Thread: mods and garrison script

atila9000's Avatar Decanus

Default mods and garrison script

hi everyone, im pretty sure that these things have been asked hundreds of times, bbut here we go again.
    how do you remove the garrison script? do you recommend doing it?
    and the other thing, which is the best mod out there?
    LOS PIOJOS
    TODO LO DEMAS NO ES NADA

ROCK NACIONAL

Default Re: mods and garrison script

M2TW/mods/Third_Age/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt
    Find the line that says
    ;#################### Garrison Script Version 1.3 #####################
    Remove everything below it until you find the line that says
    ;########################### MONEY SCRIPT ##############################
    Save the file and you're done!
    As for removing it: it's up to you. It definitely makes things more challenging, since it's easy to knock a major faction out by just rolling up to their capital and grabbing/sacking it with a small handful of troops without the script (Angmar, Harad, Rhun).
    It does feel pretty cheap sometimes, though, when you've fought a major battle outside their capital, then move in to capture it with your broken troops, and find they've got a giant garrison all of a sudden.

It's up to you really.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I would never ever remove it, partly because of challenge, but more because without it the game balance is tossed out the window hehe.
    Some factions will get eradicated fairly soon and other grow massive much earlier than would otherwise be the case.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

prff those pesky hardcore players ...

jokes aside, apart from removing the GS manually for vanilla TATW, MOS submod offers the chance to remove the GS automatically at the beginning of a new campaing, while DAC submod has a new interesting "dinamic garrison script" that works for players too and offers some new interesting strategic alternatives. I don't have clues about other submods sorry.

hope that helps
    Last edited by Flinn; July 27, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

atila9000's Avatar Decanus

and which mod do you recommend the most, MOS or DAC?
    LOS PIOJOS
    TODO LO DEMAS NO ES NADA

ROCK NACIONAL

Blog Entries

both are awesome, MOS is more a sort of harder and more bastard () son of TATW, while DAC offers different stuff (more factions, more units, different GS, etc);

I'm sorry, but it's hard to tell which one can be better of the two, because it is subjective; personally I like both, but I play MOS when I want to have a hard challange (plenty of optional scripts to make the day even harder) and DAC when I want to try or experience something new.
    I regret to inform you that the only way to know which one you would prefer, is to download and try both and decide for yourself.. then if you really want to stop to have a RL, there is still plenty of others to try, like Frogs, or PCP or Leo's unofficial, just to mention the most renown. You can check here for some more details

cheers dude, take it easy in any case
    Last edited by Flinn; July 27, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

You can have both at the same time: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...erent-submods)

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Some factions will get eradicated fairly soon and other grow massive much earlier than would otherwise be the case.
    Does that mean AI vs AI sieges also have the garrison script?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EllEzDee View Post
    Does that mean AI vs AI sieges also have the garrison script?
    yes, absolutely.

I don't use a garrison script in my mod, it was one of the first things I removed. There are multiple ways to encourage the AI to garrison settlements better. Also if you want a garrison script but not as hardcore you can change the units that spawn to only tier 1 units instead of higher tiers, or lower the number of units that spawn. This should keep the battles fun.

If you want a campaign that has similar gameplay to vanilla TATW than MOS, DAC, FROME, Leo's Patch seem to be the most popular. Which one is better you have to find out yourself since no one here knows what you like, and that is the real question; which will you like more? I haven't played any of them so I am not much help. Giving some details on what you are looking for in a campaign would help others give suggestions though.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 27, 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Also if you want a garrison script but not as hardcore you can change the units that spawn to only tier 1 units instead of higher tiers, or lower the number of units that spawn. This should keep the battles fun.
    DAC's garrison script is very much like this (at least it was so last time I tried the mod); I don't like much the high tier unit spam of the standard GS, but I understand the logic behind: originally balancing the Vanilla TATW was probably a very hard job (in particular trying to maintain an outcome that could stick with lore must have been a nightmare), therefore in lack of quicker valid alternative I guess they made the GS spam a hard nut to crack.

For how I see it anyway, GS is perfectly fine even from the point of view of logic (I mean, people would try to defend their dwellings, in a way or another), while I found very annoying and little realistic the dread stacks spam.