Thread: Do you complete a game before moving onto the next one?

Default Do you complete a game before moving onto the next one?

This is mainly directed towards RPG games like Baldur's Gate/Netherwinter Nights and Mass Effect/Dragon Age etc.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you complete a game before moving onto the next one?

Oh god, no. I still haven't beaten GTA IV
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

It depends on the game and how my real life is going.
    If I'm having a busy time and a game has a deep story, I'll wait until I have a good solid day or nothing before sitting down to play it.

I've taken a few days off of playing Witcher 3 because I've had a lot on my mind, so I've been playing Crusader Kings 2, since I can pause, save and quit it at any time without worrying about losing the story.

I have played almost every major (and some not so) RPGs released during the past 10 - 15 years. I have only finished -

KOTOR 1 & 2 (twice each)
    Mass Effect 2
    Dragon Age 1,2 & 3
    Witcher 3
    Jeanne d'Arc
    Tactics Ogre
    New XCOM (twice)
    UFO Afterlight
    Mount & Blade Warband (120+ hours, ruler of half the Calradia, I consider that complete)
    Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, Banner Saga and several other small RPGs like that, but those are not what this thread is about.

And I do plan finish these by 2016 may be - Valkyria Chronicles, Wasteland 2 (waiting for enhanced release), Divinity Original Sin (same)
    Last edited by prithupaul; July 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well neverwinter nights cant really be finished since its multiplayer roleplaying often in persistent worlds.
    While its one of my favorite games, I never finished the main campaign though, it lost pace in the second chapter and just couldnt compete with the online experience.

Generally I tend to finish games pretty much in one go when I have them new, but I get more casual in playthroughs after that. I may play the occasional game in between if for example its late and I am tired, and wouldnt be able to keep much attention or when I have little time.

Sadly Mass Effect 3 and now DA Inquisition let me down though. Both managed to make me completely lose interest in the story. Mass Effect 3 due to the rediculous plot where you need to take your time and gather support to protect a world thats instantly overrun so should be considered lost already, and Inquisition due to the snailcrawl pace you are forced to take to level up and be strong enough for the story. Sure its a neat world, but the combat looks terrible compared to earlier Bioware games. Animations are just silly which takes me out of it. Player character also acts like a dead fish.

But I did play through many others in pretty much one go. Only when stuck I tend to leave it alone a bit and either finish it later or simply not being able to finish it or grow too frustrated to care about finishing it.
    I never finished the first Halo game for example due to the very annoying final mission where you are on time and have to race a warthog through tunnels while getting shot at. If you only flip over once you cant make it.
    GTA V is also the first GTA game I actually finished since they all tend to have some broken mission that just cant be done, at least not by me.
    IN San Andreas it was the mission where your fat buddy has to shoot people off a train, but he cant shoot. And you cant shoot that well while riding that bike yourself either. Entire game seems to focus on frustratingly terrible NPC's who you need to keep alive.
    IN GTA IV it was some chase mission where I had to catch a car and it simply couldnt be done. Tires seemed bulletproof, was lots of traffic and it just was not possible to me.
    Also couldnt finish Assasin's Creed 3 due to the dumb sailing gimmick that did not work at all for me. And I just didnt care about finishing it, the story wasnt that interesting.

I'm quite proud of being able to beat Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 without any online help or such though. Figured that out all on my own and there where some very difficult missions there. But I felt challenged by them. For me that doesnt always happen with a game. Mostly I dont care about a challenge since I am not very competitive at all, but some games can bring it out in me.

Other ones that I found very challenging that I managed to beat where Super Mario world but mostly the special road was the challenge, Super Mario World 2 I also managed to beat, recently X-Com: enemy within, I beat Donkey Kong country 1 and 3 (the boss in the second one I couldnt beat), And thats pretty much all the noteable ones I think.

Well maybe X-com not as much since I had a very powerfull team.. my support guy moved forward to reveal the final boss who spawned henchmen, and due to squadsight and double tap my Sniper who shot 100% accurate at practicly anything took him out single handedly straight after that, there was no fight since that ended the game.

Thanks for the comments, interesting to hear you're views and stories.

Sadly I finish very, very few games. It's down to a couple of things - I have an extremely short attention span with just about any game that has an ending. Give me a good grand strategy game and I can easily sink 1000 hours into it, but even though I still consider RPGs to be among my very favourite genres I very rarely finish them. Either I mod them so much that by the time I start to play them something else has caught my interest, or I just get bored of the characters/setting. On the off-chance it turns out to be a game I absolutely love, sometimes I don't finish it because I (partly subconsciously) know that if I do I won't have an excuse to play it again.

I sank countless hours into the Baldur's Gate series in my teens. Hundreds at least. Started and played them to near the end many times, but never finished either of them. I did manage to finish Planescape: Torment (an absolute masterpiece by the way), but only once and honestly it left me with an empty feeling for the reason I described above - I knew I'd probably never play it again afterwards.

I guess I'm a bit of a weirdo.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Depends, sometime I rush through a story and love it all, and other times I start and then stop half-way through.

Although, I just finished KOTOR 1 after basically playing only that, and now I'm on 2. I guess I'm in one of those great moods where I'll actually finish the games I'm playing.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well recently I have started to really play Skyrim again with a character for who it works that they persue all kinds of questlines, I plan to really finish most of it.

Claudius Mortis started out as one of the sons of a wealthy Cyrodill family who was spending his days gambling, bedding women and getting in trouble. Eventually he had to flee Cyrodill due to being cast out by his parents, so he moved to Skyrim to become a bard.
    Being disillusioned by this when they just treat him like an errand boy instead of actually letting him play music, and requiring money to support his swanky lifestyle, he becomes a thief and eventually finds his way to the thieves guild.
    Once finished with that he joined the companions but isnt very interested in doing much there yet, he is too selfish to really be a companion.

He is quite a bad guy at the moment and will likely end up with the dark brotherhood, and either before, after or simultaniously might join the mages guild in persuit of power. But afterwards he might change his ways and truly start helping people in the world more, truly become a companion and may become the dragonborn and through events may pick a side in the war as well. I kind of plan for him to first be quite dark, but later find redemption.

I also love how the appearance customiser can help with that. He started out in simple clothes with a short imperial haircut, but I changed to something a bit longer when he became a thief, and now that he is going very dark he is clean shaven with very long blonde hair hanging over his full set of daedric armor.
    But if he'd change his ways I can change his hairstyle to make him look more sympathedic again. Maybe let him grow a beard and have braids in his hair if he'd grow fond of the land of Skyrim and its people.

I'm using a mod with random starting positions that lets you choose a class which determines your starting equipment though.

Aside from this I am also playing through age of mythology again and am in the final level. Took me a few weeks since I do play other games, but its fun. Planning to continue with the Atlantean campaign after that.

If im really enjoying this new game, i'll always finish it before moving on to other games. But i play very little new games, If its not rpg (bethesda bioware obsidian and taleworlds), WW2 or grand strategy from Paradox, i usually am not anticipating it. Just look on the next couple of years (and the remaining of this one), only games im really anticipating are Traction Wars (ww2), Bannerlord and Mass Effect Andromeda (despite all the )
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR