Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Total War is being attacked as racist

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: Total War is being attacked as racist

Quote Originally Posted by Holger Danske View Post
    In Sweden everything is offensive and racist - Especially if it's danish.
    In an incidental plot twist, Swedish media is frequently 'racist' against the Danish, see:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Imagine if the characters and setting were switched for one about the Middle East...

Btw, why haven't anyone made a thread about the Ikea murders yet so we can see certain members here defend the assailants (I mean.. victims..)
    Frankly I don't think there is enough to discuss yet, at least not anything that couldn't be discussed in extant threads related to immigration. We don't know all the facts, and the event itself doesn't appear to be related to jihadist sentiment, so it's not exactly a terrorist attack either.
    Last edited by Aanker; August 13, 2015 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I saw a fantastic h3h3 reacts video of a Sky News report (that that as you will ) on why Air Conditioning is sexist, I want to know the mental gymnastics people have to go through to make such leaps in logic - much like the claims presented by the woman that wrote the paper that the article in the OP is about. It also ignores, in my eyes, that art is but a reflection of culture and not vice versa. Movies, music, video games, and more don't cause violence, sexism, racism, or more - but rather reflect a larger culture and say something about the time period that the piece was made in.

And even then, in a free and open society who is supposed to care? You should be able to make whatever art you want.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Chances are that air condition engineering is designed and approved for production by forty year old white males.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I want to know the mental gymnastics people have to go through to make such leaps in logic - much like the claims presented by the woman that wrote the paper that the article in the OP is about. It also ignores, in my eyes, that art is but a reflection of culture and not vice versa. Movies, music, video games, and more don't cause violence, sexism, racism, or more - but rather reflect a larger culture and say something about the time period that the piece was made in.
    Did you read the article? Her argument was that fantasy games create a space where preexisting prejudices and cultural beliefs are legitimised. We can't actually read the study, but as far as I can tell it says nothing about video games causing violence or about whether they should be allowed. Just because we have a free society doesn't mean we can't criticise other beliefs. In fact that's the point of having a free society: having the freedom to criticise and find an acceptable path by challenging extremist belief systems and the things which aid them.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

finally i can see the truth !!!
    guys we must stop our invasion of lichenstein..

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Did you read the article? Her argument was that fantasy games create a space where preexisting prejudices and cultural beliefs are legitimised.
    And again, I reiterate that art is but a reflection of a culture, it doesn't legitimize anything. The only things which do any sort legitimization are people. Django Unchained isn't a racist movie, although it features many slave owners doing really terrible and racist things (and also, "Legitimizes" Bounty Hunting of bad people). The only people this would "legitimize" things for are people who already agree with that view point; so say a racist who thinks that slavery shouldn't have ended in the US. That's neither the artists fault, nor the fault of the piece of art itself. That's the fault of an individual. And so in the end, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what a racist gets out of a movie, or a book, or a song - because it's not the fault of the artist.

We can't actually read the study, but as far as I can tell it says nothing about video games causing violence or about whether they should be allowed.
    If one believes that games legitimize prejudices, then that individual has gone through the same mental gymnastics that people such as Jack Thompson did to say that they cause violence. It's two different versions of the same message.

Just because we have a free society doesn't mean we can't criticise other beliefs. In fact that's the point of having a free society: having the freedom to criticise and find an acceptable path by challenging extremist belief systems and the things which aid them.
    Note that I said nothing about not being able to criticize anything. What I did say however, was that people should be free to make what they want. I never said they can't be criticized for what they make. And I agree with you, people should criticize things! However, I feel there's a limit - especially when it comes to blurring the lines between reality and fiction and acting as if the fictitious has any real weight upon reality.
    Last edited by IlluminatiRex; August 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Ah, you mean this sort of thing:

It's not real I assume, but were you sure when you were reading it?
    I thought it was real until you asked. So I guess this kinda thing in Sweden would be treated as normal? Is this some kinda defensive tactic or something against Russia? Like, to finish Sweden off before Russia can? 'Cus that girl in the pic looks a bit too underagish-ish to me.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    And again, I reiterate that art is but a reflection of a culture, it doesn't legitimize anything. The only things which do any sort legitimization are people. Django Unchained isn't a racist movie, although it features many slave owners doing really terrible and racist things (and also, "Legitimizes" Bounty Hunting of bad people). The only people this would "legitimize" things for are people who already agree with that view point; so say a racist who thinks that slavery shouldn't have ended in the US. That's neither the artists fault, nor the fault of the piece of art itself. That's the fault of an individual. And so in the end, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what a racist gets out of a movie, or a book, or a song - because it's not the fault of the artist.

If one believes that games legitimize prejudices, then that individual has gone through the same mental gymnastics that people such as Jack Thompson did to say that they cause violence. It's two different versions of the same message.

Note that I said nothing about not being able to criticize anything. What I did say however, was that people should be free to make what they want. I never said they can't be criticized for what they make. And I agree with you, people should criticize things! However, I feel there's a limit - especially when it comes to blurring the lines between reality and fiction and acting as if the fictitious has any real weight upon reality.
    I think there's a big difference between a film and a video game. Video games might be artistic but they are not an artform, at least not sandbox role playing games like Skyrim. They allow you, the player, to choose who to be and how to act. I'm not saying I agree with the study, but say there was a mod of Red Dead redemption that was centred around the deep south shortly after the civil war. Now it might be perfectly true that people in rural Alabama went around lynching black people at that time, but does that make it acceptable to make a game where you can choose to play as a member of a lynch mob? Even if you can play as a black person too, to my mind it would be highly questionable to create a game where you can actively take part in lynching and have it be part of the game as side quests etc. That would be a game legitimising a harmful point of view.

I don't really see how the fantasy medieval world of any known video game constitutes a space where white supremacy is legitimised, but I see how you could if you wanted create a game where that was the case.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Thought/Cultural police has little room in sandbox games. For they can easily take any shape, and you can also play as the "opressed" faction and defeat the evil white cis scum as much as you want, there's even big modding community.

So, is it imagination that is being banned or asked for censorship, or just videogames?
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789