Thread: Oriental Empires: New Total War-Style Game in China!

dalapto's Avatar Libertus

Icon14 Oriental Empires: New Total War-Style Game in China!

Oriental Empires is a turn based 4X style civilization-building game set in ancient China. It will feature both single player campaigns as well as a multiplayer mode.
    Oriental Empires covers the period from earliest recorded history, until the widespread adoption of firearms (roughly 1500 BC to 1500 AD) and aims to realistically depict the world of ancient China, with a focus on the unique aspects of that civilization.
    Development...is being led by R.T. Smith and John Carline...Previously they worked together on the Total War series of games, in roles including Project Director and Lead Artist...
    ...The game is currently set for a Summer 2015 Early Access debut on the Steam Platform.

From screenshots and details, it looks like this a mash-up between Civilization and Total War on the Campaign Map and Typical Total War battles, and will probably be out of early access at the end of the year (hopefully, depending on what has been done already).

Above Quotes from this page:
    http://www.iceberg-games.com/index.php?dispatch=news.view&news_id=125

Two more pages on it:

Video on it by Pixelated Apollo (just talking about it with screens)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

green tea's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Oriental Empires: New Total War-Style Game in China!

"Development of Oriental Empires is being led by R.T. Smith and John Carline, two veteran strategy game developers with more than 30 years’ experience between them. Previously they worked together on the Total War series of games, in roles including Project Director and Lead Artist, and have credits on many other AAA titles from studios including Crystal Dynamics, Pandemic, Frontier Developments, and Slightly Mad Studios."

That is quite interesting. TW absolutely needs competition.

Edit: I believe you give in that game your battle orders before the battle, and then just watch it. So no direct competition to TW.
    Last edited by green tea; July 18, 2015 at 04:14 PM.

Icon2 Re: Oriental Empires: New Total War-Style Game in China!

Watch skilled armies and reinforcements go to battle, according to the battle orders and formations set by the player...Plan your battles, end your turn, and then watch as your armies obey your orders, with hundreds of soldiers battling right on the game map.
    Quote Originally Posted by green tea View Post
    So no direct competition to TW.
    I disagree. Few games make large scale army vs army battles, particularly visually appealing & entertaining ones, as well as strategic empire/kingdom management.

If you look at this screenshot
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It seems that the Total War-style campaign and battle maps are melded together. Moving, attacking and other orders are done on the campaign map, and you zoom in to see the battle.

Another possibility is "plan your battles" could just refer to deployment before battles.
    And for, "watch as your armies obey your orders", there's no reason why you can't watch and order units simultaneously.

At this point it's too hard to tell, since it's just information and a few screenshots. Once gameplay is shown, it'll be clearer.
    I think it's worthwhile to watch and see what happens.
    Last edited by dalapto; July 19, 2015 at 06:29 AM.

Can you let us know when this game comes out? I'd love to try it, but I rarely check the news. If you could be awesome and shoot me a google+ message when it comes out I'd love to give the game a go

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralOda View Post
    Can you let us know when this game comes out? I'd love to try it, but I rarely check the news. If you could be awesome and shoot me a google+ message when it comes out I'd love to give the game a go
    Will do, send me a message with a link to your google+ so I can let you know.

I volunteer to Beta test if anyone is needed, I have done a lot of that on multiple games lol sounds epic though