Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Updated] Making RTW or RTW:Gold work on windows10 - FIX

Default Re: [Updated] Making RTW or RTW:Gold work on windows10 - FIX

With the latest update my disk version doesn't work anymore on 10. Steam does.
    First it says log in with administrator (rights).
    Then I click compability windows 7 + run with administrator rights.
    Then I try to lau,ch again but nothing happens...

All mods dead
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

But you're saying your Steam version works right?
    So I don't really see the problem to be honest..

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzy View Post
    But you're saying your Steam version works right?
    So I don't really see the problem to be honest..
    Can all rtw mods be installed on the steam version without problems?
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

As far as I know they can.
    That is.. As far as I have ever tried to (which isn't a lot of mods, but all the ones I tried, work).

Edit:
    You might want to check the mod's respective forum pages about it though.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Stickied for good measure.

I installed Windows 10 onto my PC this weekend and did some experimenting.
    I found that the Alexander executable runs RomeTW (as well as Alexander) on my RomeTW Gold installation (which is not on Steam) just fine.
    My shortcut for RomeTW looks like this: K:\RomeTW\RomeTW-ALX.exe -mod: -show_err -nm -noalexander

I am not really sure what to do with that information
    It seems you just run your ALX as not being ALX.

I have been struggling to get this to work properly for a few days now, maybe you can help me out.

I had RTW Gold Edition on an old disc and tried to get it to run on Windows 8.1. It initially failed to launch; got it to launch after a bit, but was having terrible FPS issues. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 anyway and so I got a fresh install. I also got the Steam version of the game from a friend. It launched just fine without me having to do anything. However, the FPS issues persist.

I've tried all kinds of solutions, from messing with the Nvidia settings to CPU affinity, but it's still stuck at around 11-12 FPS, both on Campaign Map and in battle. I'm playing on an Asus Rog G551JM, with a GTX680M and the integrated Intel 4600 (read somewhere that the integrated chip is the issue, not sure if there is any kind of solution).

Does anyone have a solid solution? Cheers.

Hey Nirvana,

I am actually surprised you have issues with the game's FPS..
    The PC I currently play RTW on is a little more outdated than what you have and my game is just running fine.. On huge units settings etc..
    So my guess is that this isn't a Windows10-related issue.
    The only FPS issues I have is when I play a 4k vs 4k battle and I crank up the battle speed to x3... x2 is just fine though on those settings.

Of course the first thing that springs to mind is the usual: "Update your drivers" thingy.. but I just hate suggesting that, because it sounds all patronizing and such..
    I usually comfort myself with the thought that everyone knows more about everything than I do.
    Yet I cannot think of any other thing that you might have to try before trying anything else.
    What I know about GPU's (which is totally necligible) is that your GTX680M should be running everything and your integrated 4600 should not be connected to anything at all..
    But that's usually just a matter of connecting your monitor to your GTX680M instead of the onboard chip and the drivers fix themselves..
    (I'm a total hardware m33b)

Is there anything else you can tell me that you think might interfere with your gameplay?

Skizzy

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Honestly, I like to think that I know quite a bit about PCs as well. This whole thing is baffling to me, however. I was running Rome II on max settings, so drivers are up to date (double checked just to be sure).

I did some research and I found 2 trends:

1. Old games are not optimized to run on multi-core CPUs. So you usually set the affinity to a single core and it works out. I've had this issue with some other game and that fixed it. It didn't work this time.
    2. I found some thread about a bug with certain Intel GPUs. Said thread was fairly old and stated that there was no fix; if I can find it I'll link it here tomorrow. I've tried to force the game to use the Nvidia GPU, but even if that didn't work, the integrated one should still be able to run the game just fine.

I think I've tried anything you could reasonably think of, so I'm kind of hoping that someone had the same issue and fixed it with some out of the box thinking. For some reason the FPS is capped at 12, even on campaign map. Going from max settings to minimum makes no difference whatsoever.

Cheers.

Hope you find a solution and post it here though!
    Quite curious to know what the issue was.

Regarding your 1st point, I run my RTW1:Gold (Steam) on an Intel i7 without any issues whatsoever.
    My current GPU is my old Asus GT630-2GD3.

I can confirm that the issue is with my Intel CPU+GPU. And for me and others who have the same issue, there's nothing to be done. Oh well, I'll play some Medieval II to satisfy my nostalgia. That one works just fine.

Cheers.

Well maybe switching to your GTX680M instead of using your integrated Intel 4600 would help?

Hey guys,

I installed the RTW:Gold on my Laptop just some time back. The OS is Windows 10. The laptop uses an Intel Core i3 processor.

See both versions of the Game are loading properly & they do not crash. The battles also function properly & have absolutely no lag, whether it be Historical battle,custom battle or battle on campaign map. Most of the game works just fine & their seems to be no lag of any kind.

BUT... the campaign map lags a little, the mouse moves slowly(like from 1 position to another) & not continuously as it normally does, when I try to move it. Add to that when I try to move around the map with my mouse it is too slow. The charts(mercenaries, city etc) take quite some time to open, the units dont respon immediately to summons when I press them etc.

I've tried to adjust the settings but it doesn't work. let me repeat, the Battle Map Functions JUST FINE...
    --------------------------------
    Curiously this disk wasn't working on WIndows 8.1 when I tried to use it, it just used to crash after loading.

Blog Entries

Lag is usually caused by graphics settings that are too high for the engine to handle. Main culprits are shadows and grass distance.

Hi
    Im running disk version of RTWG on windows 10
    followed all of your steps, had to create a preferences file, because it didn't exist, but otherwise did everything to the letter
    still doesn't run, no flickering of the game, just an admin perms box come up asking whether i want to allow RTW to make changes to the computer
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

I don't want to sound patronizing - but did you give that permission? Afaik without that permission RTW will not run. In M2TW the preferences file (and a few other files and folders) will be created at the first start of the game, not sure in RTW.

Have you tried running it as admin (right click the shortcut and choose that option)?

In RTW the preferences.txt will also be created at the first time you successfully start the game.

Running the game as admin//with admin privileges is a must and is described in step 1 of the original tutorial on page 1 of this thread.

I'm having a slightly different problem.

I'm running the game on my laptop, and it's launches well. The problem is that i cannot force it to use my second graphics card, GeForce 860m. I've set the usage of it in the Nvidia control panel, i'm choosing it by right clicking on .exe or shortcut and choosing the card, but it still runs on integrated one.
    My graphics drivers are on date, i've tried to run the game as admin as well.

It seems that the GeForce runs for a second after launching, but i'm not even sure of that.
    I don't have the problem with any other game, although i haven't played many that old on Win 10.

Thanks for any help.

I don't understand why fullscreen worked fine in Windows 8 but not 10. It really sucks that the game can only be played in windowed mode. I hate the stretched widescreen. The only way to play on my widescreen monitor is to change my desktop resolution before and after playing now.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast