Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: NEW - ROMAN LEGIONS - 2.0

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: [UNITS] Ancient Empires Presents: THE ROMAN LEGIONS

Quote Originally Posted by briks View Post
    Legionares and auxiliares didn't wear cloaks. Only pretorians and horse units wore cloaks. Imperial pretorians had shield form like Marian Legionaries not like Imperial Legionaries.
    All Roman soldiers had cloaks. In fact, just about every Roman/Barbarian citizen probably owned a cloak. It was basically standard wear back then. It's of course another matter whether any Roman soldiers actually wore a cloak in battle. As for the shields, I doubt the praetorians had a "special shield". Probably the shield designs changed gradually, just as they changed for the rest of the Roman army.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    All Roman soldiers had cloaks. In fact, just about every Roman/Barbarian citizen probably owned a cloak. It was basically standard wear back then. It's of course another matter whether any Roman soldiers actually wore a cloak in battle.
    It is exactly this what I wrote. Roman Imperial Legionaries wore cloacks on patrols or when they were in camps but legionaries didn't wear cloacks in battle. Legionaries on Traian's Column and Septymius Sewer Arch don't have cloacks, so I think that Imperial Leginaries mustn't have cloacks. Only Pretorians and horse units should have cloacks.

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

All auxiliaries are pulled directly from the Divide et Impera mod. They were gracious enough to allow us to use them. As far the legionaries - most are pulled from XIIICaesar's mod. He was also gracious to let us use them as well. Custom shield designs are done by another modder on here. The scutum models were transformed by myself, as well as the helmets. All helmets are historical. I have done extensive research to match the type of helmets they should have been used by specific legions, at least at any given period of time. As far as attire, of course it is not completely historically, and it's hard to do unless you are fully invested in remodeling everything. Cloaks represent harsh weather for legionaries . It is an option to remove that i am open to. In time, my intentions are to make each legion as historical as possible, but simply do not have the bandwith to do so at the moment.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

Hi there. This is wonderful work. Could you make it working also with DEI? XIIICaesar's mod is not updated long time, so it would be great to have such units also in DEI mod. Thx.

that is a thought. I have made a custom pack for myself in the past. I would have make sure everything works correctly and is compatible with their population script. Ill see what I can do.

Oki thanks.

Why are Unit Cards not like Total War Attila?

Mod perfect

But unit cards are not good

Unit cards can also be like Medieval kingdom total war attila

Already launched?

Gents,

the world is screaming for these awesome legions, since AE release is very far away. Can you please Please make a submod for DeI that allows us to use these legions? With appropriate unit stats and unit cards to match of course )

see main page thread
    Last edited by UMCenturion; June 17, 2017 at 01:11 PM.

What about the Legio I Germanica Augusta?
    In the legions in the time of Augustus, the legionaries wore both the lorica hamata as well as the lorica segmentata.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

Hello everyone

Final year of Uni coming up, so to get my creativity flowing I decided on a few small reskin exercises. The current victim is the Imperial-era Legio X Gemina Pia Fidelis (and behind the scenes a little playing with I Minervia, but it's not finished yet). You might be wondering why I'm reskinning my own reskins. Not entirely correct, while the Marian and Augustan era legionaries for the 10th are my textures, UMC swapped the 10th and 1st Minervia around a bit - so my Minervia design is on the AE Imperial Legio X, and the original Caesar's Legions/Roma Surrectum (or which ever R1TW mod it was) texture for I Minervia just so happened to be the same design that a Legio X re-enactment group used. One of their members asked if I could texture Gemina to his groups design.

So with that, I'm going to make a submod for AE to do some cleaning up to make every legion that has a re-enactment group follow the real world design - not all will follow, but most. This isn't something that will release any time soon with the exception of Gemina. I also plan to upload each different redesign individually on the workshop so that you guys can pick and choose which you'd like to play with. There will be a release with all of it in for those that want all of it without messing their folder up. By the way, currently the only thing stopping me from releasing the 10th is the lack of a changed unit card, which I'm hoping UMC will make so that the continuity of AEs cards aren't broken by my lack of his shader settings, styling, etc

Anyway, with that I'm pleased to reveal Legio Decima Gemina Pia Fidelis, screenshots based circa 71-103CE while based in present day Netherlands.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I ended up taking triple/quadruple that amount of screenshots in the course of the battle, feel free to check the rest on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/FagridT...t/screenshots/

Dark Centurion

Bumping this - I have added the Legion and Aux system AOR Maps to the front page. This will be moved back to the previews thread once released.

Great work!!!

So I'm sure that you who work on this mod are aware that the Cohort sizes in the mod, are not accurate to Imperial Legions, is there any clear reason to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Optio Cato View Post
    So I'm sure that you who work on this mod are aware that the Cohort sizes in the mod, are not accurate to Imperial Legions, is there any clear reason to this?
    I don't know the modders, but I think that having 20 units of 600 men (or 480 if you follow some other historians) on a single battlefield against other 20 units of whatever men, would simply FRY your PC...

Also, the game starts during the Republic, so I don't know why republican legions should conform to imperial organization patterns, especially with the difference between pre-marian and marian legions XD
    Last edited by emi; May 12, 2018 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emi View Post
    I don't know the modders, but I think that having 20 units of 600 men (or 480 if you follow some other historians) on a single battlefield against other 20 units of whatever men, would simply FRY your PC...

Also, the game starts during the Republic, so I don't know why republican legions should conform to imperial organization patterns, especially with the difference between pre-marian and marian legions XD
    Yeah I get that, and I'm on the 480 side, so I would prefer if every cohort (imperial) was that size. 20x480=9600, so I believe that only very powerful computers would be able to pull that of. How I would've fixed it would have been to limit the amount of cohorts to 10 in an army, the rest of the troops being auxiliaries and the commander, which would result in a smaller amount of troops(although not too much smaller).
    So, I guess its logical that the cohorts aren't 480 or 600 men, but at least they could make them proportionate to the historical values, instead of just a number taken from nowhere. All in all though, it doesn't really matter, as you can just imagine the sizes of the cohorts yourself.

Better get myself a laptop cooling pad for this mod. Attila already starts to make my comp overheat a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Optio Cato View Post
    So, I guess its logical that the cohorts aren't 480 or 600 men, but at least they could make them proportionate to the historical values, instead of just a number taken from nowhere.
    That would be incredibly unfair gameplay-wise: since we don't know how most other ancient armies were organised in terms of men-per-unit, giving the Roman cohorts an amount of men based on their historical size would force every other nation to adapt their unit size to the Roman standard. While Rome is undoubtedly the most important fation in the mod, it's not the only one, so centering the entire military organization of the mod around Roman units would either completely break playability (since Rome would be absolutely unbeatable) or make the entire mod just a repetition of units with different names.

Decanus

4 more days, I can hardly wait.