Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lack of Naval Action/Importance

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Lack of Naval Action/Importance

Thank you, that's helpful, I will add this information to the mod description.

That's good. You'll also be pleased to note that when AI driven, Venice, the Papal States, and Genoa all become very solid naval powers in the Med, as expected.

Did find a slight Whoopsie. The Ottoman Trade Ports don't have a similar adjustment. All the European Indian powers do (as well as Persia), but not the Ottomans.

While this is a good mini-mod (and recommend bigger mods utilize it), I recommend the trade_routes.esf file also be modded, so powers that don't utilize naval trade in the vanilla game (e.g. Morroco, Knights of St. John, and Georgia) will take advantage. Currently, they'll accept naval trade if offered by the player, but don't seem to initiate it on their own just yet.

Thanks Akarios - I wonder why Ottoman trade ports don't have a similar adjustment. I can think of two possible explanations: (1) the Ottoman Empire's navy roster does not include the Sixth Rate frigate, so even if their ports can theoretically be used to build Sixth Rates, the Ottoman faction cannot recruit them or (2) perhaps their ports have a different designation in the database tables (for example, perhaps they build trade_ports_eastern rather than trade_ports.) At the moment, the first explanation looks like the more likely one. One way to test this would be to play as a European power and capture a region belonging to the Ottoman Empire which includes a trade port - and see whether you can build Sixth Rates. Another way would be to play as the Ottoman Empire and see whether you can build Fifth Rates in higher-level civilian ports, since the Ottoman navy roster does include Fifth Rates.

Good idea about modifying the trade_routes.esf file to encourage minor factons to take advantage . I haven't modded the trade_routes.esf before - hopefully the ESF Editor which I use to modify the startpos.esf will work. When I get the chance, I'll try that.

Hmm...I thought it was the second one actually. Most other buildings have 3 subtypes for graphics: European, Middle Eastern, and Indian, which defines which graphic texture to display. I'd assumed for the moment the same thing applied to their behaviors as well. I believe the Ottomans CAN build Sixth Rates, but I'll have to work up a game to check. I directly checked the Ottoman ports, but they start with the basic Trade Port as everyone else, so I couldn't directly observe. I don't know as yet if there's a console behind the ETW engine which allows you to hack a faction directly in game, so I wouldn't know yet if I can just set one of the Ottoman ports to Global Trade Company and check.

You could be right. Using Pack File Manager, I looked in the building_culture_variants table (in a copy of patch.pack). I agree, buildings appear to have three sub-types for graphics. This table appears to allocate a model to a commercial_basin or commercial_port, depending on which culture the faction belongs to (European, Middle Eastern or Indian). As I see it, this allocation of models would only be necessary if Middle Eastern and Indian factions were building the same types of port - such as commercial_basin and commercial_port - as European factions. If Middle Eastern and Indian factions build the same types of civilian ports (and these same types of port are shown differently on the campaign map) then I believe that my navy recruitment mod should apply to them as well. I could be wrong!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12