Thread: A question about infantry charges

Default A question about infantry charges

Is an infantry charge supposed to kill enemies like cavalry units or are they do deliver a heavy hit to the enemy units morale? Because I'm quite baffled at how my infantry never seems to kill while they are charging, even for the barbarian units with the "powerful charge" description.

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: A question about infantry charges

A charge simply add a certain amount of "moment" to the immediate attack (in normal units like 2-8 points, powerful charge usually has an higher range) making said attack more deadly. Obviously, charge or not, if the enemy is better armored you will have an hard time anyway.
    But if you aren charging the front of the roman troops with germans of celts you'd betted do it with super elite troops or you will not have a snowball chance in hell.
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryoga84 View Post
    A charge simply add a certain amount of "moment" to the immediate attack (in normal units like 2-8 points, powerful charge usually has an higher range) making said attack more deadly. Obviously, charge or not, if the enemy is better armored you will have an hard time anyway.
    But if you aren charging the front of the roman troops with germans of celts you'd betted do it with super elite troops or you will not have a snowball chance in hell.
    Thank you for the information.

I got the Idea het charge of inf is broken, I never seems to help me even with charges from the back.
    Living in the Netherland but am a Frisian the noblest of Germans. NOW playing SAI Julian campaign, http://www.unihorn.nl
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, Isaac Asimov
    F@ck de massa, grijp de Kassa, Bas Hoorn 2009

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesii View Post
    I got the Idea het charge of inf is broken, I never seems to help me even with charges from the back.

Not sure if it is broken, the general feeling of the mod is that battles tend to last longer. That means units does not break to easy. Which is a matter of personal preference, if one like or not.

If the units that are charged are exhausted there is a high chance that they are going to break, flanked or not. Thing is to always tire your opponent and fight in defensive stance then baaam. Though i have not played EB in any other way i might have missed something out. That is with infantry just to be clear.

Bohz's Avatar Libertus

Inf charges works just fine. At least, with ALE.exe.
    As already correctly pointed out, its a matter of morale (and "momentum"). A prefectly lead charge has two main effects:
    - it "pushes" back the opposing enemy (i.e., increase the "mass" value of your troops for a short period);
    - decrease enemy morale.

Once I ordered my hastati manipoli (with full stamina) to charge from a higher ground a full line of (tired) libyan spearmen = enemy line collapsed in a few seconds.
    It's just a matter of timing and considering your chances.

But be carefull, because charging has a few cons.
    E.g., while charging, your troops suffer higher losses from missiles attack and a huge stamina hit. Plus, if they meet a fierce resistence (for exemple, if they charge a up-hill pezetairoi phalanx), they can be routed as soon as they clash with the enemy.