Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [UPD 28 SEP 2020] Preview: Campaign Map

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: [UPD 26/07/2015] Preview: Campaign Map

The realy only problem left for us is pathfinding. We can't restrict zones which we put under water. This means if AI would love to move to spain or france it will look like general walks on water. And hopefully general won't be smart to rebuild desolated underwater settlements. I believe last one can be fixed by setting incredible price (like bilion of coins) but Im not sure if we can restrict movement in spain, italy or france.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburrg View Post
    And, sry to post it here but your idea to rise Angmar again brings me to an idea for a concept of Arnor
    Eventually Arnor could named at start Dunedain or Descendants of Arnor, having perhabs one-two regions of desolated Arnor or are simply one-two hordes. They have rudimentary Arnor troops and have to rebuild the old cities of Arnor (all white regions on the map). As soon as they did this, they have the opportunity to confederate with Shire/Bree. I think a new confederation will be renamed in Attila so ...baam... you ve got Arnor with all Arnor and Eriador troops. Same opportunity evt. for Shire/Bree, Gondor or Rivendell, which have to confederate after rebuilding all Arnor settlements with Dunedain. Simply to make and effective

I am just very hyped for this project, so I have to throw this idea in, but now I let you work and fulfill your plans
    Concerning this, the plan is to keep Bree&Shire totally independent from Arnor. There will be built-in option to join Arnor but very highly it won't happen(small chance).
    So faction name will be either Dunedain of the North or The Lost Realm of Arnor. You will start with few hordes, near Rivendell, near Dunland, near Fornost&Annuminas and maybe near Weathertop or somewhere else.
    You will be given some objectives like get settlement by settlement and when they're all done you can have an option to reforge The Kingdom of Arnor. Meanwhile you will have Grey Company horde with Aragorn in leaders(Aragorn - faction leader) with own gameplay. Maybe Grey Company rpg will be a part of The Fellowship rpg when you start with 9 heroes or so and then split, split on new rpgs (spin-offs ) etc.
    Then Grey Company RPG will be tied with Arnor reforge mission when you can have The Reunited Kingdom founded.

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburrg View Post
    Ok, seems that the only real bone of contention is Dale and Balcoth, all other plans are really nice
    Bt why not to give crimea to balcoth but leave Laketown to Dale, Dol Guldur can be placed in left purple region in any case (so balcoth is bigger and have two ports to attack rohan). If not; I think your plan making dale (but eventually better Laketown after Smaugīs attack) simply a desolate location is also a good way. And why not moving Lorien? On ME maps Woods of Lorien are directly above of Fangorn and verge at MM.

Beside of this I think the matched map is the closest thing to ME we can get and I am very excited that the considerations lead to such a glorious result after the frustration over the modding tools
    I must inform you that both Dale and Lake-town were re-built and inhabited by the time of the War of the Ring.

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.J View Post
    The realy only problem left for us is pathfinding. We can't restrict zones which we put under water. This means if AI would love to move to spain or france it will look like general walks on water. And hopefully general won't be smart to rebuild desolated underwater settlements. I believe last one can be fixed by setting incredible price (like bilion of coins) but Im not sure if we can restrict movement in spain, italy or france.
    Donīt know if itīs possible, but could you make the coastīs of regions you put underwater surround with mountains (like Mordor) so the AI canīt enter it? Of course you would need to make a smal passable corridor on the coast of Lindon, but at leas it would prefent Jesus like generals in the whole of Spain and the biggest part of France...

Edit: For the passable parts you can make that incredible price thing you already mentioned.^^
    Medieval II: Hyrule: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Don Juan_de_Austria View Post
    Donīt know if itīs possible, but could you make the coastīs of regions you put underwater surround with mountains (like Mordor) so the AI canīt enter it? Of course you would need to make a smal passable corridor on the coast of Lindon, but at leas it would prefent Jesus like generals in the whole of Spain and the biggest part of France...

Edit: For the passable parts you can make that incredible price thing you already mentioned.^^
    If you put mountains under water they will be seen.

If you put mountains under water they will be seen.
    Well than it will depend wether you are willing to make unlore mountains, or have waterrunning armys.
    I for my part could live with mountains in the sea... But finally, as you are craeating the mod, it is up to you developers to decide it.^^
    Maybe we could make a poll over this topic?
    Medieval II: Hyrule: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Don Juan_de_Austria View Post
    Well than it will depend wether you are willing to make unlore mountains, or have waterrunning armys.
    I for my part could live with mountains in the sea... But finally, as you are craeating the mod, it is up to you developers to decide it.^^
    Maybe we could make a poll over this topic?
    Ered Luin mountains already stay on the most factions to pass there. Arnor and Angmar are desolated and horde factions.
    I think we can make some kind of script: script checks if any of units went to removed zone and if they did, script kills generals on water.(or teleport them)

Supposedly you can make exclusion zones where the Ai can't come so they won't/can't rebuild the razed underwater settlements. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14344026

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLONL View Post
    Supposedly you can make exclusion zones where the Ai can't come so they won't/can't rebuild the razed underwater settlements. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14344026
    Aaah thanks this makes sense. Then we can put land in black sea and make one more exlusion zone. Since between Mordor and Dol Guldur there was nothing (gates of argonath, dead of marshes, amon hen, some more).

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Aaah thanks this makes sense. Then we can put land in black sea and make one more exlusion zone. Since between Mordor and Dol Guldur there was nothing (gates of argonath, dead of marshes, amon hen, some more).
    This idea was talked about before in another thread and you rejected it. So is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    This idea was talked about before in another thread and you rejected it. So is it possible?
    I don't know if this is possible.
    I rejected this because I didn't know we can make exlusion zones.

MOS-Lukas-Dwarf's Avatar Tiro

Sounds difficult, but theres alot of possibilties if that works, it would certainly alienate people trying to find europe related places, which is obviously great
    "You must be king before the long night begins... Only you can unite the living against the dead"

++ The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors ++

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

I don't know if this is possible.
    I rejected this because I didn't know we can make exlusion zones.
    Okay, I gotcha.

And dont forget that you would be able to place White Mountains or MM in the Agean Sea or the Baltic Sea for a better Gondor and Angmar, not to mention that the contours of Lindon Bay could be made more accurate, for example if you put half regions under water... This are incredible good news

Well, I have one idea which would raise the amount of "settlements" enormously: How about modding (if possible) permanent army camps? More precisely: You could change the startpos and actually create camps which are already on the map when starting a new campaign. You could rename the camp and change the camp models. Obvioulsy these camps won't count for region ownership, but if it works it would be a very good option. There are 2 problems with this though: Firstly, making a camp permanent would imply you need to actually be able to besiege ot surround it like a settlement instead of having an open fight like in Attila. I don't know if this is possible though. Secondly, camps usually disband if the entire army is defeated, but instead we need the camp to stay and the ownership to change in case of a defeat of the enemy. I hope you get what I actually mean.

Oh one other thing: In Attila you have different types of factions, some of them being able to live as a horde and resettle in new lands, others living permamently as a horde and never being able to settle down in a city and the remaining type including factions which can never become a horde and are always dependent on their settlements. How will you hande this in this game? I am asking this question because it would have consequences for my idea with the camps.

Sorry for the double-post (I am new and have no Idea how to edit my last post): Is it possible to stretch the Attila campaign base map?

Having seen your maps, I tried to take the best aspects out of them and create a new improved map. Unfortunately I only have a very small campaign map picture. If anybody has a high quality map he can send it to me so I can improve and complete the map entirely. Ok here goes my map:

Here are some explanations:
    - The black lines are the map borders.
    - The dark blue area is the ocean.
    - The yellow area should be called "impregnable desert". Like its name says nobody can travel in this area (to prevent problems with the sea of the original map).
    - The pink area should be called "impregnable marshes" or "Death Marshes". Troops can't travel in this areas (to prevent problems with the sea of the original map).
    - The brown lines are mountain ranges. Some of them are impregnable, like the ones in the bottom left of Gondor (to prevent problems with the sea of the original map).
    - The green areas are forests. The Fangorn forest has been made impregnable on purpose (to prevent problems with the sea of the original map).
    - The light blue lines are rivers and the light blue areas are seas. Important: I kept the original watery region of the Hellespont as part of a river in order to allow travel from Helm's Deep (Contantinople) to the rest of Rohan in Asia.
    - The red dots are important settlements.

Strong points:
    - Lots of settlement options.
    - Very close to the lore.
    - Most factions are improved in this map.
    - The impregnable areas are somewhat logical and could be made by adding exclusion zones.

Weak points:
    - Esgaroth/Dale issue: They are not as close to Erebor as in the lore.
    - Osgiliath issue: It can be easily added to the map, but it will be a bit off the original location.

Other informations: In order to give Gondor and Rohan its power, their position has been shifted eastwards. In order to allow travelling between Helm's Deep and Edoras or other regions in the east, I kept like already said the watery region of the Hellespont (Bosporus) by turning it into a river. I hope you see the potential of this map and I would be delighted to improve it (with a bigger original campaign map) if the modders like this concept.

Looks good, i really like it.

Thank you! I'd like to improve it but I can't find the raw campaign map (without factions on it) in high quality (like in Mr. J's first post). Do you know where I could get it?

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaGerson View Post
    Thank you! I'd like to improve it but I can't find the raw campaign map (without factions on it) in high quality (like in Mr. J's first post). Do you know where I could get it?
    Should be somewhere here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...arth-in-Europe (3rd or 4th page). I provided it before any ofc concept came out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast