View Poll Results: What's your general desire about a new version of Medieval Total war 2?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Medieval Total war 2 patch to remove hardcoded limits and update the game for the modern systems.

44 61.11%
  • Medieval 2 Total War enhanced edition with editor tools.

3 4.17%
  • Medieval Total War 3.

19 26.39%
  • Free small patch to remove hardcoded limits only.

6 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SURVEY FOR A MODERN VERSION OF MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2

Icon1 SURVEY FOR A MODERN VERSION OF MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2

SURVEY FOR A MODERN VERSION

OF

MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2

There are a lot of discussions and a petition about remove the hardcoded limits of Medieval Total War 2. This Survey has the objective to show the general desire of the fans of this wonderful game.
    Explanations:

1) Medieval Total war 2 patch to remove hardcoded limits and update the game for the modern systems.
    A Stand alone patch or an exclusive content of a new edition of Total war Saga which remove hardcoded limits, fix bugs, update the game for modern system ecc.

2)Medieval 2 Total War enhanced edition with editor tools.
    It's basically a new game: improved engine,new texture, new animations, editing tools, ecc..(something like baldur's gate enhanced edition).

3)Medieval Total War 3.

4)Free small patch to remove hardcoded limits only.
    A small free patch to change the hardcoded limits of the game, and satisfy the dream for lot of fans and modders.

P.S
    Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by gosho; July 22, 2015 at 03:45 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: SURVEY FOR A MODERN VERSION OF MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR 2

As an avid fan of Med 1 and Med 2 I have absolutely no interest in Med 3. Personally, I have not enjoyed a Total War game since Med 2, and find anything that requires Steam insufferable. I have no doubt there will be a Medieval 3, and that it will be much like the more modern Total War games, and thus I won't buy it.

Any of the other options are good, but the big question is which ones are actually viable? Only time will tell. I think it is paramount that any patch or new edition contain multi-core support first and foremost, with the most common hardcoded limits being the next issue to be addressed.

I've voted for Option 4 as I think that's most likely, but I'm personally not opposed to paying a small fee for a new patch.
    Last edited by Frunk; July 22, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

An optimized Medieval 2 with some limits lifted would be way better than a completely new Medieval 3 with a new engine.

All our mods are built for m2tw and who knows if a medieval 3 would support modding at all?

As an avid fan of Med 1 and Med 2 I have absolutely no interest in Med 3. Personally, I have not enjoyed a Total War game since Med 2, and find anything that requires Steam insufferable. I have no doubt there will be a Medieval 3, and that it will be much like the more modern Total War games, and thus I won't buy it.

Any of the other options are good, but the big question is which ones are actually viable? Only time will tell. I think it is paramount that any patch or new edition contain multi-core support first and foremost, with the most common hardcoded limits being the next issue to be addressed.

I've voted for Option 4 as I think that's most likely, but I'm personally not opposed to paying a small fee for a new patch.
    An optimized Medieval 2 with some limits lifted would be way better than a completely new Medieval 3 with a new engine.

All our mods are built for m2tw and who knows if a medieval 3 would support modding at all?
    the option 1 seems the most probably, because could satisfy the fans and it could be another source for get money for Sega.
    The option 4 for the quick patch could be also a good thing but CA didn't make it till now. Why they bother themselves to do it because we just ask them?Isn't a recently dream to expand the hardcoded limits.
    I'm curious to see what happen with Warhammer but they had said it's not sure that there will a toolkit..So a MTW3 that will come out in 5-6 years with a big doubt about editing tools, could really be a solution?
    If you have other options and ideas write it here or make other discussions,
    More we talk about it and involve people, more the possibility to get attention from CA and Sega.

Tiro
    in a plane flying lightspeed from hotseat world to hotseat world
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

How would they get money out of a patch

However fixing bugs and removing the limits would be my favorite

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    i would love to see the AI actually assaulting though, as the AI thinks your sallying out and thus doesn't go to your walls etc

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I think the best alternative would be Medieval 3 TW with the same game engine as Empire TW and later Total War games had, but improved without the bugs that Empire TW had.

Why? It is simple. Personally, I couldn't play Medieval 2 TW back in 2005 (I bought Medieval 2 TW Collector's Edition and later I bought Kingdoms plus Medieval 2 TW Gold Edition), because the game time was annoying I mean you start a new game (1080 Summer I think) then you notice the next turn the year was actual two years ahead in the winter season WTF.

Being used to of how it was in Rome TW then I start playing Medieval 2 TW with a completely messed up game time, which annoyed me so much I didn't play Medieval 2 TW for about 1½ years and sometimes I can't play it at all.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I'd be happy with all of the above, however only 1 and 4 are really still the Medieval 2. I suppose option 2 is some kind of the Age of Empires enhanced idea and option 3 is just a new Medieval Total War game. Voted for option 4 as that is, even if already improbable, the most likely and I'd be satisfied if certain hardcoded limits were raised as that opens up a whole lot of possibilities for M2TW's amazing modding community.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    I think the best alternative would be Medieval 3 TW with the same game engine as Empire TW and later Total War games had, but improved without the bugs that Empire TW had.

Why? It is simple. Personally, I couldn't play Medieval 2 TW back in 2005 (I bought Medieval 2 TW Collector's Edition and later I bought Kingdoms plus Medieval 2 TW Gold Edition), because the game time was annoying I mean you start a new game (1080 Summer I think) then you notice the next turn the year was actual two years ahead in the winter season WTF.

Being used to of how it was in Rome TW then I start playing Medieval 2 TW with a completely messed up game time, which annoyed me so much I didn't play Medieval 2 TW for about 1½ years and sometimes I can't play it at all.
    Yes a new MTW could be grate but lets see in the meantime how goes the warhammer project.

MTW2 is also cool for its mod. Look the TATW mod and submods, are awsome!! The game experince its not limited to the game it self but also the mods and the personal editing you can make with it.

I personally enjoied vanilla M2TW and its modding world.

I'd be happy with all of the above, however only 1 and 4 are really still the Medieval 2. I suppose option 2 is some kind of the Age of Empires enhanced idea and option 3 is just a new Medieval Total War game. Voted for option 4 as that is, even if already improbable, the most likely and I'd be satisfied if certain hardcoded limits were raised as that opens up a whole lot of possibilities for M2TW's amazing modding community.
    Option 2 is the game with fix, expanded features (Untis, map, animations ecc), upgraded for modern systems and with a nice editor.
    I think about this option because could be an other investment for SEGA and CA.

MTW3 its a new game and it will be probably the only thing that CA will do.

Option 4 its the best for the modders and who likes play with mods, because its quick, free and could give new possibility, but sadly:
    -Don't give nothing to CA and SEGA.
    -We must know the % of the players that play with mods and they like to edit it.
    i don't know the % but probably CA and SEGA look these data to chose for what they invest their time and resources.
    -CA can expand harcoded limits quickly with the source code, so why they didn't do it in 10 years?It's not the first time that the fans wanted it.

Do you think we could have an ask new things instead this 4 options?

Removed hardcoded limits would mean my dream of a crossover mod between all the mods out there would be achievable.

And Europa Barbarorum 2 would be delayed by 30 more years.
    Last edited by IGdood; August 02, 2015 at 01:16 PM.

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    And Europa Barbarorum 2 would be delayed by 30 more years.
    Not necessarily, I imagine that news of hardcoded limits being removed would bring in a new wave of motivation for both currently active modders as well as those who abandoned modding M2TW.

It would be like starting a very old car and realizing it still works...and is kinda better than the new ones...
    Just needs a bit of...work done on it.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

In a word, no.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

I don't see any chance of a new patch for M2TW, or a decent editor (could be visual and simple, but there you are) and absolutely no chance of the hard code being made available. It's Sega's IP. They won't open it up. They won't spend money of revising an old game for the enjoyment of players with no financial benefit for themselves. They are a commercial organisation. They want to sell new product, and to restrict modding so they can sell DLC's and expansion packs, and move players on to the next release.

Besides, I would like changes. Personally, I would like an updated M3TW. M2TW has many peculiarities due to the approach of the developers at the time. AI faction behaviour is incomprehensible a lot of the time. Everything is a puzzle for the player to solve, not a rule based strategy. The diplomacy system of Shogun 2 is far superior to that of M2TW which works, but is a puzzle and difficult to fathom.

For those with a long memory, the promise for M1TW was that the AI "would not peek". The community that started around Shogun 1 wanted strategic challenge from an AI that operated more like a chess program than a game done for entertainment. In fact, all the AI does is "peek". If you play enough you realise everything is scripted to react to player actions. There is no effort to have a game based on strategic challenge from algorithms that mimic superior game play by a human.

I would like CA to fulfil the expectation that it raised in 2002 that they could produce such a game. When I look at the sheer amount of effort they've put into rigging the game, and "allowing" the player to win if they learn certain rules and the AI's limitations then I find it very frustrating. That effort could have produced a truly strategy based game. Most of the AI strategy for M2TW is based on slowing the player down. Using the AI's knowledge of player actions the "strategy" is one of continual frustration of player aims. It's like being in a long distance race where people run out from the spectators and trip you up.

I do agree that they've produced an entertaining game, but I want more than entertainment. I want true strategic challenge that is algorithm based where AI factions operate to the same rules that the player uses.

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    ...the game time was annoying I mean you start a new game (1080 Summer I think) then you notice the next turn the year was actual two years ahead in the winter season WTF.
    Why don't you edit the turns per year to 1 turn = 1 year? It's the easiest edit to make. Open the file descr_strat and change: timescale 2.00 in to 1.00. You can find it in the folder: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign. You don't need to unpack anything. It does mess with the campaign a little - the player tends to be overpowered by the time the Mongols arrive, and it takes forever to get gunpowder. The Plague runs for twice as long. By the time the Timurids arrive the player has built every building that it's possible to build and has a couple of million in the bank (with correspondingly fraudulent generals). The genetic sink of the V&V's has produced a corrupt degenerate ruling class.
    Last edited by FootSoldier; August 26, 2016 at 04:24 AM.
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I want a Medieval game set in 1067. The Normans have just conquered England. The Byzantines are about to fight at Manzikert. The Caliphate of Cordoba has splintered but al-Andalus still controls most of Spain. The Arabs rule Sicily; the Normans are attempting to capture southern Italy from the Byzantines. The Fatimids fight the Seljuks. That would be an interesting time to start the game. I want a new engine with slower combat animations (they're too fast in Rome II and Attila).

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Voted on: Medieval Total war 2 patch to remove hardcoded limits and update the game for the modern systems.

It seems reasonable for commercial company to support its product if it still brings money. If it will be enough interest in community, enough mails, encouragements or money making in Steam, then company can release something that polish, fix or modernize its engine. I don't think anything of "improved engine, new texture, new animations, editing tools, ecc ...(something like baldur's gate enhanced edition)" is possible for that greedy company, but small patch for modern systems consisting of some limit removing could be agreed.

Something like Zarathos said in other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    FYI: the project is not dead, but our first approach reached something like a dead end (the trade-off between the amount of work to be undertaken and the improvements was not good enough). We took another path to see if it can work and we are slowly progressing (since only me and the RTW developer are active members).

During all this time I received many PMs but I can't provide any information on how things are going. Actually, before knowing if our new approach will succeed we have to wait for quite long time. Meanwhile, I'm not forbidding anyone of you to harass CA asking for the release of a limits breaking patch since the last Steam patch for multiplayer matches demonstrates that they still have the source code of the game (and this means that they could do what we'll maybe achieve in 1 year in just... mhhh... 10 minutes?).

Regards.

I suggest writing a petition and encourage forum users to use it.

PS: About money. I remember another case, another company, another petition.
    Jagged Alliance 2 (my favorite game of other kind) was re-released again with source code, so anyone willing to mod it, should buy it again. A trade-off. You want modern patch for MTW2, buy that engine again. I'm in, if anybody asks.

"Jagged Alliance 2 is a tactical role-playing game for PC, released in 1999 for Windows.
    Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire was published by i-Deal Games in 2004 as an official expansion pack by Strategy First. The game's source code was also published in the package, under a license permitting non-commercial use."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_2
    Last edited by Hanti; August 29, 2016 at 03:10 AM.

Berenike's Avatar Foederatus

Another way to grab attention could be to just make the mods that can we make the very best that they can be and then distribute them around the community as much as possible and get people talking and sharing, in order to grab to CA/Sega's attention. But they may just respond with a another new release, sigh...

MIITW offers must more scope for strategy and tactics, culture and commerce and an environment for *fairly* accurate historical recreation than other titles that are more appealing to armchair generals. And the best point for me is that I can pick any specific historical scenario (albeit mainly pre-industrial) and go about creating a mod for it. For example, the byzantine-Sassanid War of 602-628AD or the Hellenistic Age, the Exarchate of Ravenna or even a Charlemagne era campign, all with highly detailed historiography, historical descriptions, cultural distinctiveness, beautiful and historical units, bringing ancient cities back to life, historical buildings and architecture, era-specific events, personalised UI, forgotten languages, traits and ancillaries, historical characters and best of all scripted scenarios that put's the player in the shoes of their favourite historical figures and lets them react as they would in that scenario. And the most enjoyable part for me is all the learning and research and reading you do to bring a long forgotten time back to life.

"Modding is not a way to a game, modding is the game".

I just wish that CA and Sega would understand this and realise that modding is a form of creative entertainment in itself that appeals to mainly artists across a vast spectrum of creative fields, from programming to fine art. And why not allow artists to flourish in a regulated system of CA's creation, with tools they provide to their creative "children" that make masterpieces in their name!!!

Anyway, I voted number 1 because that is what I want to see to ensure longevity of the community with newer version pc users, but my hearts choice was number 4 as I feel it is the most realistic option. It is easier to give a little than to give a lot.

I also agree with #Frunk on this. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee or even a subscription fee either

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    I want a Medieval game set in 1067. The Normans have just conquered England. The Byzantines are about to fight at Manzikert. The Caliphate of Cordoba has splintered but al-Andalus still controls most of Spain. The Arabs rule Sicily; the Normans are attempting to capture southern Italy from the Byzantines. The Fatimids fight the Seljuks. That would be an interesting time to start the game. I want a new engine with slower combat animations (they're too fast in Rome II and Attila).
    That would be an awesome starting point for the game.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Simply put... This is a pointless exercise... CA/SEGA will never bother with this petition
    or any other. The day anyone can manage to prove me wrong on this, I'll be more then
    happy to admit I was wrong. Until then I'll be right... Get my drift?

Oh, and steam really do suck btw...

- A

Please fix the two-handed-bug or release and fix for it ? Is there any mod ?

Hello new here, Well if you are asking for a new game? Well than I would say Medieval III with a bigger map too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast