted with punctuation but specifically ignored it for literary texts.

He offers several examples:

School texts typically included word spacing, legal or technical documents featured punctuation spacing and other aids to clarity, the Romans had used word spacing before there general adoption of Hellenistic literary forms.

Thus he argues the literary book roll sans punctuation was the result of definite choice not the lack of writing technique.

Part 3:

A response to this reply:

Umm... that seems to be a complete misinterpretation of what Augustine said, surely? "Anyone could approach him freely and guests were not commonly announced, so that often, when we came to visit him, we found him reading like this in silence, for he never read aloud." The emphasis on how 'anyone could approach him freely' doesn't sound to me like a condemnation of someone for being reclusive. And Augustine comments specifically on the fact that Ambrose is often discovered reading silently when he's alone - contradicting the Gillirad theory that this would be normal activity.

Of course, it may be a mistake to generalize about standards of literacy in 4th-century Italy to the rest of the Classical world...

Not if you look at more than just a sentence or two.

Here is a more extensive section of the passage (from Garvrilov).

I was not at that stage groaning in my prayers that Thou wouldst come to help me. Rather, my anxious mind was intent on finding out and talking things over. Ambrose himself I pictured as one who must be blessed with the happiness of this world, since such important persons looked up to him; his celibacy was the only thing that to me seemed a burden. As for his hopes, and the struggle he had to keep up against the temptations of eminence itself, what consoled him in adversity, and how the inner mouth-the one in his heart-fed upon the nourishing joy of Thy bread, all that I lacked the knowledge even to guess at. Likewise, he did not know my anguish or the snares that threatened me, since I could not ask him the questions I wanted to ask in the way I wanted to ask them-I could never gain his ear and have words with him, because he was surrounded by crowds of busy people whose needs he was attending to. And when he was not with them, which was never for long, he would either refresh his body with the sustenance it needed, or his mind with reading. But when he was reading, his eyes travelled across the pages and his heart searched out the meaning, but his voice and tongue stayed still. Often we would be there-no-one was forbidden entry, but equally it was not the custom for anyone's entry to be announced to him-and we would see him reading silently. He always read like that. And having sat for a long time in silence (for who would dare disturb one so engrossed in study?), we would go away, guessing that, because he had so little leisure to refresh his mind, he was taking a rest from the clamour of other people's affairs and did not want to be distracted. Perhaps also he was protecting himself in case an obscure passage in the author he was reading led to his having to produce an explanation for some anxiously attentive listener, or to getting involved in a discussion of dificult issues. Time spent on this would result in his not reading as many books as he wished. A more legitimate reason for his reading silently could perhaps have been that he needed to spare his voice, which was all too liable to go hoarse. Whatever his reason for behaving this way, with that man we may be sure it was a good one.

At all events I had no opportunity to make the inquiries I wanted to make of his heart, Thy holy oracle, save only when it was something brief in the telling. That anguish of mine, which so urgently needed pouring out to him at his leisure, never found him so.

With more context I don’t have a problem with Clark and Gillirad’s mild take; that the issues is was that fact Ambrose was always reading to himself, not the fact of silent reading that is in question. I think that Garvrilov’s more extreme argument is perceptive though – Augustine wrote not a History like Thucydides but a personal story of his journey to faith. Thus Garvrilov‘s emphasis that Ambrose’s hobby is seen as something of an irritant to Augustine who wants to talk with his mentor but cannot, and that is what is being communicated to the reader of Augustine’s work– not a Thucydides-like digression on a novel trait or development.

Johnson’s also looks at the passage in a larger context and concludes Augustine is surprised not so much for personal reasons, but vexed that Ambrose a man learning and who owns many books (when most own few if any) should be sharing his books and thoughts on them with his students.

In any case even under typical take – Augustine amazed at the silent reading it remains a singular data point and not simply the popularly know vanguard of a host. The accumulated weight evidence Clark, Knox, Garilov, Gillirad, Burnyeat (and several others - a number historians have noted the evidence from classical Athens cited by Knox but only argued for silent reading in Athens - you go girl) is such that the general proposition that all reading was aloud in Antiquity simply cannot stand.

Even the more restrained position that the complexity of literary works combined with continuous script required that they at least had to read aloud in order to be understood does not seem defensible.

What the heck? Why shouldn't someone be able to read silently?

Well the reasoning starts with Eduard Norden when he commented on the Augustine's story. Since he focused on the fact of silent reading being the surprising thing he looked for and found a reason - the lack of punctuation and the use of continuous script on rolled books. Balogh mustered evidence to show that people in the Classical world often did read aloud. So there you have it: it was too hard and people expected oral performances of literature.

The two recent works reignited the debate: Space Between Words: The Origins of Silent Reading by Saenger, and Article by Achtemeier (Omne verbum sonat: The New Testament and the Oral Environment of Late Western Antiquity Journal of Biblical Literature 109 1990); reiterate the same two points - an oral culture and the difficulty of reading. Both also ignore almost entirely all the work since Balogh

Saenger argues that silent reading was practically imposable because of continuous script and lack of punctuation. The second reason offered is that people did not - the Elites who produced the literature and were its audience viewed it as an extension of an oral culture and that it was to be read aloud. The use of lectors and dictating to secretaries (among wealth Romans) is also brought in to reinforce the ideal of an oral culture. Thus say the fact that Pliny the Elder or Caesar increased their efficiency by dictating to multiple secretaries is used to argue completeness of oral thinking. Achtemeier concludes that no reading or writing occurred without speaking.

I’m personally a little suspect on this last point beyond the counter arguments offered by the articles I cited. In a world without glasses and not the best lighting I don’t find it that unlikely those with money would turn to dictation.

Consider also the stock scene in movies from any time from the 30’s through the 50’s; executives are always dictating to their secretary or into a dictation machine. Aside from any issue of oral culture it seems like an obvious status activity - I don’t have to write for myself like some craftsman, and can afford educated slaves to boot.

edit: I was just remained of this again when watching double indemnity an old film noir set in dunno 1950s. Did the dying protagonist use his dictation machine because of a cultural of orality and lack of reading skills or because he was shot and dying and did not really have the ability or the time write a memo. You guess.

---------------------------------------

The ideal of so called mob rule in Democratic Athens. While it was in fact run more equitably and justly than any contemporary state. And of course the equally well run Democratic Rhodes in the Hellenistic Era
    Last edited by conon394; August 11, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Regarding silent reading, it's more a question of "why the hell shouldn't people have been able to/inclined to silent read"? All you need to silent read is some letters inscribed somewhere and enough light to decipher them. I feel like those who put forward the theory of there being no silent reading in ancient times bear the burden of proof (and more proof, not just from the Graeco-Roman sphere. Also from Asia and Africa) for that theory. Also, how do they think mute people read?

Praeses

"1066 was the last successful invasion of England". In 1688 the Dutch king with a Dutch army drove out the lawful English king (and later drove him from Ireland), in 1485 a Welsh pretender with a French and Scottish force slew the English King and took the vacant the throne. There are less clear cut examples, such as Henry II's successful wars vs Stephen of Blois, as both had power bases in England and France, but Henry did invade with a small force, and was successful enough to succeed Stephen.

"Alexander the Great's army was the first to be able to fight walking backwards". Two Greek guys I know have told me this, based on what I do not know.

"The British Army sacrificed the Australians in WWI" The Australians were part of the British Army, and they sacrificed all their troops.

"The Germans toppled the Western Roman Empire" lol the Germans were defending it mostly.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

"The US attacked the brazilian merchant vessels between 1940 and 1942 and faked it was the germans so Brazil would join the war"

I dont need to explain that one do i?

A just as common one:

"The UK was the main responsible for the start of the Paraguayan war in 1864, forcing Brazil and Argentina to attack Paraguay, as its massive industry was competting in a global scale against the british"

Yep, i've heard that more than i would have liked. (even from history teachers )

Though it obviously all goes down the toilet when you do a little research and realize that in fact was Paraguay who declared war and invaded a totally unprepared and unmobilized Brazil, and then when Argentina declined miltary access through Corrientes, invaded them as well. Oh so much for "Down with british imperialism!!" And it goes without saying that they had a pretty much unexistant industry and its whole economy was based on the export of yerba mate.
    Last edited by Wulfburk; August 11, 2015 at 09:22 PM.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I've got one, the common misconception that Roman soldiers always looked like this:

Another one is the classic "Barbarization" theory that says the Roman army became a bunch of disorderly barbarian mercenaries in the 4th century.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Here's a fun one - that Romans spoke with a British accent.

*Glares at Hollywood, HBO, and CA*
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post

There's a few decent exceptions, Marlon Brando made a brilliant Mark Antony and we had a bit of variety in Gladiator (Spanish Romans with Aussie accents ftw), but yes, that's an established trope.

As a student in the 1980's I fantasised about making a film about Thermopylae and Plataea, using accents to distinguish he types of Greeks, rather in the way Stone did in Alexander with the Makedonians (mostly) having Irish accents and the Epirote sounding like a Russian vampire.

I thought the Athenians should have US accents ("goddamit I want those ships to attack NOW!"), the Ionians French ("we only serve under duress"), the Thebans toffy English accents ("this is matter of realpolitick, the Persians cannot be stopped") and the Spartans Germanic accents ("My eye! The shieldwall does nothing!").

In terms of appropriate modern accents to indicate ancient nationality I would have thought a US accent would play well for a determined Roman newcomer as opposed to English fro the cynical Hellenes they conquered.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post

And related to that, the myth that British people always used RP (AKA a "British accent"). It's quite a recent invention actually, and people in the Middle Ages and even Shakespeare's time sounded very different.

The idea that the samurai were honourable warriors with a code of chivalry. The truth was that while certain samurai did show displays of chivalry and honour, the samurai lords were essentially warlords who had no qualms of using back-handed methods to rid themselves of their rivals and backstabbing was very common.
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Nazis either spoke the King's English or had a terrible German accent.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Nazis either spoke the King's English or had a terrible German accent.
    Or an "American-pretending-to-speak-German" accent similar to that of the thugs in Die Hard - which is why I can't watch that movie (or the first part of X-Men DoFP) with a straight face.
    It's just stupid, easily avoidable (just have them speak English if they're bad at the specific foreign language they're supposed to play native speakers of), and really awkward and immersion-killing, kind of like blackfacing.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    There's a few decent exceptions, Marlon Brando made a brilliant Mark Antony and we had a bit of variety in Gladiator (Spanish Romans with Aussie accents ftw), but yes, that's an established trope.

In terms of appropriate modern accents to indicate ancient nationality I would have thought a US accent would play well for a determined Roman newcomer as opposed to English fro the cynical Hellenes they conquered.
    There was that recent movie The Eagle, wherein the Romans spoke with American accents and the British accents appropriately enough belonged to the Britons.

Anyway, since the myth of the barbarization and degradation of Rome was already touched upon I'll settle for going on about a related and more broadly general myth, namely the idea of "Golden Ages". People who like to romanticize the past (and I have to admit I might count amongst that number) often tend to believe that specific eras in history in a certain place were just objectively better than any preceding or succeeding time period and so refer to it as a golden age. This is usually based on some nationalistic sentiment mixed with the sort of views and armchair general or military history enthusiast would have, which results in these golden ages usually being appellations for more militarily aggressive, expansionist, and belligerent states since until recently historians seem to have usually been nationalistic military history enthusiasts who often make the mistake of assuming that just because a country's borders are larger it's somehow better overall. I think this is the main reason at least for Trajan's rule being labelled the "golden age" of Rome, although at least some historians in the past seemed to ascribe that to his less militaristic successor who nevertheless maintained Rome's borders while not waging so many wars.

The truth is though, at least IMO, that broadly-speaking times is just different, and the idea of golden ages, while often harmless, has a troubling tendency to make people ignore the wrongs and flaws of a subject they seem to care too much about to ignore such things, sometimes with disastrous results. Although I should probably note that all this rambling you skimmed or trudged through is from a weirdo who thinks the only uninteresting bits of history are the ones I don't yet know enough about.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

'The Germans were the bad guys in WW1'

The Germans were no better or worse than any of the other empires involved. They were all s and they were all spoiling for a fight.

'Africa was completely uncivilized and full of zulu type primitive barbarians before Europeans arrived'

Africa had many advanced Kingdoms and societies which were undermined and destabilized by European powers who supported their rivals. Prime example being Portugal and the Kingdom of the Kongo.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...se_War_of_1622

'Native Americans (from north and south America) were always slaughtered by Europeans in any fight because they were so primitive.'

Natives, from the Aztecs to the Sioux Indians lost more men to European diseases than they ever did from European arms.

'The mongols wouldn't have been able to conquer western Europe.'

The mongols conquered everything in their path, they couldnt become over extended by definition, because their Tumans brought all their women, children and live stock with them. They were a mobile people. European castles and forts were no better than what they faced in China or the middle east. Europe got damn lucky is all

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

'The mongols wouldn't have been able to conquer western Europe.'

The mongols conquered everything in their path, they couldnt become over extended by definition, because their Tumans brought all their women, children and live stock with them. They were a mobile people. European castles and forts were no better than what they faced in China or the middle east. Europe got damn lucky is all
    No BS on this one. To have the mobility you talk about they needed 5 -9 horses a man - to far, too long for the logistics too work. For a long stay they needed their sheep = slow. Both the very reasons the Mamluks were able to resist them.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    No BS on this one. To have the mobility you talk about they needed 5 -9 horses a man - to far, too long for the logistics too work. For a long stay they needed their sheep = slow. Both the very reasons the Mamluks were able to resist them.
    I've also heard the argument that the largely forested terrain of Eastern Europe (farther west, deforestation was actually going on) didn't look very enticing to them. This might be another argument to help explain why they got Southern China in the end, but not most of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    But the Mongols had those 5-9 horses per man, and the best logistics in the world at that point.
    Their real obstacle should they have attempted to conquer Europe was the same reason the Mamluks managed to hold them off; succession was dodgy, and the empire was by that point so vast that it couldn't be effectively governed from one location using the methods of communication they had available at the time. By the time the Mamluks had their victory, the Mongols were spending more effort fighting each other and suppressing rebellions then invading foreign powers.

Its not that Europe or the Mamluks were so militarily brilliant they were able to beat off the Mongols, its merely their geography that dictated that the Mongol empire start collapsing under its own weight around the time they got that far west.
    Case in point, Hungary was invaded by the Mongols, handily defeated, and thoroughly plundered before the Horde turned back around to deal with a succession crisis. The Mamluk's famous victory was also result of facing less then 10,000 Mongols, with the rest of them off fighting in a civil war.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast