Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW - ROMAN LEGIONS - 2.0

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio I Germanica

nice! 12th leading so far....

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio I Germanica

13!

XIII !!!!!!!!!!

Also, is there no lorica segmentata?

Quote Originally Posted by Spadde View Post
    XIII !!!!!!!!!!

yes the lorica segmentata appears on the Imperial - latest unit. I believe I have them named Augustan in this. Half of the units have hamata and half the lorica - the short video shows a little bit of this.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; August 08, 2015 at 04:57 PM.

ipwnu678's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    XIII !!!!!!!!!!

yes the lorica segmentata appears on the Imperial - latest unit. I believe I have them named Augustan in this. Half of the units have segmentata and half the lorica - the short video shows a little bit of this.
    to add onto UMCenturions comment, some legions have all got segmentata, some have only chainmail - it depends on the environment that they originate, so a lot of middle eastern based legions have chainmail, while northern legions have a mix. a few rhine and germanic legions have segmentata only.

we have also considered adding leather segmentata to III Augusta and III Cyrenaica, though that would mean a bit of UV and Normal mapping besides the usual diffuse, thats something I am not proficient with

Voting is complete. Thanks everyone for their responses. Preview of the next legion will be set in the next 24 hours!

will the units that use segmentata have better armor than the units that use hamata?

Marginally better yeah. Mail comes in a number of variations - light, "normal" and superior. The so called normal provides 7 armour, superior 8 (representing better helmet and greaves). Segementata provides 9, so the difference is pretty minimal at best.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

seems to be reasonably accurate, cool

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Marginally better yeah. Mail comes in a number of variations - light, "normal" and superior. The so called normal provides 7 armour, superior 8 (representing better helmet and greaves). Segementata provides 9, so the difference is pretty minimal at best.
    However with the more streamlined, lower scale stats, the difference between 8 and 9 is a lot larger than it sounds. More like 50 to 60 in the base game
    AE Dev, mainly units

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    However with the more streamlined, lower scale stats, the difference between 8 and 9 is a lot larger than it sounds. More like 50 to 60 in the base game
    why 50 to 60 and not 80 to 90?

Quote Originally Posted by Willhelm123 View Post
    It's not very comparable, speaking of armour. With each value being an equally likely outcome in an roll, 9 armour means there is a 10% chance a soldier will die if hit (1/10). 8 armour means 11.11% chance (1/9). The significance is much more prominent when it goes down to values half of that and lower. Then there's the other difference in the systems, hit points. If you would entirely ignore the armour-piercing damage in vanilla, the difference in 50 and 60 armour, assuming a weapon deals approximately 30 base damage (which can be deflected by armour), you'd end up with roughly a 40% chance of deflecting all the damage/60% chance of taking damage between 1 and 30, and 50%/50% in the case with 60 armour. In neither of the cases, there is a statisical chance that the soldier might die unless he's been wounded two or three times at least already. Just looking at this data, you can see that it's very different systems we're talking about, making them tough to compare.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Any continuation on this discussion should probably be over on the combat preview thread.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

SickRabbit's Avatar Civis

XIII !!

Quote Originally Posted by SickRabbit View Post
    XIII !!
    Brother? :O

SickRabbit's Avatar Civis

Brother? :O
    haha, yessir

Sooo where is the 13th preview??

It's on its way, later tonight i suspect

Quote Originally Posted by Totalknight View Post
    Sooo where is the 13th preview??
    it will be completed in the next a couple hours, if not sooner. Was having issues with my photo editing software.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XII & Legio XIII

Preview is now posted. Please see first post. Thanks for your patience guys. Units cards to follow - wanted to get the core preview up.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Ancient Empires Presents: - Legion of the Week Unit Preview - Legio XII & Legio XIII

Ah, you compromised and went for both. Good thinking!