Thread: How to kill the Huns?

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Default How to kill the Huns?

Hey guys!
    I am currently playing Attila with a friend of mine Koop. He plays the Francs and I play the Saxons. We become big and rich kingdoms but when the Huns hit us it was very hard.
    The just came with 10 hordes. When we killed 8 or more of them 5 more spawnend in the east.
    I own the Germano-Sarmatia Province and that is where they seem to spawn, or maybe they spawn in Hyperborea. So, we didn´t get rid of the Huns and Attila, who could not be killed by any spy btw.
    Now we paid him (I paid ~7500, my friend ~13000) and are in peace with the Huns now. But seriously: How would we kill them?
    Fighting with five full armed armies against him and always setting up two more is very hard. Is it even possible to end them?
    In Medieval² it was easy to kill the Mongols, here I don´t know how to do it when they are coming so fast.

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: How to kill the Huns?

So, no one?
    I searched more, more like "how to kill Attila", not killing the Huns (what I thought would be more fitting) and found this in the official forums:
    Quote Originally Posted by Propy
    So I killed Attila yesterday in a nice battle. I got a message that he is dead and the the hordes will start to dissipate. But what does that mean. Will the armies start to loose troops or will they not reinforce them? Would be nice to rebbuild the world again during the last ten or so years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilkatas
    they will stop spawning from the Sarmatian provinces, I sent a spy there to check, the Huns keep spawning during Attila's reign until they have full 14 stacks, you destroy 1 of their stacks, another will replace, right after his death, it stopped spawning.
    Problem is: My friend had already killed Attila in a battle. Or say he destroyed the entire Horde he had with him. And then Attila should´ve been dead or in prison, right? Well, seemd to he didn´t.
    As for this campaign I hope the Huns don´t want to kill us again. Some rounds ago he declared war to the Italiens. Maybe that keeps him busy.
    In the next campaign when my friend and me will be playing the Eastroman Empire and the Sassanids we will have to cope with him again. I am already glad to see this coming...

Each time you kill him, you get a chance to trigger an "only a man" message indicating that the next time he dies, it will be permanent. Until you receive that message, you have to keep killing him in order to get another chance to receive the message. So you have to kill Attila 2 times minimum. On average you have to kill him 4-6 times.
    Last edited by Aeratus; July 27, 2015 at 08:31 AM.

And after Attila dies, the Hun armies no longer respawn so the faction can be defeated.

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Thanks Guys!
    I hope I don´t need this suggestions for the current campaign. But I´m afraid I´ll need it for the next.
    Or have you ever been not attacked by the Huns when you did not play them?

My first two WRE campaigns, I kept peace with the Huns for most of the game. I was surprised, relieved and a little disappointed that the peace lasted. It freed me to rescue ERE from the Sassanids but made the end game anti-climatic.

My third WRE campaign, the Hun leader has a "hates WRE trait" so I guess peace is not on the table. I trashed about half a dozen of their early armies, and now it's around 415, the next wave of Huns is milling around. They don't seem as focussed on attacking me as they could be - they seem to like to lurk on the edges of my lands and on desolated regions - but it is adding to the tension.

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

Anyone experiencing issues finding Attila? I'm at turn 173, have been fighting the huns since game start (destroyed them before Attila came of age, they respawned the next turn regardless), yet have not encountered the man himself. I've had a message saying he'd come of age, but never actually fought an army with Attila (or Bleda, the faction leader) leading it. I must have destroyed 20+ hunnic armies, and am starting to wonder whether this is a bug or something
    Aymez Loyaulté

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

Well, 100% convinced it's a bug. My game appears to be broken, got an unkillable faction that hates me (Y)
    Aymez Loyaulté

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Did you search for him on the diplomatic map? I thought the crown of the Faction is always where he is located..

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

He's not the faction leader. Bleda is. I've had the message saying Attila has come of age etc etc, as stated 173 turns in, but he's not leading the huns. He's not in my game, probably because I killed the huns before he came of age.
    Aymez Loyaulté

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
    He's not the faction leader. Bleda is. I've had the message saying Attila has come of age etc etc, as stated 173 turns in, but he's not leading the huns. He's not in my game, probably because I killed the huns before he came of age.
    Wait, you killed the Huns? You mean you started to kill their armies, right? Killing them I think is not possible before Attila is leader of the Huns.

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

before attila came of age i joined the ere in a war against the huns in an effort to keep the eastern romans alive. 3 armies came close to my borders so ia ttacked and destroyed them in a single turn. on destroying the third army, i got the "faction destroyed - huns" message. the next turn, the huns respawned, but they were no longer at war with anyone, needless to say that quickly changed, but i think the act of beating them so early has screwed the system.
    Aymez Loyaulté

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Ah, I think so too.. Funny bug.
    What wonders me is that they had only 3 armies. I counted 10 last time I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikut View Post
    Thanks Guys!
    I hope I don´t need this suggestions for the current campaign. But I´m afraid I´ll need it for the next.
    Or have you ever been not attacked by the Huns when you did not play them?
    During my last WRE campaign, the Huns never declared war on me--and this is with a "Hates Western Roman Empire" trait. It got so boring that I decided to start a new campaign. In my current campaign, they did declare war, and yeah, their units are tough (primarily because many have morale reduction abilities).

What's really annoying and nonsensical is that their armies have the ability to prevent unit replenishment of other armies they are at war with, if they are in the same region. I have no idea what "historical condition" this is suppose to represent. It's nonsensical and gamey, because even if you can't replenish your existing units, you can still recruit new units (not talking about mercenaries), which makes no sense at all and just seems like one of many things poorly thought out by the developers.
    Last edited by yupper; August 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM.

Nikut's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by yupper View Post
    What's really annoying and nonsensical is that their armies have the ability to prevent unit replenishment of other armies they are at war with, if they are in the same region. I have no idea what "historical condition" this is suppose to represent. It's nonsensical and gamey, because even if you can't replenish your existing units, you can still recruit new units (not talking about mercenaries), which makes no sense at all and just seems like one of many things poorly thought out by the developers.
    I think this is because of the Guerillia Tactics and skirmishes they do with their cavalry. Little groups joining stricken forces can be easier attacked than entire units joining the army.
    But of course an entire unit could theoretically destroyed easily by a horde... so,.. this is just a theory of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikut View Post
    I think this is because of the Guerillia Tactics and skirmishes they do with their cavalry. Little groups joining stricken forces can be easier attacked than entire units joining the army.
    But of course an entire unit could theoretically destroyed easily by a horde... so,.. this is just a theory of me.
    I....don't think I follow you.

What I am saying is that it makes no sense that my existing spearman units can't replenish because there are hostile Hun armies in the region, yet I can still recruit new spearman units in that region. I imagine giving the Huns the ability to prevent the player from replenishing their units in contested regions is a "gamey" thing that the CA developers thought would give the Huns an "edge" (as it slows down how quickly you can revitalize an army in that region). Giving the Huns some sort of edge is all good and fine except the developers didn't really give it much thought, and the aforementioned oversight makes this feature nonsensical in terms of logic.
    Last edited by yupper; August 23, 2015 at 01:19 PM.

The huns have 7-8 full stocks in my gameplay and they just stand in a province of mine and they dont do a thing and this for like milion turns,they wont move!

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

I've just dealt with 8 stacks of Huns in one of my frontier provinces playing as ERE. They also didn't do a thing. They sat there literally until the 430s from near the game opening... I was at peace with them. I ended up declaring war because I was getting a little tired of having to keep half my army in the province with them just in case. It was a tough slog but early on they started to stretch out so I could pick them off in twos and threes. Attilla died in the conflict and I got the "Huns drifting apart" notification so that will be the last of them I imagine.

Now I can free up 4 armies to get down to the real business of restoring the full empire.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM