Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW - ROMAN LEGIONS - 2.0

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XII & Legio XIII

The Caesarian Germania Legionary looks earlier in equipment than the Marian one, otherwise pretty good looking!
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XII & Legio XIII

You really put alot of work into this, amazing.

So not all imperial units have the segmentata?

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

Nope, historical accuracy you see. In the southern provinces you had peoples like the parthians using mostly arrows, chain mail was usually enough protection against fatal arrow strikes - whereas the barbarians in the north heavily used javelins that could punch through chain mail, so the segmentata was used more often there. The segmentata would also be very heavy and in the heat of the south, it could become too much to burden, making fatigue occur faster (obviously).

Legions such as III Augusta and III Cyrenaica may have used a leather variant of the segmentata. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it makes sense. UMCenturion and I have talked about this and would love to include some leather segmentata alongside the usual mail for these two. The problem is that there is no vanilla leather segmentata, so it would need to be specially made.

ok, thats cool

Hey guys.

I was wondering if you could share your AoR plans for legion recruitment. As you probably know, DeI has a submod to include individually named Legions, with an AoR system to support them - they basically assign one legion to each province of what would become the Roman Empire, and then that legion is only able to be recruited in that specific province. I actually dislike this system, because of how it forces you to expand in certain ways, and makes things difficult to proceed with a slow expansion campaign.

I would advocate a system where each legion has several provinces they can be recruited from, with three or more legions recruitable in each province.
    ex.
    Cisalpina Province can recruit: Alaudae, Gallica, X Gemina
    X Gemina can be recruited in: Carthaginensis, Cisalpina, Thracia.

This would allow the player more flexibility in how they expand, and allow more variety/diversity in their armies and the legions they choose to recruit.

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    Hey guys.

I was wondering if you could share your AoR plans for legion recruitment. As you probably know, DeI has a submod to include individually named Legions, with an AoR system to support them - they basically assign one legion to each province of what would become the Roman Empire, and then that legion is only able to be recruited in that specific province. I actually dislike this system, because of how it forces you to expand in certain ways, and makes things difficult to proceed with a slow expansion campaign.

I would advocate a system where each legion has several provinces they can be recruited from, with three or more legions recruitable in each province.
    ex.
    Cisalpina Province can recruit: Alaudae, Gallica, X Gemina
    X Gemina can be recruited in: Carthaginensis, Cisalpina, Thracia.

This would allow the player more flexibility in how they expand, and allow more variety/diversity in their armies and the legions they choose to recruit.

We haven't quite mapped that out just yet, but suggestions are certainly appreciated. ABH will probably have a better idea on the thoughts of AOR, as this was a huge part of the original plans for Ancient Empires on the Rome 2 platform.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

What is AoR?

Cool units!!

We want the Legio IX?? The lost legion!!

Ancient Empires Member: Unit Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Spadde View Post
    What is AoR?
    Area of Recruitment - basically a system in the game where we can set certain units to only be recruited in certain regions, provinces, etc, throughout the game. allows more diversification based on where you are, not only who or what faction you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Cortes View Post
    Cool units!!

You got it!

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Cortes View Post
    Cool units!!

You got it!
    my favourite!

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

My favourite legions would be the II Augusta closely followed by the XIII Gemina^^

Quote Originally Posted by ipwnu678 View Post
    Nope, historical accuracy you see. In the southern provinces you had peoples like the parthians using mostly arrows, chain mail was usually enough protection against fatal arrow strikes - whereas the barbarians in the north heavily used javelins that could punch through chain mail, so the segmentata was used more often there. The segmentata would also be very heavy and in the heat of the south, it could become too much to burden, making fatigue occur faster (obviously).
    I think I read about this recently, the segmentata (might have been called laminata, i like that name^^) was actually lighter than the hamata.

Whereas the segmentata is composed from solid metal strips, and therefore carried much of itīs weight on itīs own (rigid plate is always lighter than fluid mail),
    the hamata gathered nearly all itīs weight on the shoulders and hips.

Javelins would penetrate neither Chainmail nor laminated plate unless thrown from a close distance or if they had rather thin tips, which are harder to produce.
    The segmentata was just simply cheaper to produce en masse, but I think I have read that they were unpopular with the troops since it took long to put on and chaving in the shoulder area.
    It also didnīt protract beyound the waist, whereas chainmail protected your groin more effectively.

The more compelling reason why segmentatas were primarily worn in northern regions would IMO be the vast heat of the deserts and the cheaper price.

I think recruits would have been able to choose wether to chose cheaper laminated armor or more/ludicrously more expensive chain/scalemail.
    Most would be from proletarian background and therefore shrink back from the higher prices, and thus buy the cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by ipwnu678 View Post
    Legions such as III Augusta and III Cyrenaica may have used a leather variant of the segmentata. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it makes sense. UMCenturion and I have talked about this and would love to include some leather segmentata alongside the usual mail for these two. The problem is that there is no vanilla leather segmentata, so it would need to be specially made.
    IMO they may have simply used Linothoraxes, we wouldnīt know since most stelae and columns were used as propaganda,
    and greek armor wouldnīt be roman enough, they defeated the greedy and morally stagnated greeks after all.

It would make sense, since the linothorax offers good protection agains arrows, is easy to put on and doesnīt heat up as much.
    Linothorax Segmentata would look awesome, but i think that would stretch the limits of plausibility^^

Scalemail would be a possibilty too.

BTW, on another note, when did the romans start numbering legions of non consular origin? Since Marius?
    Last edited by Maetharin; August 12, 2015 at 11:57 AM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Scale was also used in the south and east, and im not sure when numbers were used first, i think its when men like pompey and caesar started to raise legions

All of my favourite legions are II Augusta, VI Victrix and IX Hispana
    Last edited by ipwnu678; August 12, 2015 at 03:11 PM.

Gents,

awesome stuff, i know its upcoming, but please work hard to give these guys good formations. The previews show them to be too separated to me. Also, if we could add a second standard bearer, it would be cool. One with their sign and one with the normal circular thingy

thanks,

Total

Quote Originally Posted by Totalknight View Post
    Gents,

awesome stuff, i know its upcoming, but please work hard to give these guys good formations. The previews show them to be too separated to me. Also, if we could add a second standard bearer, it would be cool. One with their sign and one with the normal circular thingy

thanks,

Total
    Each era legion unit has 2 variants: eagle cohort with the legions banner attached to the eagle standard, and the regular cohort with the circular thingy you mention.

Also please bare in mind that at this very moment we have 23 out of the planned 30 legions complete, soooo some recommendations for the previews might not be finished - though will soon be. But considering we have done 23, it's quite likely that anything you recommend will be complete already!

Quote Originally Posted by Totalknight View Post
    Gents,

thanks,

Total
    Do not fret my friend, this is only a unit preview and not the finished product. any formations, spacings, etc will come down the road. We even have a member working on new animations, such as slow marching, shield to shield. Sim to attacking testudo, but without the testudo . More to come.

Awesome Work

Im so excited

Enjoy

Legio I Germanica wallpapers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Beautiful as usual Petellius - nice angry romans mod btw

Alsooo perhaps we could get wallpapers with the legions in their natural.. ah, habitat you could say. they look a bit hot under that winter coat