Thread: Battlemapmountains look white

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

Default Battlemapmountains look white

Hi,
    i changed the sky´s some time ago and now the backgroundmountains look white or strange coloured. is there a way to fix this back to "normal"?

(for example: look at the mountains in the background)

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Battlemapmountains look white

I have not bothered before with battle map textures but I am willing to try out a couple of things.
    I need you to tell me which files you modified.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have a vague memory connecting it to the geography files somehow. Wilddog or makanyane in the ITWE forum might be able to shed light on that.

i think it has something to do with the fogvalue. somehow the fog praticals turn white and don´t get transparent, so they overlap the background.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    i think it has something to do with the fogvalue. somehow the fog praticals turn white and don´t get transparent, so they overlap the background.
    There is no fog in that picture.
    Which files did you modify?

The colour on the mountains does look like the 'fog' it's just that it's a long way out so you're not seeing it elsewhere.
    The fog distance is set in the weather_db.xml file, if you know which weather condition it is (which you need to know to adjust anything) then you can change the min and max settings out far enough that you should be able to see the underlying colour of the mountain without any fog, that 'no fog' type of setting should then be fine for any really sunny looking weather conditions like your pic.

Simplest way of testing/adjusting a weather condition is by finding a custom/battle location you know is in 'x' climate and then temporarily adjusting the weather db so that 'x' climate only ever uses the one weather condition you want to check, otherwise it's hard to tell if you're viewing your changes or not....

For conditions where you do actually want a fog colour in the distance, like stormy skies; then note that the weather_db file condition calls both your new sky textures and also the .lighting file, the reference for the .lighting file will be something like;
    <lighting data="globallighting/daytime_light.lighting"/>
    Download IWTE.exe and edit data/globalighting/"daytime_light.lighting" using 'specials' tab and 'edit lighting files' adjust the 'distance RGB' values of the fog to suit something that blends in better with your sky colours... click 'OK' and IWTE will save a daytime_light_wd.lighting file - put that in equivalent place in your modfolder and adjust that file name or use it in your mods weather_db file so it replaces the original for that condition (you might not want the same lighting file for all of the conditions that originally used it)

also note the above bit about how to test as it'll probably take a while of trial and error to fix it to something that looks OK...

(if, when you extend the fog distance, you find the mountains are black then you have this issue;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13835376
    and you do need to adjust/re-build the geography_db using IWTE instead of the rebuild from text option)

Great!
    Will try this asap