Thread: Crusader Knights, or not?

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Default Crusader Knights, or not?

I am very much enjoying CHII. at this point, I have been playing a France campaign so far till year 1105or10 {erly era} start.

What I was a little disheartened by was that when the honorable Pope called for Crusade in 1090 only I and Portugal answered the call but what was really a downer is only pilgrims and fanatics were available to me as mercs. Two of my generals armies took up the cross and proceeded to march across Europe and through Balkans then Finally Byzantium before concluding a series of sieges. In all the turns I would have each general make several stops to look into merc pool but after passing into balkans only pilgrims were avail. outside of the area specific standard mercs. Is this common? Is there no Crusader Knights/footmen/spear men to be found in this mod or perhaps none in early era campaign?

I had been playing Stainless Steel 6.4 but due to having game ending campaign crashes in 2 dif instances after 40+ turns each I came upon this mod. I really am liking this mod and with the historicity of it it has been cool to experience but this is a feature, if a feature it truly be, that I like not so well.

If this is mod specific perhaps I cam modify merc pool if I can lookup a post on that.

Any info would be appreciated.

marcp's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Crusader Knights, or not?

So, after a successful Crusade, one in which I was able to gram two more regions off the Turks through threats and arm twisting I had to launch another crusade. As of 4 turns since his holiness called the faithful to fight no other faction has decided to join. I had to call another crusade in order to address the problem of the Fatimid's having become involved. I have to open up another front!

This time though, with two generals on the march to the holy lands I am able to recruit the crusader spear companies as well as those powerful mounted knights. It's too bad I hadn't a save before first crusade effort as the knights would have been very valuable. I lost my 10 star faction heir due to the relative weakness of my defending force as the 8 ghulam army from Egypt really has knocked my crusader states for a loop...least I will have better armies in this new campaign.