Thread: Final Projects Critiques

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Final Projects Critiques

Post your final project here once you are done. We may go through several iterations, especially if you want feedback from myself and others.

Also, if you want your final vid private for any reason, you can PM it to me for review instead of posting here.
    Last edited by Hader; July 23, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Final Projects Critiques

going to reserve this one

I won't be able to present anything before a couple of weeks at least, so I hope that won't be a problem and that in general we will have plenty of time to finish the project

Depending on the time I have, if there is no hurry I might even think of making a video assembly of my next 5 days wild camping (second week of August), if not I'll return to my original project (sorry but I seem to be unable to get game footage properly, even with OBS)
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I too have not deserted this, but as Flinn it will take me some time yet as this has taken a bit longer than originally expected and I will have to adjust my schedule to that. Also it looks like my original idea for a video will have to be revised due to "external" circumstances. I am now collecting new raw material. On the plus side, that material looks a lot better quality wise than the previous stuff I capped due to having Shadowplay available now.
    Also I'm still looking for a suitable free to use soundtrack.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

shadowplay??? daddy, I want that toy toooooooooo

jokes aside, I hope to have enough time to make some videos of my camping experience, would be nice to make a final project out of it
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Don't forget this now everyone

I have not forgotten, but it took me an astonishing amount of time to make this 1 minute video. It's nothing like the one you made, but I am simply too old for those hectic action scenes. Besides I made my video using footage from a MTW2 based mod (in development), so that is a much more "sedate" source to begin with. The purpose is clear from the title, although I hope we can use a real video artist to make the official intro movies.

This course has helped me in making this. There was some good info and tips to be found and maybe even more important, it pushed me to finish the final project. I would hate to disappoint myself and the Prof who also put quite some effort in providing this opportunity to learn something about WLMM. Thank you, Hader.

And now the video:

And for the the people that live in Germany I included this download link. The song I used (Battles by Clannad) is available everywhere when ads are enabled, except for Germany.

Edit: I realized it's probably not very wise to put a link here. If anybody teaching or taking part in the course needs a download link, PM me and I will get one sent back to you.

Edit: Just noticed it sounds terrible when played on my tablet, the original music is almost unrecognisable.
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 16, 2015 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I just came back yesterday from my 5 days camping; I now have about 80 minutes of videos to work on. The idea is to make a 7-10 minutes "summary" video with the best parts and include some rock soundtrack; it won't be the best video ever, but I should be able to use most of the features of WMM with it. I'm not sure how much it will take (even if I am at holydays I have plenty of RL stuff to pay attention to in this period), but I should be starting to work on it even tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I have not forgotten, but it took me an astonishing amount of time to make this 1 minute video. It's nothing like the one you made, but I am simply too old for those hectic action scenes. Besides I made my video using footage from a MTW2 based mod (in development), so that is a much more "sedate" source to begin with. The purpose is clear from the title, although I hope we can use a real video artist to make the official intro movies.

This course has helped me in making this. There was some good info and tips to be found and maybe even more important, it pushed me to finish the final project. I would hate to disappoint myself and the Prof who also put quite some effort in providing this opportunity to learn something about WLMM. Thank you, Hader.

And now the video:

And for the the people that live in Germany I included this download link. The song I used (Battles by Clannad) is available everywhere when ads are enabled, except for Germany.

Edit: I realized it's probably not very wise to put a link here. If anybody teaching or taking part in the course needs a download link, PM me and I will get one sent back to you.

Edit: Just noticed it sounds terrible when played on my tablet, the original music is almost unrecognisable.
    I would only say that a couple of the transitions are not what I would have used, though that's not a bad thing, like I've said I'm more for the simple scene transitions that are at most a simple fade in/out. It doesn't do badly here how you have it though.

I'd also say as far as getting ingame footage to see what more action shots you can get for various units (since you're doing a faction show-off type vid). What I would personally try first is some panning shots along the front line of a battle, quite akin to many of the opening shots in the prologue of the Fellowship of the Ring movie for the battle of the last alliance.

But it's still good, you've utilized a little bit to a great extent, which is the point of this course here. If you want to go a little further with this video, I would suggest making it longer with basically just more shots, since your aim is just to show off the faction and units. 3 minutes feels like a good length for previews videos like that.

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. If I were to extend the video, that might be what I would do. However this is it for now as far as I'm concerned. As I said, it took me a lot of time to get it done even when it is only a minute long.

I hope there will be some more clips being posted here soon.

Blog Entries

and here I am!

So, I managed to crop it down to about 12 minutes, but I couldn't do less I'm sorry; it's pretty hard to condensate 5 days in few minutes, especially if one wants the watcher to understand anything at all
    Anyhow, this video is made of parts of other 50 (made with my smarthphone): a lot of splitting, setting starting and ending points and so on; I've used extensively the animation tools, just a bit of visual effects (mostly the dissolvence to black in exit) and added quite a bit of text to help understand it. I also included some pictures collages at the transition points; they have been made out of pictures I shot myself and variuos snapshots I took with WMM, assembled with a combination of both Paint and Gimp (not my best work in any case...)
    Soundtrack has been choosen mostly due to timing reasons, but it fits well the video and still it's a great song, so I'm sure it will take you all the way long

Overall the result is quite raw (I don't know why, but there is a sort of slight tremble on the whole video that didn't show up on the project itslef ) and a bit of ironic, just like the way I wanted it. It was really funny to make it, many thanks to Hader for introducing me to WMM, I'm on fire now (I'm making just right now another version of about 40 minutes with original audio and I will give both to the mates that were with me). However, I hope you will enjoy watching it

note: I picked the "youtube" format for conversion, and managed to get a 450 MB file; in full screen it plays rather poorely . Also, there are a couple of typos on the texts and two or three missing animations, but I just noticed them after I uploaded the video and I don't have the heart to wait for two hours again.

edit: I tried the tremble removal feature of youtube, but it messes up with the text; should be back to original in a while...
    edit 2: it is now public.. I suck terribly with techy things
    Last edited by Flinn; August 23, 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Aha, good. I couldn't watch it earlier, but now it is sorted.
    A nice video for those who took part in the trip and their close ones. As for me: Pink Floyd!

I hope you enabled ads for this video, or you might be contacted by Google soon to do so and your reputation may suffer a bit. This would be because of the soundtrack you used.

Blog Entries

You can make the video Unlisted on youtube, which essentially makes it private except for anyone you give the link to.

Overall though, it looks really good. The music fits well since it doesn't build up to fast or at a weird point, just nice and steady. You're much better at video from a phone than I And now I can't wait to go camping here again.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I'm still here too. I have to delay that course a bit due to work reasons and holidays. But I hope to be able to post something soon.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I hope you enabled ads for this video, or you might be contacted by Google soon to do so and your reputation may suffer a bit. This would be because of the soundtrack you used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    You can make the video Unlisted on youtube, which essentially makes it private except for anyone you give the link to.
    I unlisted it for now, the purpose of showing the final project has been achieved, so actually I don't need to keep it public. Daddy, can you point me to where I can decide whether or not to enable ads? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Overall though, it looks really good. The music fits well since it doesn't build up to fast or at a weird point, just nice and steady. You're much better at video from a phone than I And now I can't wait to go camping here again.
    I'm glad you liked it; it was really fun to make it, even if it took me quite a bit to complete it (about 10 hours overall, most of the time has been spent in setting the proper transition points and in choosing what to show and what to remove). Anyhow, phone isn't the best tool for videos, but one can make a passable work if you take a lot of them (more than often one does not even realize that the video is sideways, there are reflexes etc etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    (...) Daddy, can you point me to where I can decide whether or not to enable ads? Thanks
    (...)
    Okay, I will try. Youtube can be surprisingly difficult to navigate sometimes.

Step 1 In your Youtube account click:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Step 2 Click:

Step 3 Click:

Step 4 Click:

Step 5 Click:

Step 6 Optionally: To check if you can use a certain music/song:
    Last edited by Veteraan; August 25, 2015 at 04:55 AM.

Blog Entries

heel erg bedankt

I'll try to see if it works for me as soon as I will need it again. I owe you one daddy

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Here's mine, I got caught up with other stuff and it was left sitting on my hard drive for a while . I wanted to swap out a clip or two, but it turns out Windows 10 doesn't have Movie Maker - so I didn't get to fix those small bits.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Blog Entries

Nice to see some Verdun gameplay, I have yet to play it

The start of it feels a bit slow to be honest. For one, I would have at least done a fade in for the intro, even if just a simple slow fade for audio and video. I am speaking from inexperience with the game itself, so I really don't know the ins and outs of it at all, so watching some clips I don't really have much of a sense of what's going on, beyond the kills you get. Without any music synced to specific gameplay until about halfway through, it just doesn't have much flow to it for the first half. After that there's some moments where it also seems like nothing notable is happening (no kills or movement or otherwise just relevant context to the situation ingame). There doesn't need to be action or kills happening to fill this, but having something there that just gives some context to the situation is preferable. Again though, I don't know the game, so I don't know the extent of the context that may be there either.

Even then though, it's quite good. Makes me wonder what clips you wanted to swap out too

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

There was one where it cut to the scoreboard at the very end and iirc I had used what happened after I closed out of the scoreboard I used in another part of the video.

I think my biggest fault was trying to build tension with the lulls, but it was so non-linear that it fell flat on its face. Still, good to keep in mind for the future!
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Blog Entries

I'm officially ending the submissions for final projects now, it's been a good amount of time by now.