Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football League 2015/16 (kicks off 8/8/15)

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Fantasy Football League 2015/16 (kicks off 8/8/15)

OK, well we can wait no longer so I have created the league, I have only made a classic so far, if anyone wants head-to-head not sure about them.

Anyway, here you go, code is 2168174-485893 (I'll remove this in a few weeks). Leagues is TWC Premier.

If anyone wants to add more details here let me know what is missing, oh and if Charlatan revives the old one, we can drop this, but as he is absent better a new one than none at all.

As before, please pm me your team name and your username and I'll add them here. If you want to add an updated guide anyone (Adar?) feel free. To kick off (pun intended):

Ybbon - Glory Gooners
    Ishoss - Yold School
    MurfMurf - Insert Joe Kinnear
    Omnipotent Q - Q's Vikings
    Edse - Aland FK
    HammeredAlways - COYI
    Adar - Gripen FC
    Soren - Soren FC
    Spanish_Emperor - Mansteheim FC
    Tim1988 - Flying Eagles
    Chilon - Hugo Hillmen
    Petrucci - Chelski
    Gallus - No Fuchs Given
    Classical_Hero - Perth United
    Last edited by Ybbon; September 16, 2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: adding new teams in

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Fantasy Football League 2015/16 (kicks off 8/8/15)

Perfect, I was just about to ask you as the senior member to host it as Charlatan seem to have left permanently.

The old guide with some updates:

Quote Originally Posted by Adar
    The Adar guide to team selection

Philosophy
    Fantasy premier league is about earning points, not creating the best team in the league. This mean that deep lying midfielders like Luka Modric or defensive centerbacks like Coloccini are far less interesting prospects than in real life. It also means that it rarely is a good idea to recruit the maximum amount of players from your favorite team (Newcastle or Swansea were notable exceptions to this last year).

Instead it is all about looking for value in the form of points per cost this mean that a 4.5 M£ player earning 3 pts per game is a bargain while a 7 M£ is a disaster. When I make my team I strive to have 8-9 really high scoring players while the remaining 5-6 players are solid starters in weaker teams. This way I can have 8-9 assured starters and then rotate the last positions between players with favorable fixtures.

Team selection
    I always start out by filling my team with "bargain players" and two "captains". The captain scores double points so it is necessary to have two or three reliable high scorers in the team. Then I try to load up on bargain players which tend to be the stars of minor teams. Mark Noble, Danny Guthrie and Steven Taylor are good examples of this category of players which provide room for maximising your number of heavy hitters while still earning a solid points each game.

This mean that you should have a lot of budget room to recruit the true heavy hitters that will earn you the majority of points throughout the season. Personally I find it very hard to find good star backs so my back line tend to be weak to maximise value in the front areas.

Player types to look for

Goal keepers
    There are essentially two ways to set up the goalkeeper position. High/low or low/low, high priced goalkeepers like De Gea or Hart usually score well and end up at the top of the scoring but they are also more expensive to buy. In previous seasons it have therefore been a good investment to buy two cheap (4.5M£) goalkeepers who can rotate instead. This year the low/low strategy has become harder to pull off as all solid starters are costed at least 4.5M£ and good defensive teams got their goalkeepers at 5M£. Getting two decent goalkeepers is therefore likely to cost you 9.5-10M£. I would however not recommend a star keeper and a non-starter combination as that 0.5 M£ very well force you into emergency trades if a goalkeeper suffer a short term injury or rotation due to champions league. This season the BPS system have also changed to benefit goalkeepers who make a lot of saves which will benefit teams who concede a lot of shots but got a good shot stopping goalkeeper (which is usually the weaker teams).

Defenders
    There are essentially three kinds of defenders worth buying.

Weakest link players: The worst defenders are also the ones priced the lowest. Getting clean sheets is a team effort so paying premium for the best defender in the team is not worth much unless the player also is good at scoring, passing or getting bonus points. Just make sure that you make these buys in settled squads and keep an eye out for any break outs where new players are given the chance.

Attacking defenders: Some players are better than other at scoring offensive points. Out of position defenders are worth their weight in gold as they score 6 pts per goal and also tend to get very high EPI scores. But strong attacking players such as Leighton Baines, Branislav Ivanovic and John Terry can also make worth of their premium valuations thanks to their scoring ability.

Solid defenders: Some teams rotate their defenders more than other. Trading players can be costly so saving 0.5 M£ is not always the bargain it seems.This year the bonus for good passing has been reduced while successful tackling and blocks receive higher rewards for the BPS which is good to know.

Midfielders
    Selecting midfielders is a rather straightforward affair as a defensive player or deep lying midfielder almost never score enough points. Leon Britton who had a huge season for Swansea and played every game for the team only scored a measly 81 pts last season. So when looking at rotating midfielders it is a good idea to look at the most offensive 4.5M£ midfielders you can find.

The midfield section is also the category of players most likely to create huge bargains where 5.0-6.0 M£ turn into top scorers (like Jordan Henderson last year).

Forwards
    Are always a bit of a headache for me as the game managers tend to put a high price on any quality attacker. Therefore I tend to put my two expensive "captain choices" in the forwards category (Giroud and Aguero last year) and then a third quality striker to support them. Last year Harry Kane had a huge breakout season so the third quality strike ended up surprisingly cheap.

Team management
    Overmanaging the team is one of the biggest threats to a coach. Knee jerk reactions to band wagons tend to cost a lot of points (selling price only increase by 0.1 pts for every 0.2 pts the buyer price increase since you bought him) so a well thought out team should not be changed too quickly. My favorite tactic on deciding to sell a "cold" player and buy a "hot" is to look at the EPI index. A player who have a 3 game points drought but retain a high EPI score is likely to hit his form again while a drop in the EPI score tend to correspond to new team tactics or poor player form.

Saving the wild card for April is also often a good idea as rescheduled fixtures and injuries can disrupt even the most solid team. This year they have also introduced three "chips" that we can play during the season, you can read more here.

Ishoss - Yold School

I heard on a podcast we have two wildcards to play this year. One before January and one after. True?
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

spy of the council

That was true last season too so I would assume so. Mine were played very badly.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I'm in. Will spam some of the people from last year by PM now so they know to join

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

In like Flynn

Let's see if I can improve on last year's dismal performance.

Team is "Insert Joe Kinnear"!

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

edse's Avatar Domesticus

I have joined with my team Aland FK

There seems to be some new functions: All out attack, tripple captain and bench boost.
    Last edited by edse; August 07, 2015 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks for invitation OmniQ. I would like to join ,but right now I don't have time for registration and stuff. So would it be ok if I join after first week matches?

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

I'm in, hoping for glory likely a season of mid table obscurity..........God I sound like Spud or a Geordie
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Quote Originally Posted by ♔hammeredalways♔ View Post
    I'm in, hoping for glory likely a season of mid table obscurity..........God I sound like Spud or a Geordie
    Oi!

spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Thanks for invitation OmniQ. I would like to join ,but right now I don't have time for registration and stuff. So would it be ok if I join after first week matches?
    I think you can, pretty sure someone joined midway through last year and I certainly had no intention of closing it to new players unless the league rules state that I have to.

Civitate

Edse is Aland FK. I am Gripen FC.

Also regarding Petrucci, there is nothing preventing you from joining late. The downside is that you will miss out on a lot of points as you won't score in your first game weeks. So it might be a good idea to read up on this list of players and make a selection: http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.u...-gameweek-1-3/
    Last edited by Adar; August 07, 2015 at 06:00 PM.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I stopped paying attention halfway through the last season, but hoping to stick this one out. Signed up as Soren FC.

I haven't played PL fantasy since 2008! Nevertheless, I'll join you guys this time although it is much more time consuming than the Champions League. Since the first gameweek has already started i will have to commence a week late but don't overlook me, I plan on kicking butt later on the season. My team name is Mansteheim FC.

I was contemplating if I should have Robert Huth or Mahrez from Leicester. Guess which one I picked
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I had him on my bench, and he got as many points as the rest of my team. Lowest scoring week ever.

Anybody know a good place to watch extended highlights of matches?

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

As is standard, my first fantasy football week has been a disaster. Reliant on a Sergio Aguero hat-trick at the moment

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Think everyone's had a pretty bad week. Top score in the world used his "bench boost" card.

When I was deciding my team had Pelle, Mahrez and Wijnaldum in a draft. All dropped. Bugger!

Civitate

I would also love to watch extended highlights.

Regarding the gameweek I thought that I had a terrible gameweek... Which is kind of true, except that everyone else had an even crappier gameweek. I've grown to hate GW1 simply due to the fact that it almost look like a new game everytime the season starts. Doesn't matter if Walcott did very well as a top forward, if Cech is an excellent goalkeeper or if Leicester is in complete chaos due to racist gangbanging. It's really a narrow line between knee jerking and adjustment so right now I try to keep ice in my stomach and not panic about certain decisions.

But damn Manchester City look good...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast