Thread: Empire Mod Questions & Recommendations

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: ETW Mods Recommendations & Queries Here

Welcome, Captain Orange. This post makes some suggestions.

I dig through the workshop and couldn't find any mod that changes building tree icons. They are just so incredibly ugly compared to Shogun 2. Is there a mod that fixes this issue?

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Akahige View Post
    I dig through the workshop and couldn't find any mod that changes building tree icons. They are just so incredibly ugly compared to Shogun 2. Is there a mod that fixes this issue?
    I did changed the building tree UI for my IS-submod which you can find here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...annover-Submod
    But it is only a small part of the mod...

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Captain Orange's Avatar Libertus

Is there a startpos mod that unlocks Mughal only?

I have played Total War for about 4 years now and haven't used a single mod, and now I see that my experience could have been so much better all along. But I need help. I have spent the better part of the last week looking for a mods but can't seem to find what I'm really looking for.

First of all, I am a huge history buff, and I absolutely hate the lack of detail CA put into each faction's respective units. My first goal is to find a mod or recommend set of mods that converts or at least adds historically accurate units for all factions. However, I am specifically looking for mods for Georgia (yes Georgia was no longer unified in the 18th century, but at least Circassian or Kartvelian soldiers would be nice, as long as they are from the Caucasus and wearing some kind of chokha covered in Russian blood!), Russia, Norway/Sweden/Finland, Prussian (along with along other Germanic post-Roman Holy Empire nations), and last but not least, Scotland.

Also, if you guys can recommend a good mod to make the gameplay more realistic, that would be great too. I see everyone and their Uncle uses Darthmod, however I have found little proof that does anything to authenticate the factions. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beak View Post
    I have played Total War for about 4 years now and haven't used a single mod, and now I see that my experience could have been so much better all along. But I need help. I have spent the better part of the last week looking for a mods but can't seem to find what I'm really looking for.

First of all, I am a huge history buff, and I absolutely hate the lack of detail CA put into each faction's respective units. My first goal is to find a mod or recommend set of mods that converts or at least adds historically accurate units for all factions. However, I am specifically looking for mods for Georgia (yes Georgia was no longer unified in the 18th century, but at least Circassian or Kartvelian soldiers would be nice, as long as they are from the Caucasus and wearing some kind of chokha covered in Russian blood!), Russia, Norway/Sweden/Finland, Prussian (along with along other Germanic post-Roman Holy Empire nations), and last but not least, Scotland.

Also, if you guys can recommend a good mod to make the gameplay more realistic, that would be great too. I see everyone and their Uncle uses Darthmod, however I have found little proof that does anything to authenticate the factions. Thank you!
    Welcome to Empire Total War Forum,...

The closet mod (IMHO) is Imperial Splendour. We are in the process of developing unique units for each faction in the game. The units are divided along three time periods; early, middle and late. We are currently updating our late era mod. We not only develop unique units, but each faction will have its own building chain and technology tree. This will mean you cannot simply trade tech cheaply like you can in vanilla. Eventually, we will include a more realistic battle mechanic as well. For now, you can download the submod which will be incorporated at a later date. (More info) I am currently development an enhance CAI as well. Faction will be define by a "personality" and will react and behave more consistently with history. The vanilla has the AI behave similarly except for a few variables and then, only a few of the factions are effected. I have a beta group you are welcome to join here.

Unfortunately, Scotland will most likely be phase out to make way for other exciting factions like Circassia. (more info)

Our goal is to be historical accurate within the confines of the game engine. I invite you to give us a try. We will value your feedback!

Best Regards,
    PikeStance
    Mod Manager for Imperial Splendour

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Welcome to Empire Total War Forum,...

The closet mod (IMHO) is Imperial Splendour. We are in the process of developing unique units for each faction in the game. The units are divided along three time periods; early, middle and late. We are currently updating our late era mod. We not only develop unique units, but each faction will have its own building chain and technology tree. This will mean you cannot simply trade tech cheaply like you can in vanilla. Eventually, we will include a more realistic battle mechanic as well. For now, you can download the submod which will be incorporated at a later date. (More info) I am currently development an enhance CAI as well. Faction will be define by a "personality" and will react and behave more consistently with history. The vanilla has the AI behave similarly except for a few variables and then, only a few of the factions are effected. I have a beta group you are welcome to join here.

Unfortunately, Scotland will most likely be phase out to make way for other exciting factions like Circassia. (more info)

Our goal is to be historical accurate within the confines of the game engine. I invite you to give us a try. We will value your feedback!

Best Regards,
    PikeStance
    Mod Manager for Imperial Splendour
    Thank you for the info PikeStance! So as I understand it, you are still working on the mod and need help reviewing and testing it? I would be happy to help, just let me know how. Do you simply want people to write feedback or do you have some kind of beta software than can report errors and bugs that you want people to use?

Also, I am excited to hear that your team has taken an interest in the Caucasus region! I am an American and I have a huge interest in Russian and Georgian culture. However, I would argue that a Scotland faction would be equally as interesting considering that both the Georgians and Scots are using medieval tech and tactics in the 18th century. Although I understand that making a mod that covers every faction in the world is going to take a long time and I appreciate your willingness to even tackle the problem!

I will say this. I am more than willing to give feedback for your modding effort, however I will also want to play other mods that have complete factions and/or other features. Do you know of a mod manager for TW that you can recommend? Also, does your team release periodic updates for Imperial Splendor and its submods, or do you only release full versions? If so, and I correct in assuming that v2.0 is the latest?

Thank you and Best of Luck!

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Imperial Splendour is available through 2 beta release :

• Imperial Splendour 2.2.1 :
      This I.S mod cover the great campaign.
      France and Great Britain benefit from new units, especially for the early 18th century as well as new technology trees.
    • Imperial Splendour - Rise of the Republic (I.S RotR) :
      This I.S mod use the great campaign map but focus on the 1783-1799 period.
      First release focused on France and Great Britain, both faction being granted with new units and new technology tree.
      Next release will likely add units, technology trees and building chain for German states and Prussia.

We are searching for peoples to test mod, especially Pikestance CAI and BAI submods.
    CAI submod focus on creating more Campaign AI characters to try to add diversity in faction behaviours, but also to try to create more accurate behaviour regarding the real historical goal for each faction.
    BAI submod focus on creating more accurate Battle Mechanic in a similar way JaM do it with Empire Realism.

If peoples want to share informations about faction organisation (unit roster, technology trees, building chains), they are welcome to discuss about it in the Faction Discussion subforum.
    I only warn that we are searching for accurate historical informations and not about nationalistic biased fantasy or phantasms.

About faction list, we have not find a way to add completely new factions. We can only rename and rework existing one.
    This is the reason why Scots and Irish disappeared as emerging factions, becoming rebels.
    Contrary to Georgia or Cossacks (Zaporizhian or Hetmanat, not sure) that historically exist as independent or semi-independent organized state, Scotland or Ireland didn't in our timeline.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    Imperial Splendour is available through 2 beta release :

• Imperial Splendour 2.2.1 :
      This I.S mod cover the great campaign.
      France and Great Britain benefit from new units, especially for the early 18th century as well as new technology trees.
    • Imperial Splendour - Rise of the Republic (I.S RotR) :
      This I.S mod use the great campaign map but focus on the 1783-1799 period.
      First release focused on France and Great Britain, both faction being granted with new units and new technology tree.
      Next release will likely add units, technology trees and building chain for German states and Prussia.

We are searching for peoples to test mod, especially Pikestance CAI and BAI submods.
    CAI submod focus on creating more Campaign AI characters to try to add diversity in faction behaviours, but also to try to create more accurate behaviour regarding the real historical goal for each faction.
    BAI submod focus on creating more accurate Battle Mechanic in a similar way JaM do it with Empire Realism.

If peoples want to share informations about faction organisation (unit roster, technology trees, building chains), they are welcome to discuss about it in the Faction Discussion subforum.
    I only warn that we are searching for accurate historical informations and not about nationalistic biased fantasy or phantasms.

About faction list, we have not find a way to add completely new factions. We can only rename and rework existing one.
    This is the reason why Scots and Irish disappeared as emerging factions, becoming rebels.
    Contrary to Georgia or Cossacks (Zaporizhian or Hetmanat, not sure) that historically exist as independent or semi-independent organized state, Scotland or Ireland didn't in our timeline.
    I can understand how you can only modify existing factions. When I thought about my last post a little longer, I realized that although Scots were still fighting for independence until the 1740s, they were still a part of the UK.

I am extremely excited to hear that you are working on a Georgian faction! I am sure it is pretty far down the list and I ask no special favors to finish it sooner, but I eagerly await the day that you release it! Until then, I am looking at other mods to sate my appetite, although with little luck. I just installed the Empire Realism mod, because I heard it had realistic Georgian units, however there is no way to even play as the faction

Speaking of that, I was reading about the combat mechanics of Empire Realism, and though I like it, I was wondering if you could let me why Imperial Splendour's mechanic are better

Thank you for the info PikeStance! So as I understand it, you are still working on the mod and need help reviewing and testing it? I would be happy to help, just let me know how. Do you simply want people to write feedback or do you have some kind of beta software than can report errors and bugs that you want people to use?
    I provided a link to the group, when you interested in being a beta tester, send me a PM or post in the link provided.

I can understand how you can only modify existing factions. When I thought about my last post a little longer, I realized that although Scots were still fighting for independence until the 1740s, they were still a part of the UK.

I am extremely excited to hear that you are working on a Georgian faction! I am sure it is pretty far down the list and I ask no special favors to finish it sooner, but I eagerly await the day that you release it! Until then, I am looking at other mods to sate my appetite, although with little luck. I just installed the Empire Realism mod, because I heard it had realistic Georgian units, however there is no way to even play as the faction

Speaking of that, I was reading about the combat mechanics of Empire Realism, and though I like it, I was wondering if you could let me why Imperial Splendour's mechanic are better
    To my knowledge there isn't a mod that add Georgian units. Empire Realism makes changes to db tables for campaign and battle enhancements. I do not recall JaM addion units.

I've never been a beta tester before, but I can give it a shot I'll send you a message now, and perhaps another tester can help me get started to keep you from micromanaging

In regards to the Georgian units, a guy named Amroth made the post back in 2009 however the links he posts are spam: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Georgian-Units

There's even a video to prove units were made at one time, but the link in this video is also false: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp4j1uPrNso

I also found something called the Hetmanat mod which included Georgia units, but the download link for THAT is dead too! Its seems you are my only hope

KonectTW posted on the General Discussion forum:-

Quote Originally Posted by KonectTW View Post
    Hello to all of you, i've noticed that, in my campaings, there're no naval challenge at all, you build a fleet with 10 ships and you rule the sea, that's preety sad, because i was trying to build an naval empire, i've tried to do that with Portugal, U.S and Brittain (Brittain being the strongest navy already at the game beggining) Is there any mod who puts more importance in naval?
    Here are some naval mods (and mods which include changes to ships) which you could try, for more of a challenge in naval battles:-

If you want a naval mod which adds ships and makes many other changes, you could use the impressive Rebellion's Shipyard mod by Bethencourt, here. If you would like a simple navy mod which focuses only on fixing anomalies (for example, fixing overpowered ships and guns), you could try my Equal Navy mini-mod, here. Other naval mods are available, such as poa's 'bigger is better' mod, here.

If you would like a more realistic naval experience (in particular, more realistic sailing) then several mods offer naval realism, then an obvious choice would be Dracula's Naval Realism mod, here. If you would like a more realistic game generally, including naval realism, you could try Empire Realism or Imperial Splendour. Darthmod adds naval realism and makes a lot of changes which, I believe, aim for improved game-play rather than strict realism - different players prefer different things.

If you are looking for a mod which adds ships, there are several mods which do that, including the highly regarded Additional Units Mod by Swiss Halberdier, available from the 'Units Packs and Stats' page. The Rebellion's Shipyard (above) adds several new types of ship. Alternatively, there is my Fourth Rate Frigate Unlock mini-mod (available from the same page as my Equal Navy mini-mod, above) which unlocks a few ships which already exist in the game's files but which are not normally recruitable in the campaign or my These United Colonies mod (there's a link in my signature below) which adds 24-gun frigates and schooners.

If you want to improve the appearance of ships, you could use the optional graphics pack for the Additional Units Mod or Pdguru's Briney Ships Mod, here (Pdguru's mod is for Napoleon: Total War but it works for Empire as well).

If you want more pirate ships, then you could try Minor Factions Revenge or Pirates Über Alles & Russian Сompany (both are available from the 'Compilations and Overhauls' page).

If you prefer to make your own naval mod, then Bethencourt provides expert advice here.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 06, 2015 at 02:33 AM.

Default Live mods? availability? rambling.

I'm late to the party but I'm looking for a few textures to enhance my gaming experience within ETW.

Personally the easy/subtle Realism Mod to be best suited to my taste, but I've had a heck of a time finding still active/alive/maintained links to 90% of those glorious texture mods. There seems to be an abundance of deadness everywhere even after only 6 years and what is essentially 2/4 odd games later (understandably so considering how quickly CA moves on with new projects).

I'm interested/would be grateful if there was some help to be found regarding where to find most these works still.

Last, kind of a related question: has anyone made separate textures for both early and late units? For example 1740s British vs 1780/90s uniforms?

Default Re: Live mods? availability? rambling.

Welcome, walkwest! Since there is a thread for Mod Recommendations, and other players might ask the same questions and look on that thread, I'll do my best to answer you there - link.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 01, 2015 at 01:48 AM.

Walkwest posted in General Discussion:-

Quote Originally Posted by walkwest View Post
    I'm late to the party but I'm looking for a few textures to enhance my gaming experience within ETW.

Personally the easy/subtle Realism Mod to be best suited to my taste, but I've had a heck of a time finding still active/alive/maintained links to 90% of those glorious texture mods. There seems to be an abundance of deadness everywhere even after only 6 years and what is essentially 2/4 odd games later (understandably so considering how quickly CA moves on with new projects).

I'm interested/would be grateful if there was some help to be found regarding where to find most these works still.

Last, kind of a related question: has anyone made separate textures for both early and late units? For example 1740s British vs 1780/90s uniforms?
    I'll answer your last question first. If you like realism, and if you would like different textures for early and late units, then I have a mod to recommend to you: Imperial Splendour. Imperial Splendour offers many features, including:-

- Early and late period units with different textures: this has been fully implemented for some factions, in particular France and Britain; the unit rosters of other factions have been expanded
    - Realism in both land and sea battles: land units lose cohesion (become tired) more quickly and both musket and cannon fire are much less effective, leading to slower battles in which tactical decisions such as where to send your reserves have greater importance than in the vanilla game; similarly, sea battles are much slower than vanilla, allowing for more tactical decision-making.
    - Different technology trees for different factions (factions cannot trade technology through diplomacy, unlike the vanilla game)
    - Improved graphics and sounds (I like the cannon sound in Imperial Splendour)
    - Minor factions, e.g. Hanover and Venice, are unlocked for play

There are two versions of Imperial Splendour, version 2.2.1b (for playing the Grand Campaign, starting in 1700) and the Rise of the Republic (starting in 1783). You'll find both versions in the Hosted Mods part of the forum.

When it becomes available, Bethencourt's 1800 mod (currently in beta and not available yet, as far as I know) will have early and late period units with different textures. If you're interested, you'll find information on the beta version in the Mod Threads sub-forum, on the 'Compilations and Overhauls' page.

I'll discuss some other great options:-

-. As you noticed, a lot of texture mods are no longer available (It seems that download links tend to fail after a period of time.) However, many of the improved textures are included in the Additional Units Mod (AUM) optional graphics pack. You can find the optional graphics pack in the Mod Threads part of the forum, in the sub-forum for Unit Packs and Stats. You can use the AUM optional graphics pack whether or not you use the Additional Units Mod itself. The graphics pack includes improved textures for land units and ships and better flags.

- Another great option for unit textures is Bavarian Grenadier's Vanilla Units Enhanced for all European Nations. You'll find it in the Mod Threads part of the forum, in the sub-forum for Units Packs and Stats. This mod does not include improved ship textures, but you can get better ship textures by using Pdguru's Briney Ships Mod, which is available here, I'll provide a link since Pdguru's mod is on the Napoleon Total War forum. In my latest AAR (After Action Report), I will be posting chapters which will show the improved land units and ships from these mods (both Bavarian Grenadier's Vanilla Units Enhanced and Pdguru's Briney Ships Mod) - there's a link in my signature, if anyone is interested (you won't find screenshots of the improved textures yet, at the time of writing - they will appear in subsequent chapters).
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 01, 2015 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Welcome, walkwest! Since there is a thread for Mod Recommendations, and other players might ask the same questions and look on that thread, I'll do my best to answer you there - link.
    Thanks for the welcome, Alwyn

I suppose additional unit (graphic) packs are the way to go. Also surprised I didn't come across Splendour earlier... sounds like a promising combination.

The improved graphics packs definitely improve the appearance of units and Imperial Splendour is an impressive mod. Imperial Splendour contains its own improved textures; I do not know whether you could use Imperial Splendour together with other mods which affect textures. You could try looking for an answer on the Imperial Splendour part of the Hosted Mods forum, or by posting a question there.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
    Well I would be better interested if there is a MOD that can improve the play style of AI in the grand campaign (by building better combination of armies), and also better combat tactics in battles ...
    There are several mods which offer better AI both in the grand campaign and the battlefield. Here are some of them. I'll just summarise them quickly here - several of them offer many more features than I will have time to list here:-

- Darthmod famously involved a lot of work to offer a better AI. This mod comes with a lot of other changes to improve the game play. Bran Mac Born has continued the work of DarthVader, with his AI sub-mod to offer an even more challenging AI; Darthmod comes with other impressive sub-mods as well. You'll find Darthmod in Hosted Mods.

- Empire Total Factions included Darthmod AI and offers a more 'vanilla' style experience, making fewer changes to the game (it unlocks all factions including emergent factions for play, such as the United States, Quebec, Ireland, Scotland and Naples & Sicily) and allows factions to recruit 5th rates in trade ports, which enables you to prevent a larger faction from ruining your economy by blockading your main trade port) and you can add smaller mods from the Mod Threads forum (e.g. unit packs and gameplay tweaks) to customise your experience. This mod is in the StartPos Mods part of Hosted Mods.

- Imperial Destroyer offers something which I have not seen in any other ETW mod - additional regions. Some 'wilderness' regions (areas of the map which do not belong to regions in the vanilla game, such as much of North America west of Upper Louisiana) become regions which factions can acquire. Like Darthmod, this offers a host of other features including new factions and units and, of course, better AI. It's in Hosted Mods.

- Empire Realism offers improved AI on the campaign map and battlefield and, as its name suggests, better realism. It's in Hosted Mods.

- Imperial Splendour offers improved AI (through a sub-mod), better realism and more differences between factions (more variety in unit rosters and unique technology trees for factions), among other features. It's in Hosted Mods.

- Bran's Empire Campaign AI takes the improved AI which Bran Mac Born developed as sub-mod for Darthmod and offers those improvements for players of the vanilla (unmodified) game). If you are happy with the game vanilla generally (or prefer to use mods which you have made to improve the game) and want better campaign and battle AI, this mod offers you the benefits of a huge amount of modding work by Bran Mac Born. You'll find this mod in Mod Threads, in the Gameplay Tweaks section.

Whichever mod you choose for improved AI, you can also use Bran Mac Born's Preferences Setting for Better AI behaviour, here.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 05, 2015 at 01:40 AM.

Joseon194's Avatar Miles

Does anyone have any mods to suggest for Empire Total War? Any besides Darthmod?
    "This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what you are looking for. All of the major mods with forums are good, but they may not be what you are looking for. There are also smaller mids too.