Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Kite Pèp Mwen An Ale: Let My People Go (Haiti AAR) [updated March 6, 2016]

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Kite Pèp Mwen An Ale: Let My People Go (Haiti AAR) [updated March 6, 2016]

That's a good question, Johnadiw26. It's bound to have some kind of effect, isn't it?

I really liked that chapter, Alwyn. I thought your revelation of when exactly Jean-Paul cried worked very well right at the end of the chapter, and you made it a very convincing moment. I am relieved to hear that Jean-Paul and his mum (and Lamarck) have escaped de Vimeur's men so far. I don't imagine their life is going to be very easy from now on, though.

Default Re: Kite Pèp Mwen An Ale: Let My People Go (Haiti AAR) [updated March 6, 2016]

That chapter is really nice! I read the last paragraph twice because it's so stunning, but I can't really point out why ! I can't wait to learn about what happens next. Their life isn't going to be easy, I guess ( was it in the first place?) .

wow a graeat aar of pirates and buccanears and heartless nobles and rebels........................
    great aar
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Decanus

I had already been reading through this, what seems ages ago.
    I must say I'm impressed. The amount of historical detail is just...so incredibly satisfying. I like the fact you're prepared to show the racist views of XVIIIth Century people, when most writers would suppress these. Or, at least, would present them through the actions of villains. I also appreciated the introduction of Lamarck as a POV character (a particularly prestigious one, I must say!) and, well, De Bellecombe's death. It just feels real when heroes aren't allowed to triumph; life isn't fair at all.

It seems this has stopped quite some time ago. I'd be extremely pleased to read more of it, though!

Ah the smoothness of this aar does not end .How great is the transition between your chapters .At the moment its my favourite aar .Though at some points you tend to go very slow .But i am sure its just me .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

I reread this aar, still amazing as ussual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I am very pleased that a pic from this was used for inspiration on the Tale of the Week 290. With the links, I came here for a great read. Sad this ended, but whether complete or not it is well worth a read.

I also remember some cardboard counter board games used to allow the naval guns to be used on land in the Caribbean as Alwyn did here. Brings back some memories. I think one of the games was by Francis Tresham and called Spanish Main, though sadly even wiki does not have a link to the game. The research is impressive. That alone makes this worth a read.

I simply cannot say enough about the quality of this AAR from 4 years ago.

Damn I thought that because of the date you would have finished it. Regardless, It is very interesting to read the entirely different tone and voice than New Town, due to its different setting and time. I adore that you chose to write about a relatively little known nation. Of course most of us learnt a very brief history of Haiti's revolt and toussaint l’ouverture but thats it. I really like that you were inspired by Dune, as well. I love when things inspire things not necessarily related. I hope you return to this and render this tale not so bleak an ending.

When I read the 12 chapter and remembering the Dune references, I was like, oh boy. he dead. He dead dead dead. But Mua... Err... Jean-Paul shall avenge his father!

Yor AARs are like an explosion of information delivered in a very accessible and neat format, I dig the backgrounds of the different people and man there's a lot of Dune lore in this one!

Like others here, I hope you might get your hands on this AAR again!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks for your kind comments, and welcome to TWC DavidBN! I enjoyed combining a re-telling of Haiti's campaign for independence with a version of the Dune story. (I might return to this at some point, although at the moment I'm having fun with my Skaven AAR.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234