Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW - ROMAN LEGIONS - 2.0

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio VIIII Hispana

He will have it up in a little while

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio VIIII Hispana

Haha I appreciate the enthusiasm. It will be up in an hour or so. Loading the preview now.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

I do believe you guys should have more people on this forum for how awesome this mod will be when its ready. You just need one GIANT INTENSE preview to suck in all the fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Totalknight View Post
    I do believe you guys should have more people on this forum for how awesome this mod will be when its ready. You just need one GIANT INTENSE preview to suck in all the fans!
    When me and UMC have finished screenshotting and videoing AE to death, trust me, it will be a very intense preview of everything we've done so far.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Preview now posted. Some new textures added in. Legio IIII Mac and IIII Flavia Felix as requested.

Edit: Units cards still a WIP, and will post as soon as they are ready for the outstanding previews.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; August 24, 2015 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Preview now posted. Some new textures added in. Legio IIII Mac and IIII Flavia Felix as requested.
    Sweet Jesus!!

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio IIII Mac & Legio IIII FF

Source time! This time I took a design and modified it a bit with the lightning bolts, and tried to keep it in such a style that wouldn't alienate the Legio IIII Flavia Felix design taken from Gladiator.

While Gladiator's legion was named Legio III Felix, it is thought to be a nod to Flavia Felix, and I'm thinking also III Italica, which Marcus Aurelius raised. Both of these two legions were on the Danube frontier in 180AD, the year of Aurelius' death.

Macedonica
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Flavia Felix
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by ipwnu678; August 25, 2015 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio IIII Mac & Legio IIII FF

All,

i understand that not all legionaries in a cohort had the same uniform armor buuutt I am not a huge fan of how mixed DEI has their imperial cohorts. It removes the awesome deadlyness of their appearance.

thanks,

TotalKnight

Hello everyone and first of all, congratulations for the mods, seems awesome, and in second place I have a little clarification on the subject of Roman armor. The hamata armour was most used in the south and the east, but wasn't about it price or the arrow proteccion (In fact, the armor have less protection against arrows, because it is formed by small circles of metal that can be forced to open by the angle of the arrowhead), It believes was possibly because the eastern and nomads battle techniques forced the romans to adopt a more flexible and maniobrable style of infantry, using the chain mail because is more flexible and not because they protect more against arrows. The segmentata was born in the north because the style of battle of european barbarians was close combat with long sword doing attacks from above.
    I hope to help and sorry about my english

Seems about right, i probably missread something. Just to update everyone, every legion due to be in the mod at the moment is complete - request away at your hearts content!

X equestris maybe?

The Xth's inspired design is a beautiful design imo - I was planning on changing the Marian era shield on it as it looks a bit.. rubbish... as you will see. The design is based on the real life Legio X Gemina Pia Fidelis group in the Poland or the Czech area - again, a beautiful design befitting a legion that holds the title of Caesar's favourite!

Quote Originally Posted by Totalknight View Post
    All,

i understand that not all legionaries in a cohort had the same uniform armor buuutt I am not a huge fan of how mixed DEI has their imperial cohorts. It removes the awesome deadlyness of their appearance.

thanks,

TotalKnight
    In have been experimenting with more standardization in each cohort. I agree with your assessment. Hopefully you will be pleasantly suprised.

Will you have a First/eagle cohort? one per legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Spadde View Post
    Will you have a First/eagle cohort? one per legion?
    Yes, one for each. Once I finish the unit cards, I will begin to release them with the Unit previews to showcase the first cohorts. BTW, this weeks unit preview, will be coming tonight or possibly tomorrow. Was out of town the past few days.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; September 01, 2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Yes, one for each. Once I finish the unit cards, I will begin to release them with the Unit previews to showcase the first cohorts. BTW, this weeks unit preview, will be coming late tonight/early tomorrow morning. Was out of town the past few days.
    Awesome! Will they have more or double the unitsize like in real life? would be sweet

In terms of making a double sized First cohort, I'm unsure of that myself. I may make it just so there's a cap of two for them so the player can recruit only two per numbered legion. Doubling the size of a late Roman unit could cause some balancing issues, though we have certainly done some rather massive barb units already and that hasn't tipped the scales in any extreme way.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XXII Primigenia

Small update: Legio XXII Primigenia. This unit is an Imperial unit only, but has quite the history.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    In terms of making a double sized First cohort, I'm unsure of that myself. I may make it just so there's a cap of two for them so the player can recruit only two per numbered legion. Doubling the size of a late Roman unit could cause some balancing issues, though we have certainly done some rather massive barb units already and that hasn't tipped the scales in any extreme way.
    Historically there were only 10 cohorts in a legion, 1 of them had an eagle and was double sized, while the remaining 9 were just regular sized.

Also, I'll get the sources up when I'm home - I'm currently visiting grandparents.
    Last edited by ipwnu678; September 01, 2015 at 04:18 PM.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XXII Primigenia

UMCenturion,

well fricking done sir! Love it, i agree, one first cohort per legion with the most troops.

Totalknight