Thread: Legatus traits

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Default Legatus traits

Hello,

I have noticed that some of my general have legatus traits. One of them even has two for two different legions.

Can someone please explain in depth how they work and effect the gameplay.
    For instance I have a governor with legatus trait (Legio II) in Hispania, while Legio II is in Sicily commanded by another general.
    What happens when this governor dies ... who will gain the Legio II legatus trait. I also noticed that Governors have Legatus trait of legions that dont event exist (yet).

Thanks.

----------------------------
    Age quod agis

Default Re: Legatus traits

As far as I remember, generals get the trait by staying in the appropriate settlement. If he stays 2(?) turns on the settlement with the resource Legion X he will get the Legatus trait for the Legion X. It's mostly there to help with the roleplay. When you rotate the generals you transfer the trait too.

If a character holds, lets say a legatus XI and dies, then put a named character in the settlement marked with XI and the legatus will be handed over to him within the next turn. Now if you have a character with legatus XI and he is sitting in some far flung province and isn't going to die anytime soon...then you won't see that legatus pop up until he is dead. You'll have to transfer a general and do an ancillary exchange in that case. Finally, as for gameplay - the legatus provided +1 Influence and +1 Morale I think. Morale is always helpful, and influence plays a role in both the campaign map as well as settlements. But as acmarques has said, it was really for role play or tracking legions before marian reforms.

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    If a character holds, lets say a legatus XI and dies, then put a named character in the settlement marked with XI and the legatus will be handed over to him within the next turn. Now if you have a character with legatus XI and he is sitting in some far flung province and isn't going to die anytime soon...then you won't see that legatus pop up until he is dead. You'll have to transfer a general and do an ancillary exchange in that case. Finally, as for gameplay - the legatus provided +1 Influence and +1 Morale I think. Morale is always helpful, and influence plays a role in both the campaign map as well as settlements. But as acmarques has said, it was really for role play or tracking legions before marian reforms.

I understand.
    So the fact that generals can have more than 1 legatus trait in fact reflects possibility to allow one general to raise several legions (as was in Ceazar case also).

I am looking into this after the reforms. Another question is what about rebels. I had two legions stationed in northern Hispania (in towns) rebel resulting in loss of two provinces.
    Lets say the general that rebelled was holding some legatus trait, does he also keep the trait reserved to himself untill he is dead?

Another question that pops in my mind is ... can a faction heir/leader rebel?

Thanx

Age quod agis

Yeah you could stack more then one Legatus Ancillaries with one general, but its usually is just one to each. As for rebels - no your faction leader cannot rebel, but your heir could. Another thing to watch out for is if you change the faction heir to another character. That change results in a -3 loyalty trait, because he is dishonored. As for the legatus trait with rebels, I'm not sure if the legatus ancillary is just roman_julii specific or includes the scipii (roman rebels) If a general rebels and he has a legatus, check to see if the ancillary stays with him. In that case you don't need to wait for him to die, go and kill the traitor to speed it up lol