Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?

I figured this might make for an interesting discussion.

It can be baffling after all what kind of work people are actually legally allowed and encouraged to perform in society after all.

To start things off, I'd say papparazi journalists are the worst. Their entire job seems to be to feast on others their misery, stealing, trespassing, stalking and chasing after people who just want to be left alone.
    To me this is the lowest someone can go to make a living in a legal way.

Default Re: The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?

That dubious honor is reserved for telemarketers, papparazi, door to door salesmen (thankfully near extinct) and evangelists (unfortunately not at all extinct).
    I'd also add senders of spam mail, but at least where I live, they made that illegal. They're having a hard time enforcing the ban, though.

They're all not despicable per say, but their professions are just so petty and bothersome that I can't help but feel more animosity to them then to some of the people who engage in some of the lighter illegal stuff.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Many personal injury lawyers. Now their is a need and a place for this sort of thing, but the court system doesn't have great checks in the US to prevent frivolous law suits.

So for every guy protecting someones real rights and suffering, there seem to be ten of these types...

Etc, etc, etc.

They donate heavily and almost exclusively to Democrats in the US congress, so its going to take a Republican supermajority to ever see that fixed.

http://influenceexplorer.com/organiz...ionsDescriptor
    Last edited by Phier; August 09, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

That certainly does seem to be a thing the US is known for yes, though here in the Netherlands we dont have that going on much, its just standard procedure here that burglars, child molesters, rapists, thieves, etc are given more consideration than their victims.

It's an odd thing that every country seems to have in common: A terrible government that never should have been in power yet somehow is. The means they get in power differs, but somehow there's always people in charge who cant really relate with their own people and just live in their own little world.

Praeses

Most lawyers are ****'s. My father was a lawyer with a reputation for being honest. Imagine that, being honest actually got him a reputation.

However my vote goes to Tobacco production and sales. "Here's our product. Use it as we suggest and it will knock years off your life and make what reduced time you have left unbearable. Also poison your kids at the same time! Did we mention its addictive?"
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Vulture capital hedge fund manager - should just be - I to be want to a wealthy parasite. I mean really they don't work - If you are wealthy you odds playing Vegas. Just a wart on honest investment.
    Last edited by conon394; August 12, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Paparazzi certainly are annoying but I really don't think they are scum, since I can't feel sympathy for rich people being slightly annoyed by a camera, also many low tier/mid tier celebrities purposefully encourage candids.

I guess I can't stomach any kind of salesman that pesters you at the door or via telephone, such thins should really be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Most lawyers are ****'s. My father was a lawyer with a reputation for being honest. Imagine that, being honest actually got him a reputation.

However my vote goes to Tobacco production and sales. "Here's our product. Use it as we suggest and it will knock years off your life and make what reduced time you have left unbearable. Also poison your kids at the same time! Did we mention its addictive?"
    That's a good one. Is it too late to change mine?
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Yeah I am not sure why tobacco has not been outlawed yet. Probably for the same reason the NRA is still in business.. those who produce tobacco and guns have too much power.

As for paparazzi.. when someone does become wealthy or famous it does not mean they'd cease to be human. Personly I couldnt care less about any gossip and in this day and age its easy enough for anyone to share with their fans what they feel like sharing. Cant do much about it if you are the child of a celeberty either. Sure there are famous douchebags just as well who revel in just being famous, but for quite a few the fame is a byproduct, and I dont feel that just because someone is well known that they shouldnt be entitled to some privacy.

Personly I couldnt care less about what those people do in their private lives, and those gossip magazines make a big deal out of everything and seem to just create that atmosphere and that need for gullible people with nothing better in their lives to focus on this.

I'd say they deserve every punch thrown at them.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

As a former door to door sales man, I feel I better speak up here

They really are not bad people, just desperate! I did it for 6 months and it was awful, I'll never do it ever again, but it was really good experience and it has undoubtedly helped me get numerous other, far better, jobs, because it can be an impressive thing to have on your C.V.

People tend to become door to door sales people as a part time job or because there is simply nothing else available for them at the time. We had to deal with a SERIOUS amount of rejection. I worked for a company that sold Vodaphone broadband packages and we got paid €30 per sale, but €50 per sale if we got 10 sales per week, which is a massive difference (more on that in a bit), we had no standard wage, so no sales, no money. On average you would go to 100 houses, talk to 60 people and expect between 2-3 sales per day. It was all about luck and persistence and bothering a lot of people. That said I was good at it and I made over €700 euro in a week on more than one occasion.

There are a lot of expenses though. You often travel out from a town or city (some times spending up to 3 hours in a car) and you have to pay for your own food and fuel costs as well as any other expenses out of your own pocket. So not only do you stand the chance of not making any money if you don't get sales, you could also lose money too, so thats why so many door to door sales people come across as so highly strung and under pressure.

That said, I did it for 6 months so I managed to actually help a lot of people save a fair bit of money (I saved one old lady literally thousands as she was getting completely screwed over by her phone/broadband provider as they put her on a package that didn't suite her at all). Most people were fine and I had no problem with people telling me they were not interest after I gave my pitch, but there were some people I came across who were absolute bastards. But I also came across some of the nicest people I've ever met, so it's a job with lots of ups and downs.

My point is, the average door to door salesman is not a bad guy, but his or her manager usually is though. They put you under relentless pressure to get sales, basically telling you that you will be fired if you don't get sales. They refuse to acknowledge that its all about luck and hammer home the mentality of trying to pester people until they sign up, as opposed to just finding the people who actually want what you have to offer (who do exist I assure you). Any door to door sales company is always a pyramid scheme, with the managers making a cut off every sale you make.

I found out months after I quit that the whole 'you only get €50 per sale if you get 10 sales' thing was complete lies. Vodaphone was always paying us €50 per sale, but our managers got paid more money if we got 10 sales or more each, so if we didn't get the 10 sales, the managers would compensate by only paying us €30 per sale and pocketing the rest for themselves. Finding out you should have been paid €450 for a weeks work instead of €270 is a real kick in the teeth.

As for door to door sales being on the verge of extinction, that couldn't be further from the truth. All the major charity companies like Amnesty international etc employ direct sales companies to get people to do door to door collections etc and are making a tidy profit from it. These companies revel in an economic downturn, because people who would normally never do such a job have no choice, so they have no shortage of potential employees to squeeze the most out of before they burn out and quit.

So in summary, its the MANAGERS of door to door salesmen who are the bad guys, not the actual salesmen
    Last edited by IrishBlood; August 10, 2015 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    As for paparazzi.. when someone does become wealthy or famous it does not mean they'd cease to be human. Personly I couldnt care less about any gossip and in this day and age its easy enough for anyone to share with their fans what they feel like sharing. Cant do much about it if you are the child of a celeberty either. Sure there are famous douchebags just as well who revel in just being famous, but for quite a few the fame is a byproduct, and I dont feel that just because someone is well known that they shouldnt be entitled to some privacy.

Personly I couldnt care less about what those people do in their private lives, and those gossip magazines make a big deal out of everything and seem to just create that atmosphere and that need for gullible people with nothing better in their lives to focus on this.

I'd say they deserve every punch thrown at them.
    Having millions of dollars and powerful friends easily outweighs the pest of paparazzi, I know I would rather deal with them than have 90% of other jobs.
    Besides there a hundreds of millions of people out there that DO care what heels Kim Kardashian was wearing or who's Leonardo Di Caprios new girlfriend, it's because of these people that the paparazzi go to such great lengths.

Just look at the instagram culture for god's sake, can somebody really be more pathetic than those people that actually look and comment what some celebrity ate for breakfast or did with their dog?

@IrishBlood
    I'll remember your post next time the salesman comes to my door, instead of shooting him I'll just ask for the names of the ones above

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Having millions of dollars and powerful friends easily outweighs the pest of paparazzi, I know I would rather deal with them than have 90% of other jobs.
    Besides there a hundreds of millions of people out there that DO care what heels Kim Kardashian was wearing or who's Leonardo Di Caprios new girlfriend, it's because of these people that the paparazzi go to such great lengths.

Just look at the instagram culture for god's sake, can somebody really be more pathetic than those people that actually look and comment what some celebrity ate for breakfast or did with their dog?

@IrishBlood
    I'll remember your post next time the salesman comes to my door, instead of shooting him I'll just ask for the names of the ones above
    What is this instagram you speak of ?
    I`m serious.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    @IrishBlood
    That's all I ask

It's an odd thing that every country seems to have in common: A terrible government that never should have been in power yet somehow is. The means they get in power differs, but somehow there's always people in charge who cant really relate with their own people and just live in their own little world.
    Given enough time, the parasites and opportunists always find ways in. You clean them out, its good for a while, and they show up again.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

The most despicable line of work that is actually legal?
    Being a member of Nickleback or Creed.

Yeah I am not sure why tobacco has not been outlawed yet. Probably for the same reason the NRA is still in business.. those who produce tobacco and guns have too much power.
    why should tobacco be banned? that is ridiculous.

As a former door to door sales man, I feel I better speak up here

They really are not bad people, just desperate! I did it for 6 months and it was awful....
    yeah i did telemarkting in the past.... and its like you just said. Awfull, i hate it so much, and its probably the most depressive job i found. And the pay is horrible here ( it was 1 euro an hour or something). There is no doubt in my mind that its right on despicable exploitation ... a cleaning lady earns a lot more for instance(five to 10 times more)
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 10, 2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    why should tobacco be banned? that is ridiculous.

yeah i did telemarkting in the past.... and its like you just said. Awfull, i hate it so much, and its probably the most depressive job i found. And the pay is horrible here ( it was 1 euro an hour or something). There is no doubt in my mind that its right on despicable exploitation ... a cleaning lady earns a lot more for instance(five to 10 times more)
    a euro an hour!?!? Jesus, at least I had the chance to make decent money some of the time!

When I did my work experience the woman directing it was a former telemarketer; she talked of the job as "soul-crushing", strangers telling you to go away and hanging up etc. To this day I have a hard time hanging up on them, and when I finally do it's amid a flurry of heartfelt apologies.
    Last edited by Napoleonic Bonapartism; August 10, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    When I did my work experience the woman directing it was a former telemarketer; she talked of the job as "soul-crushing", strangers telling you to go away and hanging up etc. To this day I have a hard time hanging up on them, and when I finally do it's amid a flurry of heartfelt apologies.
    Yeah completely, and then there is the notion that you are selling crap products as well. Some stuff, are actualy ripp off. Or rather it is not clear to what full extend the client is allowed to certain service in a package you selling. But you need to say it as it is in the script anyway, in order to sell the product.

a euro an hour!?!? Jesus, at least I had the chance to make decent money some of the time!
    Well it was part time, ( some people it was the second, or third job) but stilll, yeah... This was a few years back in Portugal. I knew some people that went to ireland (Dublin), and worked in telemarkting there, and actualy made some decent money. But here, its just a disgrace most of the time. and i recon things might not have improved since then. With all the crisis, and high unemployment etc.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    why should tobacco be banned? that is ridiculous. ...
    So you know how the FDA (or other national equivalent) tests new products that are coming up for sale? Say you invent a new recreational drug. You giver it to a test group over time, and have a control group to compare with. The new product using group an elevated rate of cancer and often suffer from emphysema as well, and people they use it around also experience worse health. About 50% of users will die from using the product, that is, half of addicts are killed by their addiction. Oh yes, its highly addictive, so treatment is complicated by the fact people want to use even as they are dying from it. You think anyone would let that product onto the market?

If tobacco had never been discovered, and Phillip Morris or British American rocked up tomorrow and said "we have a new product we'd like to sell, check it out" it would not be approved for use anywhere outside some third world hellhole. These bastards are peddling drugs to children and poor people.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast