Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Draw

Default Re: World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - Draw

They are good teams, but potential winner? Those are the usual suspects.

I recall a lot of people saying some of those teams would probably win it, playing like they were playing that is....

Of course on the theory of the matter none of them are ever contenders for what that is worth anyway...

Germany wasnt able to beat Poland, Wales completely routed a team considered by a lot of theorists among the best ( belgium) wich i never realy understood fully that permise.
    ( they have some good players i give you that, but thats it) Belgium is a Very Overated national team, with of course average results in competitions.
    Croatia was playing great football, and won with Spain if im not mistaken...

Also i would like to point out Portugal has been consistently in the last decade being present in the later stages (usualy semi finals) of every major competition.
    Exception being in 2014.
    In insight isnt that suprising what they achieved imo.

At anycase my point is to not understimate those teams, especialy in this World Cup, with has already seen some historics, and good teams already out of the competition.

Argentina for instance was close....
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; November 28, 2017 at 03:57 PM.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Group A
    Russia
    Saudi-Arabia
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Group B
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

Group C
    France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    South Korea

Group G
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunesia
    England

Group H
    Poland
    Senegal
    Colombia
    Japan

Group A: That one is so damn easy, Russia might actually reach the next round despite how weak its team is right now.
    Group B: Dominated by Spain and Portugal, no discussion on that one.
    Group C: France will become first easily, second spot is completely open.
    Grouß D: Same, though Croatia has probably the most chances to become second after Argentina, albeit that depends on the mode of Nigeria.
    Group E: First will be Brazil, second will be Switzerland or Sebia, unless CR surprise like they did in Brazil.
    Group F: Germany first, Mexico probably second.
    Group G: Belgium first, England second.
    Group H: Colombia first, Lewandowski second.

Lol Russia got a cheesy path. Let's see if they manage to that up too.

Group B is the Western Mediterrean plus Persians. France should pass easily. D end E aren't that easy. F depends on how good S. Korea is, they can be trouble. H is the second weakest.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; December 01, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Group A is really poor, group H isn't all that spectacular either in terms of names but the teams are at least decent. A shame for Morocco they drew both Spain and Portugal as they have quite a nice team. Most of the other pools have a fairly obvious first team but second spot is somewhat open in all but G.

Group A
    Russia
    Saudi Arabia
    Egypt
    Uruguay

Russia should finish in the top 2. I am not so sure they will win the group. The positive in this group is Uruguay; at least they finish second. Saudis were ok in qualifying and Egypt qualified out of the weakest group in Africa.

Group B
    Portugal
    Spain
    Morocco
    Iran

Morocco beat Cote d'Ivoire in Abidjan to qualify, so they are no slouch. Either Portugal or Spain will win the group, but the other may be victimized.

Group C
    France
    Australia
    Peru
    Denmark

France should win the group which means they will struggle to win the group. The Danes and Aussies will battle for second.

Group D
    Argentina
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Nigeria

Argentina had a rather unimpressive qualifying campaign. This is probably the worse group to have given the rest of group thrive on being the underdog. I am looking forward to the Iceland-Croatia match. Nigeria won a group with traditionally stronger than average teams and Cameroon are usually a tough win for anyone in Africa. I will say this is an open group.

Group E
    Brazil
    Switzerland
    Costa Rica
    Serbia

CONCACAF is possible the weakest it has been. Brazil still the class. Serbia won one of the weakest European groups and Switzerland edged out Ireland. Serbia and Swiss should compete for two unless Ticos manage to get a sneaky goal or two.

Group F
    Germany
    Mexico
    Sweden
    South Korea

Germany gets it done. Sweden is a strong and this is the weakest Mexican team to make it to a World Cup. Mexico in recent history have always make it out of its group. I would not be surprise to see them finish dead last.

Group G
    Belgium
    Panama
    Tunisia
    England

I do not expect much from Panama. Belgium and England should finish one and two, but that is only because I do not know what to expect from Tunisia.

Group H
    Poland
    Senegal
    Colombia
    Japan

Another competitive group. Poland should finish first. Japan teases us a lot, but always seem to fail. Senegal always plays gutsy. Colombia a tough team. Another open and intriguing group.
    Last edited by PikeStance; December 01, 2017 at 03:43 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Russia is an absolute trash side, Egypt at least has Salah's individual class to rely on. The Danes are a class or two above Australia, Peru isn't worse than the latter either I think so I'd go Danes but an upset is possible in this group. Sweden really isn't that strong, they were quite poor against the Netherlands and managed to effectively park the bus against an uninspired Italy. Forsberg is a class guy and they have physical strength and consistency but they're consistently mediocre. Mexico on the other hand I look quite forward to, they always have passion and they're quite an experienced side with some exciting players. I think Sweden might give Germany a harder time than they give Mexico, seeing as the Germans are clear favourites and like to play the possession game whereas the odds are a bit more even against Mexico and players like Lozano can be a real pain for the defense, certainly if you're not parked around your own defensive area. I also don't think Poland should finish first, they aren't an awful lot stronger than Colombia (if at all) and the other two games aren't easy either. For the rest I largely agree with your analysis though.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; December 01, 2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo(o)s

Interesting thoughts!

The two confederations i was able to watch the most is Asia and the Americas.
    Iran was actually the most consistent performers other than Japan. I will be shocked if Korea does much in this tournament but make a good showing. Japan and Iran have enough to compete. Iran is in a tough group.
    I am really not that impress with Mexico. In years pass, they were as you described. I don't know if you will get that. Mexico always seems to sow up to the world cup, so who knows. If hey do, then Group F would be an interesting group to watch.
    Groups B, D H seems like the most interesting groups to watch. Group A is intriguing because it is one of those groups where no one excites you until they excite you. Group F has a real shot at being a dud... If Mexico do not show up, Sweden plays like an overrated team and Korea plays as lackluster as some of their qualifiers, then it will be a bore watching Germany float to the top. (When I think of Sweden I still think of them as that team in 1994... very fun to watch.

Gonna throw in the first two by group

A) Uruguay, Russia
    B) Spain, Portugal
    C) France, Denmark
    D) Argentina, Iceland
    E) Brazil, Serbia
    F) Germany, Mexico
    G) Belgium, England
    H) Colombia, Poland

There will be 2-3 surprises but it's really hard to predict who's going to have the great month of their lives next June, so I'm going with the most likely. This time it's in Europe, so European teams won't struggle because of the heat unlike many recent editions, while I expect others, especially the Africans to fare worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    There will be 2-3 surprises but it's really hard to predict who's going to have the great month of their lives next June, so I'm going with the most likely. This time it's in Europe, so European teams won't struggle because of the heat unlike many recent editions, while I expect others, especially the Africans to fare worse.
    I do not think that Europeans have ever "struggled" in the heat. Since 1990 There have been 7 World Cups. There have only been two played in Hot climates; USA 94 and Brazil 14. South Africa is in the southern hemisphere and therefore it was not the summer months. Brazil also had one city in which the conditions were similar to Europe. In the US, the darlings of the 94 World Cup that year were three Europeans teams; Bulgaria, Romania, and Sweden. The two worse performing world cup for Europe was in one temperate climate and one tropical climate. There were just 6 Europeans teams in the round of 16. However, the QF, there were 3 and 4 (all places) respectively. In the SF it was 3 and 2. In tropical climate a European team won the WC as well as in the temperate climate.

Europeans struggling seems to be a myth in the making or a good ole fashion excuse.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1990 - Italy
    Rd16: 10
    QF: 6
    SF: 3
    F: 1

1994 - USA
    QF: 7
    F: 1 (Winner: Brazil)

1998 = France
    F: 1 (Winner: France)

2002 - Korea/ Japan
    Rd16: 8
    QF: 3
    SF: 1
    F: 1 (Winner: Brazil)

2006 - Germany
    SF: 4
    F: 2 (Winner: Italy)

2010 - South Africa
    Rd16: 6
    QF: 3
    F: 2 (Winner: Spain)

2014 - Brazil
    Rd16: 6
    QF: 4
    SF: 2
    F: 1 (Winner: Germany

If you look at the Rd 16 however:

Temperate climates in Italy, France, Germany, Korea/Japan: 10, 10, 10, 8, note that the first 3 hosts are European, so European teams did perform better .... in Europe.

Tropical climates in South Africa and Brazil: 6 and 6 and none of those hosts are Europeans of course.

USA had a deadly boiling final, but the tournament itself was spread around, unless you want to tell me Chicago, Foxborough MA, Pontiac MI, East Rutherfod NJ and Washington DC were ''hot''.

I'd say there's a clear difference.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; December 02, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

Tropical climates in South Africa and Brazil: 6 and 6 and none of those hosts are Europeans of course.
    I am afraid not; South Africa is mainly a temperate Zone in which the western portion is arid. The World ciup also took place during the winter months in the country.

Temperate climates in Italy, France, Germany, Korea/Japan: 10, 10, 10, 8, note that the first 3 hosts are European, so European teams did perform better .... in Europe.
    A more accurate interpretation would suggest that Europe is no longer dominating the tournament. I guess we will see in Russia.

USA had a deadly boiling final, but the tournament itself was spread around, unless you want to tell me Chicago, Foxborough MA, Pontiac MI, East Rutherfod NJ and Washington DC were ''hot''.
    I am going to guess you were not the age of the majority in 1994. One, Washington can get really. 2. The games were played during the hottest parts of the day. I distinctly remember the broadcasters making a big deal of the heat when Germany played Bolivia in Chicago. 3. The players complained bitterly that the dome in Pontiac was really hot and stuffy. The only game I can remember when it wasn't hot was when Argentina played Nigeria. I believe it was raining a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I am afraid not; South Africa is mainly a temperate Zone in which the western portion is arid. The World ciup also took place during the winter months in the country.
    You are right on this one.
    A more accurate interpretation would suggest that Europe is no longer dominating the tournament. I guess we will see in Russia.
    I disagree with the premise, nonetheless yes, we'll see what happens in Russia. If 10 European teams or so make it thorough the group, then I might have a point.

I am going to guess you were not the age of the majority in 1994. One, Washington can get really. 2. The games were played during the hottest parts of the day. I distinctly remember the broadcasters making a big deal of the heat when Germany played Bolivia in Chicago. 3. The players complained bitterly that the dome in Pontiac was really hot and stuffy. The only game I can remember when it wasn't hot was when Argentina played Nigeria. I believe it was raining a little bit.
    I was a kid and it's the oldest World Cup I remember something about. Limited memories though.

Nonetheless, it was summer, so it's hard to claim it was ''cold'' and it was never my intention. Summer in Pontiac however isn't the same as summer in California. I live in Italy and summer in Sicily is far hotter than the Milanese one.

Nonetheless, it was summer, so it's hard to claim it was ''cold'' and it was never my intention. Summer in Pontiac however isn't the same as summer in California. I live in Italy and summer in Sicily is far hotter than the Milanese one.
    My point I was trying to make is that games were played during the hottest part of the day (Noon- 4 PM) and most of the games were very hot, especially at ground level. Just a note: The games in Pontiac were played in a Dome, not outdoors. They used real grass which made it less than ideal.

FIFA World Cup 1994

Missed that completely. Thanks for the specification.

Anybody still excited for the World Cup? I'm new to the forum so afraid I missed the ship on this thread. alphasportsbetting.com

Welcome, but it is a bit if lull given the groups came out some time ago and the actual tournament is a ways off.

Every World Cup I run a Score Prediction game, so keep your eyes peeled when I set that up sometime next month.

Again welcome to the forum.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Voted for Spain's Juntos Somos Invencibles. Since Italy isn't in, I'll support my Latin bros.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

It's not a competition. The site is for picking each country's slogan, the winning one will have to be used by said country for the duration of the WC and inscribed on their buss. Problem is that they sound like they were written by 5 year olds. Ex: Imagine Argentina on the move written on Argentina's bus.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 06, 2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast