Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Draw

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Draw

Which ones?

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

The problem with Argentina is psychological. Also, the management at the FA is bipolar. Let's see, this millennium alone, after Maradona retired: Bielsa-Pekerman-Basile-Maradona-Batista-Sabella-Martino-Bauza. They have no idea what type of football they want. Evena fter the neurotic dictator Grondona finally died there's still nobody who's competent there.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Which ones?
    Its Argentina.....

I like especialy Gaintan. But you have Di maria, you have aguero etc.

Potencialy they have players who can unbalance any game.

Whenever they are in form or not, that is another story.

The problem with Argentina is psychological. Also, the management at the FA is bipolar. Let's see, this millennium alone, after Maradona retired: Bielsa-Pekerman-Basile-Maradona-Batista-Sabella-Martino-Bauza. They have no idea what type of football they want. Evena fter the neurotic dictator Grondona finally died there's still nobody who's competent there.
    That is a good point.

None of them is on Messi's level. And Aguero? Really?

Would you prefer Higuaín? Agüero bottled it against Paraguay with that penalty.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!

People complaining about Aguero and Higuain when in Italy we have to choose between Pellè, Zaza, Immobile and god knows who else......

Sigh. Thank god the next gen looks better.

As they say here, God gives bread to the toothless. The only country where people don't think Messi-Higuaín-Agüero is a star lineup is Argentina.

btw does Immobile live up to his name? I've always thought that it was a highly ironic name for a footballer to have.
    СИНДИКАТ!

He actually does very well in Serie A.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    None of them is on Messi's level. And Aguero? Really?
    retarded logic, to expect anyone to be on his level...... tell me a player who is on messi level anyway?
    Ronaldo maybe.. but it is a different kind of player so i dont like it to compare.
    And please dont say Neymar...
    because he isnt on messi level. The point is there arent none. what a hell messi is messi...
    regardless they dont need to be all on messi level to be a dangerous,and sucessfull team. Germany hasnt anyone on messi level in my opinion.. and well they are world champions.

What i said stands. The players i mention, are still be able to unbalance any game.
    Moments of form putting aside, of course.

And Aguero realy? on a good form.. yes realy.

Would you prefer Higuaín? Agüero bottled it against Paraguay with that penalty.
    So he missed a penalty... big deal. So did Messi.

I dont think that is the issue. Anyway.

They have the eggs, but they need to come up with an omollete, is that simple. But they need to have a good coach for that.

People complaining about Aguero and Higuain when in Italy we have to choose between Pellè, Zaza, Immobile and god knows who else......

Sigh. Thank god the next gen looks better.
    I can say the future of Portuguese team, looks somewhat bright on the next gen is concerned as well. Maybe only in cB spots we might need new blood soon. But im liking the new kids on the block apearing atm.

Gelson martins specialy. joao cancelo, Andre silva, Rui Pedro, Diogo jota, Goncalo guedes, Ruben neves etc. All interesting prospects.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 17, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    He actually does very well in Serie A.
    Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    They have the eggs, but they need to come up with an omollete, is that simple. But they need to have a good coach for that.
    Well, AFA made as much as they could to make Martino leave. Their management is clueless regarding football.
    СИНДИКАТ!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Lol, Blind opted for a 17 year old lad who played 5 games for Ajax this season at CB which of course ended in disaster so now the Dutch team can work towards Euro 2020. Perhaps they could frame it as a boycot of the Russia WC although I'd say that making the Russians watch this awful Dutch team is a far more severe sanction.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What a shameful performance by Slovenia against Scotland. I don't know what went wrong, the team was the same as the one that outplayed England a few months ago, but this was the worst I've seen Slovenia play.

Only four points after 4 matches for the US-team:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_F...AF_Fifth_Round

And Argentina without Messi, as I said before in this thread, sucks. Just got beaten by the second-to-last in the South American qualifiers, Bolivia. Considering he's out for 3 more matches, there's a reasonable chance Argentina will be out of the next WC.

Meanwhile, Brazil just won its 8th match in a row, and is already qualified 4 matches before the end. Just hand us that trophy already.

You don't get a trophy for finishing first in the qualifying tournament.
    СИНДИКАТ!

I was referring to the Cup itself. And it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Lol, Blind opted for a 17 year old lad who played 5 games for Ajax this season at CB which of course ended in disaster so now the Dutch team can work towards Euro 2020. Perhaps they could frame it as a boycot of the Russia WC although I'd say that making the Russians watch this awful Dutch team is a far more severe sanction.
    I watched the highlights of Netherlands-Italy, the Dutch defense is abysimal.

I get that the Dutch school is mostly offensive football, but that one is mediocre right now, while behind it's a nightmare.

I watched the highlights of Netherlands-Italy, the Dutch defense is abysimal.

I get that the Dutch school is mostly offensive football, but that one is mediocre right now, while behind it's a nightmare.
    Well, the first three choices for centre back (Van Dijk, Bruma and De Vrij) were all injured, Tete definitely isn't the first choice right back and Blind is a pretty awful left back. As for the goalkeeper there isn't really a big star. Zoet is pretty average, Krul is in abysmal form, Vermeer is just returning from injury and not that special either.That leaves benchwarmers Vorm and Cillessen (and perhaps Stekelenburg but I think he blew his second chance).

I'm actually more shocked by the midfield performance, Strootman and Wijnaldum, and to a lesser extent Klaassen of whom I'm not a great fan, were shockingly bad. To end on a positive note, Memphis looked decent and lively.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; March 30, 2017 at 07:35 AM.

Martins Indi is also pretty bad. He was a great prospect a few years ago, but he's a nightmare when defending.

Klaassen at this point is a disappointment. He was supposed to be the next breakout star, he's ok at best.

Quite shocking that the Netherlands which always had a great youth system is suffering from a poor generation.

Martins Indi is also pretty bad. He was a great prospect a few years ago, but he's a nightmare when defending.

Klaassen at this point is a disappointment. He was supposed to be the next breakout star, he's ok at best.

Quite shocking that the Netherlands which always had a great youth system is suffering from a poor generation.
    There's no world class players breaking through at the moment but the current generation is not as bad as the dutch media is portraying it to be. The players we have should still fairly easily qualify for a EC and WC, they just won't impress much when there so it'd be more like the average English tournament performance.
    Indi has his moments, both good and bad, I don't see him as a very reliable defender unless in excellent form. Van Dijk and De Vrij would have my preference. Like I said I'm not a great fan of Klaassen, the guy obviously has some talent but he's definitely no world class no. 10. I don't really see him as a number 10 at all actually, he's much better used as a runner. So more in a box-to-box role, making runs into the box. In this he is however similar to Wijnaldum, who I'd generally rate higher, so he'd have to go in favour of a more creative player. In this midfield it isn't clear who is supposed to do what, neither of the three of Strootman, Wijnaldum and Klaassen is a defensive midfielder, neither is a massively creative one so we're stuck with 3 men who can run. Not much is going to come out of that so put Sneijder back in, call up de Jong again and possibly switch to 4 players on midfield. There isn't much up front, a few wingers who haven't impressed (Depay was ok, rest was not, Robben is injury prone and played a terrible game against Bulgaria) and no striker of high calibre. Dost is the top scorer in the Portuguese league but has so far not impressed in the national team against teams like Luxembourg and Bulgaria, partly because of a lack of crosses. Janssen isn't doing great (or anything much really) at Tottenham but was ok for the national team, van Persie hasn't been called up in a while. It might be an idea to switch to 2 strikers in a more mobile squad, latter is definitely needed as the current dutch playstyle is both predictable and ineffective.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast