Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [VIDEO] Youtuber Video Previews

Default Re: [PREVIEW] TWZone and THFE Productions Play Ancient Empires

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Excuse my stupidity, but didnīt you just count pretty much every single formation ability as exception? Will they be included or not?
    Also will formation depth have any influence on combat performance?
    There were things like Trample' they were pretty ridiculous in Rome 2.

There are a lot more abilities, yes, and many have been cut out. In terms of hoplite formation, every mod is basically looking for an answer there. Someone linked to Ritter Floh's awesome new animation work for DeI which we are both tracking and hoping to implement in Attila. I think in terms of the aesthetics of the battles and diversity of units, that will help quite a bit. In terms of spacings, all of our units are unique and as close to realistic as possible.

Formations will only be used for specific instances where it is absolutely necessary and realistic. Formation buttons are what Petellius was covering.

I'm honestly still confused by the line of questioning. I think it stems from Petellius's use of the phrase 'formation attack,' which is something added in by CA to help units keep formation. It has certain drawbacks, however, and is currently disabled. In terms of abilities, I see little relation with them to the original question?

This is one area we had to make a compromise. Simply put, the depth of a formation has little impact on battles, and there's nothing we can do about it. Ideally, depth would give greater weight to units and allow pushing or cutting through a thinned line, but that doesn't happen unless you stretch them out to the very extremes.

I initially wanted realistic depths for all units, but Philip correctly pointed out that this would put the AI at a severe disadvantage as the player would be able to thin their line and essentially engulf the AI units and flank them with ease. Which is exactly what players do. The AI does not adjust the base depth of its units in field battles and can't react to the player doing this. So, we've used depths that are on par with DeI and most other battle overhauls.
    Last edited by ABH2; July 20, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Excuse my stupidity, but didnīt you just count pretty much every single formation ability as exception? Will they be included or not?
    No I actually still missed quite a few out, especially abilities and Im not sure yet, I'll have to test it first. Formation depth has no influence on performance no, and it can not be modded to be any different Im afraid.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

@ABH2 concerning formation attack, you therefore answered my first post, but I didnīt notice that the units didnīt have it at all^^
    Could you elaborate what kind of drawbacks it has? And last but not least, I absolutely love the spacings in AE^^

And @ you both, what a pity formation depth canīt be modded to have any impact...

Best regards
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

On the drawbacks I'll say this. The only thing formation attack is actually good for is cosmetics and making disciplined troops in pretty formations... Fair enough. However this comes at the cost of breaking gameplay. If a unit with formed attack is engaged by more than one enemy unit (which thanks to the amazing ai always is) it slides back and forth between the two enemies.

I also like how units look out of formation. We are looking into alternatives

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

is that the reason why my whole unit sometimes faces about even in rome 2?
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If you want to add formations, please add historical ones when need be.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Oh Please AE DEVS...give me a reason to buy Attilla!

is that the reason why my whole unit sometimes faces about even in rome 2?
    Yes. The battle mechanics we developed, but there are reasons for everything.

Looking good so far.......but im not keen on the huge unit sizes....of course that does depend on what size you choose of course.

I like the default Rome 2 unit size settings......why? because having several hundred in a unit makes it a right pain to manoeuvre in siege battles. Realism takes a step back when it comes to better gameplay here.

I will likely make a sub mod where units are single century sizes the normal setting. I.e 80 men in late Rome and 60 in early. Could even up army sizes to 41 in campaign

Amazing previews, it should be stickied !

One of the best videos and battles i have seen recently for Total war.

Keep up the great work guys !

thks

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !

Garensterz's Avatar Senator

The TWC community should have a steam group just for Ancient Empires multiplayer, once the mod is lend to the public.

I have decided to turn this thread into a compilation of all videos made that cover the mod. So, I've added an old video made by TW Zone that covered the Warriors of Faith combat mechanics which served as the basis for our Attila battle system, as well as a new fan made video produced by Denco. There is a fan made section now for those who have gotten early copies or would like to for video production. We appreciate all the coverage.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Video Previews

Warrior of Sparta just released his first video of AE today, go check it out on YouTube!

Libertus

AAAAA i cant wait until next year for this hahah i need to time travel.

WarriorOfSparta's first video covering our mod.

Another Youtube preview video has been done, this time in Portuguese, but Ares Total War. While many may not understand the language, there's still some nice visuals and music to go with it:

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    Another Youtube preview video has been done, this time in Portuguese, but Ares Total War. While many may not understand the language, there's still some nice visuals and music to go with it:

A shame I cannot understand but I'll just assume its positive (hopefully)

Thanks to Hazie who is very kindly doing a few cinematic videos for us

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast