Thread: Let it Rain, let it rain, let it rain (cover all the lands in a second rain)

Default Let it Rain, let it rain, let it rain (cover all the lands in a second rain)

Alluding to the boring-butt title i just came up with, i'm wondering:

why in the name of Erudamn Illuvater does it seem to rain in like 80% of all the battles? this is insane. Fighting on Rohan? rain. Fighting on Gondor? rain. Fighting on Mirkwood? rain. Anywhere in the game, rain. There are sunny days sometimes, but i swear it rains more than it is sunny on middle earth. Gameplay/lorewise i try to imagine that Sauron is making it rain (why the effing Void would it rain so often in friggin Rhun?) but after a certain point its just sad. Would it be too much to ask to get some normal weather in the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Default Re: Let it Rain, let it rain, let it rain (cover all the lands in a second rain)

I get the same thing, seems as though 80% of my battles happen in rain, fog, dark or scow. Very annoying. The worst was a blizzard where I literally could not see my units and had to randomly click around the map (ended up just quitting the battle). And it happened in the desert just outside of Mordor...

Default Re: Let it Rain, let it rain, let it rain (cover all the lands in a second rain)

My guess is it is the climates, vanilla TATW (and probably a lot of submods) use a colder and wetter climates than it should be in most areas (for the greener terrain textures that come with them I assume). According to the lore it rarely even snowed in the Shire, so anything below that should use warmer, drier climates. This is one of the first things I changed when I started modding is adding in a Mediterranean climate instead, so I can't remember everything about climates in detail as it has been too long, the fix is probably to change it as I have done. This is just a guess though.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

descr_daytypes.txt looks promising.

Code:
    daytype	temperate_summer

climates		unused1 steppe temperate_deciduous_forest temperate_coniferous_forest unused2 alpine
    	seasons			summer
    	weatherevents	calm 0.25, hazy 0.4, light_fog 0.15, rain_summer_shower 0.13, rain_storm 0.05, hail_shower 0.02
    Those bold climates cover a great deal of TATW's map. If I'm reading this right then every summer battle is 20% chance of rain/hail, 55% haze/fog, 25% clear. Weather changes during a battle as well - not sure where that is defined.

Exactly my point mr fat elf. Too much damn rain.

My point is that the answer to your question seems to be "yes" because it is moddable without 'breaking' the map (changing any climates). You can change those numbers and see if it helps. I expect it is save game compatible and suspect that those numbers must add up to exactly 1.

Nice find, I had forgotten all about those. I am not sure if these do affect the weather or if they are just for the sky textures themselves, can't remember. There are a few files that deal with battlemap lighting, textures, effects, etc. that may be related to this issue.

Bottom line is KK wanted these climates to be the way they are for whatever reason, if you want it to be different you will probably have to do it yourself as I have.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 14, 2015 at 01:47 AM.

Hmm, perhaps not, according to this: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Descr_daytypes.txt

...although a similar file [to RTW] is present in M2TW it does not appear to be read at all and contents can be ignored entirely.
    I tried making some changes and I'm not seeing any effect.

I just checked, its handled in the weather_db.xml to a great extent. But there are other lighting (unit and terrain lighting maybe) and effect files (I don't know of all of these) as well that may need some small editing.

Edit; Also certain battlemaps/custom settlements/map tiles have preset weather so you need to go into those files to change those.
    Last edited by alreadyded; July 14, 2015 at 03:39 AM.

Just found that too.

Code:
       <seasons>
          <!-- Summer -->
          <season id="summer">
             <!-- Climate id's must match the climates specified in descr_climates.txt -->
             <climates>

<climate id="temperate_deciduous_forest">
                   <patterns>
                      <pattern id="clear" chance="0.2"/>
                      <pattern id="cloudy" chance="0.3"/>
                      <pattern id="rain" chance="0.25"/>
                      <pattern id="storm" chance="0.15"/>
                      <pattern id="light fog" chance="0.1"/>
                   </patterns>
                </climate>
    So in that climate (a very common one) there's a 40% chance of rain/storm in summer. That's more like it - I thought 20% seemed a bit low compared to how much it seems to rain in-game.

badass7's Avatar Libertus

I noticed I seem to get a load of rain battles too, glad it's not just me.

I also get a load of battles where unit's use torches even though it is completely bright and daytime, which is a bit weird. Is 'noon' battles % chance also something that can be modified in the files?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

There was a submod but the link is broken now, maybe I still have it somewhere.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...eather-for-3-0

Didnt know this went so deep. The complaint is that, playing as elves on friggin Lothlorien, i would in fact not expect rain every friggin battle. Good to know i wasnt crazy.

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

reminds me of how in empire and napoleon the wind was against you like 70% of the time you entered a naval battle.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Yes... vanilla 3.2 rains a lot, I change it on my submod.

Try this fellas, its a file I made ages ago that reduces the amount of rain quite a lot weather_db.rar Its an alternate weather file and should be compatable with all submods but just save your original weather file just in case on second thoughts you might get rain in some of leos custom settlements but play around using the instructions below if you want to eliminate rain altogether

You can further edit this file if you have an xml editor
    the value is in season, then climate and then pattern, there are numerous patterns for each climate and for each pattern there are a few weather types whos values are fractions of the whole. all the values combined for each pattern must add up to one or the game will crash. e.g- 0.4,0.3,0.15,0.15,
    Happy modding and dont forget to backup
    Goth
    Last edited by Goth; July 22, 2015 at 02:39 AM.