Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Issues with Rome Total War and Roma Surrectum - Possible Solutions

Default Windows 10 Issues with Rome Total War and Roma Surrectum - Possible Solutions

Hello,
    As an avid Rome total war player more precisely Roma Surrectum player I need Roma Surrectum to work properly with Rome Total war on Windows 10. My issues stem from the fact that I have the CD version of the game that dates back to 2004 when the game was released. It is my understanding that a lot of people have this version still.

So far I have not been able to get the game to work with windows 10. I have tried all the solutions offered but none worked. At a certain point I checked my computers event logs and noticed so odd errors whenever I would load up Rome Total War.

Logs:

Event ID 7000
    The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
    This driver has been blocked from loading

Event ID 1060
    The description for Event ID 1060 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    \??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWow64\drivers\SECDRV.SYS
    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event ID 7000
    The SecDrv service failed to start due to the following error:
    This driver has been blocked from loading

If you look up this Secdrv.sys driver you will learn that it is present in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 but not Windows 10. This file with another .DLL is responsible for copy protection on these CD's.
    It's the fact that Windows 10 doesn't come with SECDRV.SYS driver, and the one that comes with the game is a 32-bit driver that isn't signed and won't work. This driver is part of the copy protection mechanism on games.

The driver, secdrv.sys, is used by games which use Macrovision SafeDisc. Without the driver, games with SafeDisc protection would be unable to play on Windows, so this just not just apply to Rome Total War but a lot of other games.

So as of now anyone who wants to use the CD version from 2004 will be unable to.

Steam versions is another story.

If you have the steam version of Rome Total War you can still play it because it is a digital version and it does not check any disc copy protection. But you may still have some issues.

Here are some solutions.

Problem 1: Game does not load up at all.
    Solution: The preferences folder in the main Rome Total War directory is not present. Go ahead and right click and create a folder called "preferences". Then create a text file called "preferences"
    Copy and paste the following text into it.
    I put into the file "AA_Quality: AA_OFF so that you will not get the error "Cannot detect directx9"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    SAFE_REFRESH:TRUE USE_TRIPLE_BUFFER:TRUE USE_WIDESCREEN:FALSE SUBTITLES:FALSE MORALE:TRUE FATIGUE:TRUE LIMITED_AMMO:TRUE SUPPLY:TRUE FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE RESTRICT_CAMERA:TRUE DEFAULT_BATTLE_CAMERA:RTS EVENT_CUTSCENES:TRUE SMOKE:TRUE DESYNC:TRUE SPLASHES:TRUE GLINTS:FALSE REFLECTIONS:FALSE SHADOWS:TRUE VEGETATION:TRUE DETAILED_UNIT_SHADOWS:TRUE GLOSS_MAPPING:TRUE STENCIL_SHADOWS:TRUE MULTI_TEXTURE:TRUE AUTO_SAVE:TRUE SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT:TRUE UNIT_SIZE:80 MASTER_VOL:100 SPEECH_VOL:100 SFX_VOL:100 MUSIC_VOL:70 CAMERA_ROTATE:50 CAMERA_MOVE:50 CAMERA_FOV:75.000000 ENABLE_AUDIO:TRUE ENABLE_MUSIC:TRUE ENABLE_UNIT_SPEECH:TRUE DISABLE_BACKGROUND_FMV:FALSE DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE AUDIO_3D_PROVIDER:Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio CLOUD_TRANSITIONS:TRUE GRASS_DISTANCE:50 AA_QUALITY:AA_OFF STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1024x768 STRATEGY_MAX_RESOLUTION:2048x1536 STRATEGY_32_BIT:TRUE BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1024x768 BATTLE_MAX_RESOLUTION:2048x1536 BATTLE_32_BIT:TRUE UNIT_DETAIL:HIGH BUILDING_DETAIL:HIGH TGA_CAPTURE_WIDTH:1024 TGA_CAPTURE_ASPECT:1.333333 TGA_CAPTURE_INPUT_SCALE:1 TGA_CAPTURE_RESERVE_SPACE:FALSE LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE LABEL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE MINIMAL_UI:FALSE CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MIN_ZOOM:30 CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MAX_ZOOM:30 FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE ADVISOR_VERBOSITY:3 MUTE_ADVISOR:FALSE BLIND_ADVISOR:FALSE CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:FOLLOW_AI_FACTIONS CAMPAIGN_MAP_SPEED_UP:FALSE CAMPAIGN_MAP_GAME_SPEED:15 DISABLE_EVENTS:0 MICROMANAGE_ALL_SETTLEMENTS:FALSE ADVANCED_STATS_ALWAYS:FALSE UNIT_USE_SHADERS:TRUE TERRAIN_QUALITY:HIGH EFFECT_QUALITY:HIGH VEGETATION_QUALITY:HIGH KEYSET:0 UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA_SMOOTHING:TRUE CHAT_MSG_DURATION:10 USE_QUICKCHAT:FALSE GS_PIDS:FALSE GS_PIDS_FULL:FALSE GS_PIDS_CUR:TRUE ALWAYS_LOGFILE:FALSE TIMESTAMP_LOGFILE:TRUE 32BIT_UI:FALSE GS_LOG_RESULTS:FALSE CHAT_COLOURS:name=ffffa0,private=ff7707,game=94aadc,public=fff777,system=ffffff,lobby=fff777,setup=94aadc,playing=ff0707 EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES:FALSE

Problem 2: Running in compatibility mode.
    Solution: From what I can tell the best mode to run is in Windows XP Service pack 2

Problem 3: Nothing works, I cannot load up Rome Total War or Roma Surrectum
    Solution: Do not update to Windows 10 and stay on either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
    I took a second computer and installed Windows 8.1 on it as a alternative.

This thread will expand and hopefully provide all solutions to playing RTW and Roma Surrectum on Windows 10.
    I will like to thank "MasterOfNone" for his advice

Possible Solution
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?697164-Possible-fix-to-win10-issues-with-secdrv-sys

Update 2:
    Looks like Microsoft is removing SecuROM and SafeDisc support from Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

I am working on some solutions

Uninstalling Windows update KB3086255 seems to fix the issue.
    In addition disabling some services works as well.
    Will post some steps once I fully test

Great... .

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=469123565

Thank You
    Last edited by dvk901; April 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Windows 10 Issues with Rome Total War and Roma Surrectum - Possible Solutions

C.A. has what they call a work around, but for me it doesn't work. maybe we can hope for a real patch from CA and RTW. the game installs ok just will not run.
    I am having the same problems as you my old friend. I will stick with my 2nd system and win 7
    Last edited by HMonk; August 06, 2015 at 11:30 AM.
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

Default Re: Windows 10 Issues with Rome Total War and Roma Surrectum - Possible Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
    C.A. has what they call a work around, but for me it doesn't work. maybe we can hope for a real patch from CA and RTW. the game installs ok just will not run.
    I am having the same problems as you my old friend. I will stick with my 2nd system and win 7
    yes buddy you got it.
    I have my second work station next to my main one and I have windows 8.1 installed on to it and enjoying Roma Surrectum 2.6 to its fullest.
    Most painless way to enjoy it.
    Hopefully Microsoft resolves this or C.A. since it is there game.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

We will have to wait for the fix when or if it comes. ..back to enjoying RS 2.6 on win 7

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

C.A. has what they call a work around, but for me it doesn't work.
    Can you tell me what this workaround is, or where I can find it?

With regards to Secdrv.sys, it seems you've hit the nail on the head, Century X. It's outlined as a major problem at the link below (if you haven't seen this already):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...61d40d4?auth=1

Secdrv.sys is almost certainly why disc-versions of Rome1 and Med2 won't run on Windows 10.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

At the Total War web site in the forums easily found.
    Last edited by HMonk; August 08, 2015 at 01:56 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Geez...if it isn't CA or Steam trying to kill RS2....it's Microsoft!! Hopefully they will fix this soon with a patch.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Geez...if it isn't CA or Steam trying to kill RS2....it's Microsoft!! Hopefully they will fix this soon with a patch.
    I hope so.
    But none of us should hold our breathes on that.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Microsoft could fix this problem but it will take a lot of users to complain about it. I have been on the insiders program for months now testing win 10 and I've sent them feed back about this issue . But it will take a boat load of people to make any difference, they don't care about older games working on win 10.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

they don't care about older games working on win 10.
    It's probably a ploy in order to force people to buy newer games.

dalapto's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    It's probably a ploy in order to force people to buy newer games.
    That, and supporting old games has little profit in it.

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by dalapto View Post
    That, and supporting old games has little profit in it.
    Very true.

Foederatus

ok i did a fresh install of windows 10 (wiped hdd) installed steam then rome total war + bi + alx from steam and my games and there mods work without issues the cd version with nocd cracks also works
    Last edited by minidude2014; August 11, 2015 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minidude2014 View Post
    ok i did a fresh install of windows 10 (wiped hdd) installed steam then rome total war + bi + alx from steam and my games and there mods work without issues the cd version with nocd cracks also works
    Yes, the noCD cracks will work but officially I cannot support that on the forum.

I can play Roma Surrectum 2 with Windows 10 writing "-ne" in the launch options

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Click save and launch the game. It's obviusly the CD version of the game.

I don't know why but I have to do it every time I launch the game.
    Last edited by IamOdysseus; August 15, 2015 at 06:40 AM.

There has to be a very specific set of circumstances that make it work.
    Need to dig deeper into the windows 10 code base to find it.

So to be clear: I cannot play Rome: Total War if I have it from a disk no matter what I do. Is that right?

I just want to be able to play my all-time favorite game again... T_T

Quote Originally Posted by k_raz View Post
    So to be clear: I cannot play Rome: Total War if I have it from a disk no matter what I do. Is that right?

I just want to be able to play my all-time favorite game again... T_T
    From what I can tell the average user and computer. if you have the disc version then NO you cannot play it.

Here you all go.
    Official Response from Microsoft.
    To sum up the article. The old school DRM that was present in the games of old like Rome total War can introduce loop holes into the computer and make it easier for hacks to happen. Looks like we are screwed

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/17/w...-old-game-drm/

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

That figures...guess I will keep one of my computers with win 7 or 8.1 and not upgrade it to win 10. already use win 10 on my other systems, that's good enough.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast