Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?

Default Re: The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So you know how the FDA (or other national equivalent) tests new products that are coming up for sale? Say you invent a new recreational drug. You giver it to a test group over time, and have a control group to compare with. The new product using group an elevated rate of cancer and often suffer from emphysema as well, and people they use it around also experience worse health. About 50% of users will die from using the product, that is, half of addicts are killed by their addiction. Oh yes, its highly addictive, so treatment is complicated by the fact people want to use even as they are dying from it. You think anyone would let that product onto the market?

If tobacco had never been discovered, and Phillip Morris or British American rocked up tomorrow and said "we have a new product we'd like to sell, check it out" it would not be approved for use anywhere outside some third world hellhole. These bastards are peddling drugs to children and poor people.
    I think drugs shouldnt even be banned. Nor their use criminalized. Considering tobacco and Other drugs are legal today in several places over the world... yes, they totaly would go into the market as they are, actualy they do....
    But let me guess you want to ban alcohol too?

There is a lot of things that gives you cancer or worse in tons of foods that we eat everyday as well, (junk,or fast food should be also banned if we folowing that line of tought.) Even the air we breathe...
    These bastards are peddling drugs to children and poor people.
    That is quite a claim... and yeah not realy true, the rich also smoke from my experience.... usualy legal drugs have a better, and more efficient regulation in the market, then the ilegal ones. You see making this stuff legal, is the best way to control them, and regulate them. In my country they made it ilegal to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors (18)...

But we probably are going off topic....
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 10, 2015 at 07:12 PM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Cops and members of militaries can be pretty despicable depending on the country. I'm talking torture, killings etc; you can end up with lots of (literal) blood on your hands, even in some Western countries.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I think drugs shouldnt even be banned. Nor their use criminalized. Considering tobacco and Other drugs are legal today in several places over the world... yes, they totaly would go into the market as they are, actualy they do....
    But let me guess you want to ban alcohol too?
    No there's a safe level of alcohol use, and social controls are more effective than criminalisation with non-addictive or low-addictive drugs. I agree with many recreational drugs that criminalisation is not the answer, although something as highly addictive and personality-changing as ice should remain criminalised.

There is a lot of things that gives you cancer or worse in tons of foods that we eat everyday as well, (junk,or fast food should be also banned if we folowing that line of tought.) Even the air we breathe...
    50% of tobacco smokers die from tobacco use. There is nothing else the legal drug or food market with that rate of mortality.

That is quite a claim... and yeah not realy true, the rich also smoke from my experience...
    http://www.tobaccofreemaine.org/chan..._education.php

Your experience to one side, 2 seconds on Google will set you straight on that one. Poor people are more likely to smoke and more likely to die from it.

... usualy legal drugs have a better, and more efficient regulation in the market, then the ilegal ones. You see making this stuff legal, is the best way to control them, and regulate them. In my country they made it ilegal to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors (18)...
    I agree for non/less addictive drugs education and regulation work, I think the US is finding this with cannabis use. This is not the case for tobacco, where use has been limited only by stringent controls and aggressive health campaigns.

... But we probably are going off topic....
    Nah you raise good points and its worth discussing them. Basically my great-grandfather's and grandfather's generation in my family died from smoking and the health effects are familiar to me.
    Last edited by Cyclops; August 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Tobacco does not add anything positive though, its poison to both the user and also those in their direct enviroment. It's only still legal due to corporate greed from governments who dont mind making money from deadly addictions of their own people.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Cyclops - alcohol is actually really addictive, and very dangerous to its user the people in his/her environment. I think it's about what people are used to.
    If we started to snort tobaco up our noses like cocain, (if it would work that way I have no idea, but anyway), if we did I'm sure that it would become banned. People would find that behaviour disgusting, and too reminding of said cocain - even though ingesting it that way would not effect the environment (would not cause second-hand smoking)
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Tobacco does not add anything positive though, its poison to both the user and also those in their direct enviroment. It's only still legal due to corporate greed from governments who dont mind making money from deadly addictions of their own people.
    My partner is a smoking cessation nurse and she tells me nicotine is a great (short acting) anti-anxiety drug. It works incredibly quickly, so its addictive on a physical and a psychological level. Basically if you light up a smoke it helps you forget your worries for a brief time.

The image of the really cool guy smoking cos' he's epic is a bit false, the cool guy is actually really anxious and is getting a brief respite. This is why 70% of prisoners and maybe the same number of institutionalised mental health patients (although this figure is less clear) smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    Cyclops - alcohol is actually really addictive, and very dangerous to its user the people in his/her environment. I think it's about what people are used to.
    Yes alcohol can be addictive but there's a far smaller proportion of people who find it addictive, and while it is associated with some violence and road deaths given the rate of use its a far safer drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    If we started to snort tobaco up our noses like cocain, (if it would work that way I have no idea, but anyway), if we did I'm sure that it would become banned. People would find that behaviour disgusting, and too reminding of said cocain - even though ingesting it that way would not effect the environment (would not cause second-hand smoking)
    People do use snuff, it causes a high rate of mouth and nose cancer, although as you say its less harmful to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Cops and members of militaries can be pretty despicable depending on the country. I'm talking torture, killings etc; you can end up with lots of (literal) blood on your hands, even in some Western countries.
    I'm guessing you lose every total war game you've ever played then.

I also take it you've never been in a kill or be killed scenario. i should referance that bull white privelage post floatinf around here so yoy can check your privelage.

If you've ever bought a total war game you are paying money to war profiteering. I don't expect this point to come across though.

There are better ways to forget about your worries than through smoking. It just creates an unhealthy pattern where people think they need that smoke to relax and cant relax anymore without it when faced with a stressfull situation.

Everyone will encounter stressfull situations in their life, and people who dont smoke get over them deal with them as well. Just need to find something to distract yourself with. Taking a walk, practicing a sport, playing a videogame, playing with your kids, watching a movie.. there is something that works for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkor Deathborne View Post
    I'm guessing you lose every total war game you've ever played then.

I also take it you've never been in a kill or be killed scenario. i should referance that bull white privelage post floatinf around here so yoy can check your privelage.

If you've ever bought a total war game you are paying money to war profiteering. I don't expect this point to come across though.
    This is totally mental; I am not "paying money to war profiteering" by purchasing a video-game. My point still stands, of course.

There are better ways to forget about your worries than through smoking. It just creates an unhealthy pattern where people think they need that smoke to relax and cant relax anymore without it when faced with a stressfull situation.

Everyone will encounter stressfull situations in their life, and people who dont smoke get over them deal with them as well. Just need to find something to distract yourself with. Taking a walk, practicing a sport, playing a videogame, playing with your kids, watching a movie.. there is something that works for everyone.
    Smoking is easier than most of these things albeit usually more expensive.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    When I did my work experience the woman directing it was a former telemarketer; she talked of the job as "soul-crushing", strangers telling you to go away and hanging up etc. To this day I have a hard time hanging up on them, and when I finally do it's amid a flurry of heartfelt apologies.
    yeah i did telemarkting in the past.... and its like you just said. Awfull, i hate it so much, and its probably the most depressive job i found. And the pay is horrible here ( it was 1 euro an hour or something). There is no doubt in my mind that its right on despicable exploitation ... a cleaning lady earns a lot more for instance(five to 10 times more)
    I worked in that business for 2 years many moons ago. I can't relate to people finding that work despicable. I've heard stories and so forth, but to me it was an awesome job back then. Yeah, it's monotonous, but learning the ability to convey a difficult or controversial concept in a digestible manner is always a useful skill to carry into other fields. You know what I mean: 100s of calls a day, tons of rejections and I think a good amount of resistance shapes a person with a bit of character. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, that is a good thing.

​~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    I worked in that business for 2 years many moons ago. I can't relate to people finding that work despicable. I've heard stories and so forth, but to me it was an awesome job back then. Yeah, it's monotonous, but learning the ability to convey a difficult or controversial concept in a digestible manner is always a useful skill to carry into other fields. You know what I mean: 100s of calls a day, tons of rejections and I think a good amount of resistance shapes a person with a bit of character. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, that is a good thing.

​~Wille
    Thats how I view my time doing door to door sales. Its certainly not for everyone and I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it for any longer than the 6 months I did, bit it was very good experience and has helped me get other (much better) jobs since.

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Government employee.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Any job that isn't some kind of artist. Also artists who work for advertising companies. When I become the dictator of The Holy United Empire of Terra they will be the first ones fed to my shark/lion hybrids.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Executives of big companies are also pretty despicable in general.

You know, the kind who award themselves big bonuses they did not earn, buy up and destroy smaller but far more likeable businesses, and can only see things in terms of money.. how much it will earn them or what it will cost them.
    The kind of people that ensure we can't have nice things pretty much.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Executives of big companies are also pretty despicable in general.

You know, the kind who award themselves big bonuses they did not earn, buy up and destroy smaller but far more likeable businesses, and can only see things in terms of money.. how much it will earn them or what it will cost them.
    The kind of people that ensure we can't have nice things pretty much.
    Not to mention laying off many employees just before the quarterly report so profits look good and the executives receive huge bonuses. Then they use taxpayer-funded bailout money for said bonuses.

Or they hire a bunch of South Asian coolies through temp agencies in order to circumvent the H1B visa cap. That way they can avoid paying experienced employees and, to add insult to injury, they instruct their workers to train up the new Bangladeshi indentured servants before getting laid off. Then profits look higher in the next quarterly report and the swine get a new corporate jet.

If someone wants to make money and they're good at it, bully for them. What makes these characters beyond despicable is they intentionally ruin their employees' lives for the sake of becoming slightly richer despite having enough money for several lifetimes.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

Praeses

None of the things you mention work as fast as blazing up a cancer stick. Its amazingly fast, less than 15 seconds. Tobacco works for almost everyone, its amazing stuff, as well as lethal. Its also culturally entrenched (although propaganda is changing that) and has brilliant marketing on its side.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Nobody has mentioned executioners yet? What the ?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Eh, Executioners aren't so bad. Putting someone in jail for their entire life seems a worse sentence and exept for very rare exeptions where a mistake is made, people getting the death sentence deserve it.
    I'd wish we had the death penalty over here as well considering how child molesters, rapists, murderers and such tend to be back on the street within months around here.

Even a succesfull political assasination just meant 10 years or such.. recently the guy who killed Pim Fortuyn was released.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Government employee.
    So you don't want wife to be improving the quality/variety of your beer?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.