Thread: It is possible to add more Swap Factions for the next version of Roma Surrectum?

Default It is possible to add more Swap Factions for the next version of Roma Surrectum?

As the title said is possible to include more swap factions? And it would be so which should be included?

Below my personnal list of the most interisting factions that could be included:

1. The Kingdom of Iberia (Caucasus)

2. Numidia

3. Kappadocia

4. Trinovantes (Britania)

5. Celt-Scythians (Bastarnae, Costoboci, etc.)
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; August 03, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: It is possible to add more Swap Factions for the next version of Roma Surrectum?

Seconded.

Frankly I'd love to play every single Greek colony separately if possible.
    The rosters would be pretty much the same for obvious reasons, but those are easy to edit, it's mainly the different (challenging) starting positions I find interesting.

Default Re: It is possible to add more Swap Factions for the next version of Roma Surrectum?

I believe that's one of the goals in the next version of Roma Surrectum.

It is a lot of work.
    Creating historical units for the faction, regions, culture, stat modifications, etc.
    But one can hope
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    It is a lot of work.
    Creating historical units for the faction, regions, culture, stat modifications, etc.
    But one can hope
    I was under the impression that RSII already maxed out the EDU, so creating additional units for any faction would require decreasing the variety somewhere else.
    Is it even possible to have vastly different rosters for individual campaigns if somebody would be willing to do all that work?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

RS2 uses so many units in the first place because swap factions were 'envisioned' from the start, and RS2 was written so that many could be included. However, when we set up the swap factions that exist currently, our goal was to create a 'different' experience in playing that faction, and, to highlite a faction that was at least somewhat of a 'player' in the history of the time. So for example, Massalia, Syracuse and Capua were ideal because they were opponents of Rome, or Carthage, or both. Galatia and Bithynia were ideal because they were opponents of Pergamon. The only one NOT included that probably should've been is Athens....but it wasn't included because Athens was in a serious state of decline during this time. But so was Sparta....so that doesn't mean much. Numidia wasn't included because in almost all cases and mods, Carthage doesn't perform very well against the Romans anyway, and we didn't want yet another faction pounding on them in Africa.

The 'Kingdom of Iberia', Kappadocia and the Trinovantes could be interesting....but I'm not sure the first two are very doable. They wouldn't have much of a unit roster.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    RS2 uses so many units in the first place because swap factions were 'envisioned' from the start, and RS2 was written so that many could be included. However, when we set up the swap factions that exist currently, our goal was to create a 'different' experience in playing that faction, and, to highlite a faction that was at least somewhat of a 'player' in the history of the time. So for example, Massalia, Syracuse and Capua were ideal because they were opponents of Rome, or Carthage, or both. Galatia and Bithynia were ideal because they were opponents of Pergamon. The only one NOT included that probably should've been is Athens....but it wasn't included because Athens was in a serious state of decline during this time. But so was Sparta....so that doesn't mean much. Numidia wasn't included because in almost all cases and mods, Carthage doesn't perform very well against the Romans anyway, and we didn't want yet another faction pounding on them in Africa.

The 'Kingdom of Iberia', Kappadocia and the Trinovantes could be interesting....but I'm not sure the first two are very doable. They wouldn't have much of a unit roster.
    I think that the Kingdom of Iberia it is not really as problematic as can seem respect its unit roster, because you could solve its limitation problems in a similar way as you made with the dacian faction: an unit roster composed by some unique iberian units (armavazd guard, iberian cathapracs and royal guard) combined with units of the armenian roster and the neighbouring scythian and sarmatian factions, having in mind that historically the steppe cultures had a high influence and presence in the Caucasus serving as mercenaries in the armies of its kingdoms for example, and in the case of Armenia because both kingdoms kept close ties along its history (military aid, royal weddings between armenian and iberian dynasties, etc.)

On other hand respect the Greek poleis for my point of view Athens really deserves to be included as a swap faction in the next version of the mod not only because its campaing would be an authentic challenge for the player due its state of decadency and the continous pression of Macedon and after of Rome but also because during this time Athens still played an important role as one of main enemies of the kingdom of Macedon in its struggle for the total control of Greece along some of the best friends of the "Owl City" at these years as the Rhodians (another faction that should be included) and overall (especially with the progressive weakness of the ptolemaic influence in the Aegen sea) the Attalid kingdom of Pergamon which was probably its most closest ally during the first years of the campaing.

In fact you can take a look about the closes ties of friendship, military collaboration and intelectual ifluence of both states in this very interesting article "Athens and the Attalids in the Second Century B.C.":
    http://www.ascsa.edu.gr/pdf/uploads/hesperia/148304.pdf

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; September 01, 2015 at 12:44 PM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

You make some good points. Keep giving me some historical perspective on these ideas, and I will store it up. I saved the pdf for future ref.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    You make some good points. Keep giving me some historical perspective on these ideas, and I will store it up. I saved the pdf for future ref.
    Thanks! I have some ideas in mind about two or three historical events that could made more interesting and challeging several campaings for the player. When I have read enough stuff about it I will post my suggestion with historical references.

I'd love to have more swap factions that start very weak, with a single settlement. The game is most fun for me when I start at the very bottom of the pile. Maybe there could be more "rebel" campaigns like Capua. They wouldn't need new units or anything, just an alternative starting scenario.

Congratulation for the mod I find it awesome
    I think that a fine addition to future release would be Baktria.
    They are oppesed by Seleucid and Parthia and could be quite interesting.
    Then fine additions could be: an Indian Kingdom or The Kingdom of Thracia or Numidia or The city-state of Kyrene or a faction in Britain.
    I think that adding Athens would be a great think and quite a tribute to its greatness!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario.Daniele View Post
    Congratulation for the mod I find it awesome
    I think that a fine addition to future release would be Baktria.
    They are oppesed by Seleucid and Parthia and could be quite interesting.
    Then fine additions could be: an Indian Kingdom or The Kingdom of Thracia or Numidia or The city-state of Kyrene or a faction in Britain.
    I think that adding Athens would be a great think and quite a tribute to its greatness!
    ah and also Epirus I think could be a good addition