Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] Divide et Impera 1.1: Macedonian Wars

Icon3 [PREVIEW] Divide et Impera 1.1: Macedonian Wars

Divide et Impera 1.1 Preview: Macedonian Wars

Campaign Setting
    The Macedonian Wars were a series of several conflicts that took place concurrently with the end and aftermath of the Second Punic War. These wars eventually saw Rome cement its control over the Mediterranean by supplanting the hegemony of the various Successor and Greek kingdoms in the east. Despite being relatively short wars, the entirety of the conflict brought in many of the Mediterranean powers of the age. In varying levels of participation, the combatants included kingdoms like the Seleucids, Ptolemies, Macedon, and Pergamon, just to name a few. Although it is a somewhat anachronistic description, in many ways these wars were the world war of the time period. The more traditional powers of the Diadochi had run up against an emerging superpower in the west. Starting with the First Macedonian War, these conflicts would center around various treaties and attempted positioning by these world powers to secure hegemony in the region.

Divide et Impera: Macedonian Wars will start with the second of these conflicts around 200 B.C. The major powers include Rome, Macedon, Pergamon, the Seleucids, Rhodes, Ptolemaic holdings, and various Greek leagues and city-states. The player will have the option of playing as one of the Greek powers in the region - either Macedon, Pergamon or Rhodes - or as the invading force from the Republic to the west.

*Images below are from various WIP stages.

A breakdown of the campaign map can be seen here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Playable Factions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Information
    - Wrath of Sparta DLC will be required to play this campaign.
    - Fully customized campaign with specialized rosters for each major power according to the time period.
    - All of Divide et Impera's custom systems will be active (other than reforms, which are unnecessary).
    - Aggressive CAI and a more war-oriented campaign setting.
    - Historical characters/figures from the various major players.

FAQ
    Q. I liked WoS. Why did you guys decide to get rid of the Wrath of Sparta campaign?
    A. We felt that WoS was a fairly bland campaign for multiple reasons. First, the rosters are all generic and there is no active culture system in the campaign. Choosing to devote large amounts of resources to making entirely historic rosters for a completely different time period would both not be worth the development time and would still yield fairly similar rosters for the various powers. Second, other than some interesting scripts for Persia, once you start to look "under the hood" of WoS you begin to see just how rushed and copy/paste a lot of the content is. In reality, it was the final DLC campaign for Rome 2 and it shows. That opinion may not be shared by everyone, but we hope that once you give the new campaign a try you will see the improvements.

Q. Why the Macedonian Wars for the setting?
    A. There are a few reasons we chose this campaign setting. First, the map lends itself perfectly to it. Second, it gave us the opportunity to have multiple factions with all of DeI's wonderful variety in those factions (rather than just copy/paste Greek rosters). Third, Rome seems popular and this campaign now has Rome in it

Q. Will I still be able to play WoS in DeI?
    A. Sadly, no. There are limited campaign slots and we will be using WoS for the new campaign. There is the possibility of making a submod that will allow the campaign to be played, though.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Divide et Impera 1.1: Macedonian Wars

You mean I'm forced to buy WoS? That was the worst of the DLC, and that's saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishAssassin View Post
    You mean I'm forced to buy WoS? That was the worst of the DLC, and that's saying something.
    We agree, that is why we are doing something different with the campaign.

This is awesome! I cannot wait to try this campaign out. Think I will burst onto the stage with Rhodos in that campaign

Scion of Africanus's Avatar Libertus

Just when I thought the DEI team would move on, I've been stricken with an obsession to resurrect the magnificent Kingdom of Makedon, particularly after reading Borza's "In the Shadow of Olympus".

And then I stumble onto this. Good grief! There really is no hope now for the bickering Greeks, the presumptuous Romans or the disdainful Asians. My Silvershields' brandished pikes will rekindle Paullus' terror tenfold...

I await this promising little gem with wistful eyes...

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Wow, very interesting! I look forword

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Cool stuff!

Are you sure you won't add the Achaean League as a playable faction?

Woot, my favorite period! It would be sexy to play as the Achaean league no doubt...
    One question: Any way some of those units for Pergamon will make their way to the grand campaign down the road? My favorite faction but still a bit bland in the main campaign sadly.
    Also, I'm wondering if you guys lean more toward looking at Pergamon as an old school "city state" or as a "successor kingdom" under the Attalids as far as unit type and overall style goes?
    Thanks for any answers!

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Can we assume that it will be one optional campaign in DeI 1.1 or will there be no full campaign anymore?

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

I have to admit slaughtering Romans with pikes is my favorite thing to do in DEI... I never play with the Romans, but I have a lot of fond memories of destroying them! The WOS campaign map will be a lot more interesting now.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    Can we assume that it will be one optional campaign in DeI 1.1 or will there be no full campaign anymore?
    Not sure what you mean here but the campaign replaces WoS
    Quote Originally Posted by Noone likes Thebes:( View Post
    Woot, my favorite period! It would be sexy to play as the Achaean league no doubt...
    One question: Any way some of those units for Pergamon will make their way to the grand campaign down the road? My favorite faction but still a bit bland in the main campaign sadly.
    Also, I'm wondering if you guys lean more toward looking at Pergamon as an old school "city state" or as a "successor kingdom" under the Attalids as far as unit type and overall style goes?
    Thanks for any answers!
    Any Pergamon roster changes will be included in the GC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    Cool stuff!

Are you sure you won't add the Achaean League as a playable faction?
    After 1.1 I plan to release AFP mods for all DLC campaigns

thomas_r's Avatar Decanus

Very cool, the pergamon roster changes will be applied to the Grand campaign ?

And are the faction traits definitive ? (Because it seem Macedon have a barbarian one).

And during that time period all greeks should not be against romans ? (I ask because macedon have the traits that gave them a big penalty with other greeks)

And I apologize, but I know nothing about these wars thats why I ask

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by thomas_r View Post
    Very cool, the pergamon roster changes will be applied to the Grand campaign ?

And are the faction traits definitive ? (Because it seem Macedon have a barbarian one).

And during that time period all greeks should not be against romans ? (I ask because macedon have the traits that gave them a big penalty with other greeks)

And I apologize, but I know nothing about these wars thats why I ask
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonian_Wars

This ... is just brilliant thank you guys. awesome stuff ! I cant express how much I appreciate you people.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post
    I have to admit slaughtering Romans with pikes is my favorite thing to do in DEI... I never play with the Romans, but I have a lot of fond memories of destroying them! The WOS campaign map will be a lot more interesting now.
    Then I hope you have fun with almost RSII levels of infinite free 20 stacks of Roman troops constantly popping up in your territory until you are crushed by true Roman virtue, Greek degenerate..
    Last edited by Ivan_Moscavich; August 03, 2015 at 04:28 AM.

I'm seriously considering buying WoS now - look what you've done DeI team.

This is amazing, thank you for this!

I can finally play as Rodos, this looks great.

thomas_r's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    Thanks for the link, I know now what is it. (My bad I didnt check before)

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Due to the headline "Divide et Impera 1.1: Macedonian Wars"

It sounds as if DeI 1.1 is going to revolve around the mini campaign so I was curious if the update will also (still) focus on the grand campaign or do we have to play this new campaign in order to fully benefit from DeI 1.1 changes.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast